Dropping like flies!

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey everybody, I know I posted a while short back ab my AF Avic avic”s and OBT’s deaths. Well, now my AF Nhandu chromatus is gone too. We noticed that she was walking around kind of scrunched up in a sort of stress curl but she was still relatively active -climbing the walls - and eating and drinking etc. This morning I went to check on her and I found her like this:

96DDEF60-21E4-429D-A4B0-17F73BCDB17C.jpeg

Not even in a death curl... but she has certainly passed. I just don’t get it! Is it that every time I buy an adult I seem to get a old one? I mean she’s clearly fully hydrated because her abdomen hasn’t shrunk at all and it looks like she just kind of laid down and “went to sleep.” Haven’t changed any of my methods of husbandry and I’ve had around 50 tarantulas for at least a bit shy of ten years.

The only thing I can think of that has changed… Which is really not much of a change… Is that when my husband feeds the tarantula if he tries to only feed them females because he hates when one or two of them don’t get eaten and in the middle of the night they start cricketing. But that’s only been for the past for five months. And we feed them usually every two weeks and they always have water whether it’s sprayed in the tank or in a water bowl or both.

When I took her out, she was still movable which makes me think that she died within the last 12 hours, because rigor mortis would have sent it in in a few hours and then she would not gain secondary fluidity (Movement after rigor Morris) until she was stinky. She has no smell, no visible injuries, her mouth area is clean and looks healthy. Her joints are intact and there are no mites.

958CE6B5-F3B5-431F-BA9F-B2282B50A752.jpeg

Her color hasn’t dulled or changed (above = crappy pic with indoor lighting)... I just am so stupefied!
Does anyone have any idea what could be happening? I don’t want to lose all of my adult females! Boo Hoo... someone help, and please no judgy (I’m sad enough already). :(

Theneil

Arachnoprince
If you've been doing this 10 years you probably know better than me but these are the things i can think to check...

You said i had a water dish right?

Everything else about the enclosure is up to par?
- No excess height
- Moist but not wet substrate
- Reletively clean (not a bunch of dead feeders or boli)
- Temperatures haven't been crazy?
- No heat lights/pads
- No wild caught prey, decorations, or substrate
- No pesticides used in or near the home
- Nothing sharp in the enclosure

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you've been doing this 10 years you probably know better than me but these are the things i can think to check...

You said i had a water dish right?

Everything else about the enclosure is up to par?
- No excess height
- Moist but not wet substrate
- Reletively clean (not a bunch of dead feeders or boli)
- Temperatures haven't been crazy?
- No heat lights/pads
- No wild caught prey, decorations, or substrate
- No pesticides used in or near the home
- Nothing sharp in the enclosure
No, I appreciated u asking this.. I checked and the only stretch is we have gardeners who may have sprayed. But they have been doing our yard for years...
That’s all I can think.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
No, I appreciated u asking this.. I checked and the only stretch is we have gardeners who may have sprayed. But they have been doing our yard for years...
That’s all I can think.
Were the windows open in the room when the gardeners were around? If they did happen to spray it could have 'wafted' in through there. Not sure what else could be the cause. I'm sorry for your losses.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Were the windows open in the room when the gardeners were around? If they did happen to spray it could have 'wafted' in through there. Not sure what else could be the cause. I'm sorry for your losses.
Nope... I never open the windows nearwhere the gardeners tend.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Did you buy them from the same dealer? you may have been sold old former breeders he wanted to get rid of. A well known dealer told me that dishonest dealers do that sometimes.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Did you buy them from the same dealer? you may have been sold old former breeders he wanted to get rid of. A well known dealer told me that dishonest dealers do that sometimes.
That’s awful! They should disclose that! But not all from same dealers...

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
That’s awful! They should disclose that! But not all from same dealers...
That's why I won't buy adult females from most dealers anymore. The last time I did a P. regalis died after a month and a P. vittata died after 6 months, that's when I asked this dealer about what happened and she let me know that this goes on.

Minty

@londontarantulas
Sorry for your loss.

I think, given your experience, it's probably just an unfortunate coincidence that you have had three adult deaths (of females) in a relatively short time frame.

Impossible to really know what caused her to die.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
While i don't doubt that this happens to a degree, i doubt that most people (even experienced breeders) would know that the tarantula is going to die in x months. I would think they probably have a max number of females they want for breeding at any given time and when they exceed that number it's out with the old first, but i don't think that's doing anything wrong and its also not a guarentee that the females wont live another 10 years with the next owner.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
That's why I won't buy adult females from most dealers anymore. The last time I did a P. regalis died after a month and a P. vittata died after 6 months, that's when I asked this dealer about what happened and she let me know that this goes on.
I lost two females of one baboons about a year after buying them, one was 6 months actually . One bad molt other not sure what happened.im sticking to slings , from now on!!:(

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
While i don't doubt that this happens to a degree, i doubt that most people (even experienced breeders) would know that the tarantula is going to die in x months. I would think they probably have a max number of females they want for breeding at any given time and when they exceed that number it's out with the old first, but i don't think that's doing anything wrong and its also not a guarentee that the females wont live another 10 years with the next owner.
I'm sorry, but If you've had a female for even 8 yrs. I don't want it. Unless you want to give it away. I still buy females, but only sub-adults for the most part, unless I really trust the dealer (and that's only a couple of dealers).

Theneil

Arachnoprince
I'm sorry, but If you've had a female for even 8 yrs. I don't want it. Unless you want to give it away. I still buy females, but only sub-adults for the most part, unless I really trust the dealer (and that's only a couple of dealers).
Thats understandable, i just don't like blanket statements that make any vendor selling and adult female a crook. But hey, i've only been here a year and change so it could be justified...

Personally, i will only buy an adult female if i plan to breed her in the near future due to the financial set back and also i enjou watching slings grow.

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
Sorry for your losses OP. Hope that if there is an explanation it is found and quick.

I bought a supposedly 4 year old AF P. regalis. She's awesome. I'd buy her again. Heck, I'll take any t, no matter the age or condition given the right circumstances..

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Thats understandable, i just don't like blanket statements that make any vendor selling and adult female a crook. But hey, i've only been here a year and change so it could be justified...

Personally, i will only buy an adult female if i plan to breed her in the near future due to the financial set back and also i enjou watching slings grow.
I'm sorry if you thought I was implying that most dealers are crooks. In fact I think most are at least fair. But until I get to know them, or at least have dealt with them several times, I have no way of knowing who's honest and who isn't. And would really rather not get burned to find out.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
I'm sorry if you thought I was implying that most dealers are crooks. In fact I think most are at least fair. But until I get to know them, or at least have dealt with them several times, I have no way of knowing who's honest and who isn't. And would really rather not get burned to find out.
Very understandable. i too have had mostly all good experiences with vendors and the only one who has screwed me over did so on a sling purchase. LOL

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

I love raising slings, but sometimes there’s just an amazing AF I just HAVE to have. This N chromatus was one of those AFs. Guess I ought to ask ab age from now on... *sigh* then again, if an AF has had more than one previous owner, the vendor may not know if the AF is elderly.

Last edited:

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Very understandable. i too have had mostly all good experiences with vendors and the only one who has screwed me over did so on a sling purchase. LOL
I think it’s more common to buy a tiny sling and have it die soon after purchase than an AF... then again just due to nature the lives of slings until a certain size/age are fickle regardless