Drooling on the wall

Morr

Arachnopeon
Hello,

I made a thread a few days ago, about my new Chaco's bad attitude, and propensity to sit on the walls of her enclosure. Trying to get her in a better mood, I raised the substrate level to twice as high, leaving a space of about her legspan between the substrate and the roof.
This has, however, not made the difference I would have liked. She doesn't wander about all the time or anything, and she eats as well as any T I have ever seen (I have genic, and my brother a Parahybana). She still sits on the walls way more than on the ground, and today I caught sight of her grooming herself, on the wall. For about 10 minutes she sat, cleaning her teeth and feet, before she stopped... and started drooling. Clear liquid leaked from her mouth, and dripped down on the substrate, forming a puddle there. I'll post two pics, showing this... so... does anybody have any idea what it might be?

She has a wide and shallow waterbowl for water, and the substrate is more peat than vermiculite. The tempeterature ranges from about 22-26 degrees C, so I'm having trouble imagining what it is she doesn't like, if anything. And, she's in a well ventilated pet pal.

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
I'd say don't worry too much as long as she is eating.
How long have you had her?
If she is fairly new, she may still be trying to settle in.

My T's act this way when I change their substrate, it
takes time for them to settle down.

Nice pictures by the way:)

Kali

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The whitish color around the mouth kind of looks like the little infection constantly popping up in new T's. could the drool actually be a leak in the exoskeleton and in reality be hemolymph?
Hopefully it is just odd behavior on a stressed T.

Kristin

Morr

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the replies,

Hmm, if she is trying to settle in, she's been trying for 20 days, which seems a little much? I don't know for sure.

Anyway, I don't see any white stuff? Did the spiders with that infection eat as well? I doubt it is blood, since it was coming very much from her mouth. Hmm, seeing her feeding-response though, one might almost venture to visualize her attacking the three small aquarium-stones in the enclosure when no one is looking, thus gainin a leak somewhere around the mouth :p

Maybe she is desperate for some fresh air? This would seem odd though, since most of the lid is perforated (all of it except the little hatch).

I guess I can only hope she doesn't suffer from som kind of disease, or parasites, and that she'll settle in/calm down/come down soon. :( :confused:

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
See this thread for the drool/venom/barf thing! It's pretty normal. I had wondered about that too.;)

Also... the kritter keeper seems a little small compared to the size of the T, but hard to tell from the pic. Does she have plenty of room? Dig her a little hole as a "starter" burrow, I've done that before... it seems they feel a little more comforatable when the substrate isn't perfectly flat. It has worked for some of my newbies... but not ALL!

http://arachnopets.com/arachnoboards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9850&highlight=venom

Last edited:

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
re: /drooling

Originally posted by MizM
http://arachnopets.com/arachnoboards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9850&highlight=venom

See this thread for the drool/venom/barf thing! It's pretty normal. I had wondered about that too.;)
I couldn't get to the link. For some reason, it comes up as an error.

As to the drooling, I've seen my P. cancerides do that. She was refusing to eat and standing in the middle of her enclosure drooling like that. Within the next few days, I found her freshly molted so I'm guessing that had something to do with it? :?

Wysi

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Whoopsie, try it again.... (I'm blonde!!):)

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I believe he said in his previous thread that he had created a hidey-hole for it.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
:rolleyes: Sorry... didn't see the previous thread!:rolleyes:

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Originally posted by Morr
Anyway, the plot thickens. What is wrong with this spid?

If it wasn't for the fact it is eating, I would bet it is getting ready to molt. That may still be a possibility. ;)

Wysi

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Drooling

Hi

My 7 inch Chaco did the same drooling when I got her and it was a clear waterlike liquid, all over the top screen when she got stuck, ( I changed into fiberglass like a lid).
This was nearly a year ago and she's a healhty T today, , so nothing to worry about I think:)

Kenny