Drowning revisited

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
The general sentiment is that slings are not at risk of drowning in a water dish, especially not a shallow one, but today I was informed of an instance that speaks otherwise, so I had to share to get some discussion going. Note- this was not my T, and it was cleaned up before photos could be taken when it was discovered deceased, I am merely explaining from the information I was provided. The spider in question is a Ephebopus cyanognathus sling, and the water dish looks to be a generic water bottle lid, not too deep or large in comparison, the photo is at an odd angle I'm told. The spider was found entirely limp floating eagle in the lid, stone dead. From the photo below (apparently not long at all before the incident) the spider looks perfectly healthy. Even with all of this information, I am skeptical. My thought is the sling had a preexisting condition or weakness that made it unable to pull up out of the water after taking a drink, not drowning independently from perfect health. What do you think? Should we reconsider this sentiment? Or was this a fluke with outside causes?(which is my thought)

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
Doubt it was a drowning...unless it was witnessed, I don't buy drowning as the cause of death....a fall onto the edge of the water dish is a more likely cause.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
There will always be fluke event, such as if a piece of decor fell onto the T and pinned it into the water dish where it's book lungs were submerged.

I think you're correct of your assumption that the sling probably had a preexisting condition or was genetically inferior, it may not have had the strength to keep its abdomen out of the water, or it simply could have died in the water dish, or it made a dash for water on its last limb.

Just my opinion.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
A T that size could have easily crawled out of a lid like that so I don't think drowning was the cause. TBH there is really no way to know what killed it.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
There will always be fluke event, such as if a piece of decor fell onto the T and pinned it into the water dish where it's book lungs were submerged.

I think you're correct of your assumption that the sling probably had a preexisting condition or was genetically inferior, it may not have had the strength to keep its abdomen out of the water, or it simply could have died in the water dish, or it made a dash for water on its last limb.

Just my opinion.
Yeah. I mostly shared for the purpose of more discussion on the topic.

cold blood

Staff member
They don't just float, slings float very high, with just their feet on the surface basically. Hairs protect it for extended periods of time by capturing air bubbles even if it were to become submerged. To not get out, something would need to be wrong with the sling.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
They don't just float, slings float very high, with just their feet on the surface basically. Hairs protect it for extended periods of time by capturing air bubbles even if it were to become submerged. To not get out, something would need to be wrong with the sling.
Or something pushing down, or keeping the sling from getting out.

Napier19

Arachnopeon
Are you guys 100% confident in this enough that you would leave a water "bowl" in all sling enclosures? Not doubting anyone just like to see how everyone feels. I've read so much on slings get all the moisture they need from prey. I personally don't trust it enough either way. I get water lids with inner circle to cut out. Even then I don't fill it completely, just make sure that it has water in it and moisten the sub around it a bit.

cold blood

Staff member
Are you guys 100% confident in this enough that you would leave a water "bowl" in all sling enclosures?
without a doubt....as soon as the enclosure is big enough for a dish, it gets one. Many people provide water dishes for all their slings.

Napier19

Arachnopeon
There is just so much conflicting information online there's no wonder there repetitive questions all the time. I personally believe that some of the Ts are just so adaptable and hardy, that they've been kept by 500 different people 500 different ways and they all died of old age or a vendictive explicit of a female lol. This of course would exclude Versicolor in which you do everything right and it still dies.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Many spiders will die in their water dish. I have seen it happen with Dolomedes in particular. It's like they know they are dying and try to get water to help them survive but it's not enough. I think I have heard of T's doing it as well but don't quote me on that ;)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Are you guys 100% confident in this enough that you would leave a water "bowl" in all sling enclosures? Not doubting anyone just like to see how everyone feels. I've read so much on slings get all the moisture they need from prey. I personally don't trust it enough either way. I get water lids with inner circle to cut out. Even then I don't fill it completely, just make sure that it has water in it and moisten the sub around it a bit.
All my slings get dishes no matter their size. This is a 4oz condiment cup with a less than 1/4 inch M.balfouri in it. It has had this water dish in with it since I have owned it. (This is why I don't take fast photos with my phone)

Napier19

Arachnopeon
All my slings get dishes no matter their size. This is a 4oz condiment cup with a less than 1/4 inch M.balfouri in it. It has had this water dish in with it since I have owned it. (This is why I don't take fast photos with my phone)
VERY interesting to see this. I will definitely be altering my methods then. See this now really makes me doubt the ability of a sling to drown!!!!

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Here is a post by a member a while back that kinda shows the same thing.

Awesome so far!
I havent been able to get him to eat yet, but its only been a few days so I assume he either ate just before i bought him, or is going to be molting soon. Since he is so small I figure he will molt fairly soon anyways. He is fairly active and seems to be settling in just fine.
I posted this video in another thread too, it looks like he is surfing. I found it pretty cute. cx