dropped my B.Smithi

dysera

Arachnopeon
she just molted 2 days ago and while i took her old skin away, she ran out and fell about 50cm tall onto a carpet and broke her leg. she bleeding badly, i need help

i applied flour on the injured leg, and the ruler is for size reference.

Attachments

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Usually people recommend corn starch, aside from that and keeping an eye on it I’m not sure there’s anything you can do

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
looks like her chance of survival is slim to none :sad:
The title implies you dropped her, but here you say she ran out. What actually happened?

Make sure she ha access to water. A leg injury is less serious than a head injury

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Hope she makes it and the ‘bleed out’ stops or drops the leg with no further complications. 😢 Even with carpet I now work directly on the floor anytime I open an enclosure, just one less thing to worry about going unexpectedly.

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
As said above provide water so the lost fluids can be replaced.
Providing water and stopping the bleeding (wich you've done) are really all you can do.
When the spider decides the leg is a problem it will self-amputate; no assistance should be required.

dysera

Arachnopeon
The title implies you dropped her, but here you say she ran out. What actually happened?

Make sure she ha access to water. A leg injury is less serious than a head injury
she ran out. I apologize for the misleading title, english is not my first language.

As said above provide water so the lost fluids can be replaced.
Providing water and stopping the bleeding (wich you've done) are really all you can do.
When the spider decides the leg is a problem it will self-amputate; no assistance should be required.
thanks for the info

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
she just molted 2 days ago and while i took her old skin away, she ran out and fell about 50cm tall onto a carpet and broke her leg. she bleeding badly, i need help
Sorry to hear about this. As long as that is the only injury the good news is that tarantulas can grow a leg back in a couple of molts.

I'm more interested in the type of enclosure you are using. I've never had a tarantula run out of any enclosure I use.

Also exactly where was the tarantula when you removed the molt? Did you use tongs?

Could you take a photo of the whole enclosure?

For a Brachypelma or Tliltocatl terrestrial to run out of the enclosure I just have to see this setup and exactly what you were doing.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
That's B. hamorii, not B. smithi.

Leg injuries are generally a non-issue as autotomy is a thing and legs usually only take a couple of moults to fully regenerate.

dysera

Arachnopeon
That's B. hamorii, not B. smithi.

Leg injuries are generally a non-issue as autotomy is a thing and legs usually only take a couple of moults to fully regenerate.
Really? when I bought her from pet store I was told it's a b.smithi (see my profile pic). Probably cause both species are almost identical. Thanks for the correction tho..

Sorry to hear about this. As long as that is the only injury the good news is that tarantulas can grow a leg back in a couple of molts.

I'm more interested in the type of enclosure you are using. I've never had a tarantula run out of any enclosure I use.

Also exactly where was the tarantula when you removed the molt? Did you use tongs?

Could you take a photo of the whole enclosure?

For a Brachypelma or Tliltocatl terrestrial to run out of the enclosure I just have to see this setup and exactly what you were doing.
This is the enclosure I'm currently using. Unfortunately I use hand, and she was on the exactly spot in the picture.

First I took the big piece, then the carapace piece which she stepped on. I gently pull out and she climb onto my hand (i'm not startled), unto the edge of the enclosure cover and then fell.

I place the enclosure on a plastic stool with 4 of each legs in individual plastic container fill with water to prevent "ant raid".

Attachments

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
This is the enclosure I'm currently using. Unfortunately I use hand, and she was on the exactly spot in the picture.

First I took the big piece, then the carapace piece which she stepped on. I gently pull out and she climb onto my hand (i'm not startled), unto the edge of the enclosure cover and then fell.

I place the enclosure on a plastic stool with 4 of each legs in individual plastic container fill with water to prevent "ant raid".
Hmmmmm....well personally I would use a taller enclosure than that. Also you need alot more substrate not just for a burrow which it might not even use but to hold moisture better.

Hands????? Seriously???? Buy tongs, your hands should never ever go inside a T's enclosure. You risk getting urticating barbs from the NW's that have them, (which is most of them). You can get bit or injure your tarantula.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Is this common in Malaysia? You rehoused it over a tub of water to prevent ants, but it didn’t fall in the water?

pongdict

Arachnosquire
Is this common in Malaysia? You rehoused it over a tub of water to prevent ants, but it didn’t fall in the water?
Yup it is common if the Philippines too. Ants are everywhere! One of my first T died from ants :sad:. I think each leg of the stool has a small cup or container with water, just enough to surround the leg with water, I don't think it's a tub.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Yup it is common if the Philippines too. Ants are everywhere! One of my first T died from ants :sad:. I think each leg of the stool has a small cup or container with water, just enough to surround the leg with water, I don't think it's a tub.
Interesting! I knew ants were a bigger thing but I hadn’t heard of the stool cup/tub tip before! I can see how that would work to stop them from climbing up and getting to the tarantula.

pongdict

Arachnosquire
Yup, its such a big thing that you cant leave food in the dinner table unattended for too long or else ants will be everywhere. Once done with the meal we kept food in the fridge or in sealed containers. We cant eat in our bedrooms coz food crumbs will have ants everywhere in the room too. My kids eat everywhere in the house here now and I hardly see any ants at all. Food is left on the table all day and no ants in sight.

PhoenixFyre

Arachnomom
Arachnosupporter +
It's like that in Hawaii as well. I would constantly clean just to stay on top of the ant problem.

Between the ants, centipedes, scorpions, and house spiders the size of Greyhound busses...I don't know which was worse! :rofl:

dysera

Arachnopeon
Hmmmmm....well personally I would use a taller enclosure than that. Also you need alot more substrate not just for a burrow which it might not even use but to hold moisture better.

Hands????? Seriously???? Buy tongs, your hands should never ever go inside a T's enclosure. You risk getting urticating barbs from the NW's that have them, (which is most of them). You can get bit or injure your tarantula.
I see, will get a tongs soon, Thanks bro.

Interesting! I knew ants were a bigger thing but I hadn’t heard of the stool cup/tub tip before! I can see how that would work to stop them from climbing up and getting to the tarantula.
Yea, ant is a bitch. I had an entire culture of mealworms raided by ants so I did this cup with water thing to prevent it for my T's

Anyway, I checked her earlier today and she's doing great. Flour around the wound is fully harden.