Drinking Question

General Zod

Arachnopeon
I have a young L. Parahybana, maybe 3" tops. I think he may be close to premolt and the past few days I've been using the water drop method to test if he might be hungry before putting a cricket in there. I've read that if they respond to the water drop, they'll probably take food. Not only did he respond to it, he pressed his body up against the enclosure wall to drink the water droplets that were sliding down. I let a few more slide down for him and he took those as well, like he was really thirsty. He has a water dish he never uses (I know that is normal) and being an LP he eats quite often. So if he gets moisture from his food, has a water dish and I mist the opposite end of enclosure once or twice a week, should I be concerned?

Sana

Arachnoprince
How big is the enclosure and how far from the tarantula's retreat is the water? I have occasionally experienced this with younger tarantulas in larger enclosures. Moving the water dish close to their hide generally gets them to drink from the dish more frequently though not always. As far as premolt goes, my go to when I think they are close to a molt but I'm not completely sure is to offer a prekilled cricket. If they are hungry they'll eat it and if they don't it's a lot easier to remove a dead cricket then a live one. Added bonus is that the cricket can't hurt the tarantula if it does molt. One other question, as regards misting are you talking a spray bottle or a syringe? I ask because in my experience a spray bottle doesn't do a lot for keeping the humidity at a level that my tarantulas prefer. I switched to using a syringe to add water to the substrate and have had good results with long lasting humidity.

General Zod

Arachnopeon
Right now he's in a small kritter keeper about a foot long. I wasn't going to move him to a larger enclosure until he started spending more time out of his hide. Since I got him he's only come out twice, that I know of. I haven't tried the prekilled cricket thing yet. It's definitely helpful advice and I'll consider that next time. I overflow the water dish and mist the substrate on the opposite end of where his hide/burrow is. It's a small enclosure so it doesn't take much.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I don't like kritter keepers, there's no humid microclimate, and houses are kept dry. With that open lid, the spider's subject to hot/cold drafts, fumes, sprays, etc.

General Zod

Arachnopeon
I don't like kritter keepers, there's no humid microclimate, and houses are kept dry. With that open lid, the spider's subject to hot/cold drafts, fumes, sprays, etc.
Do you think that's why he seemed so thirsty? The enclosure is too dry? Like I said I'm only housing him there until he spends more time out of his burrow. I'd do it now but I don't want to stress him out by destroying his home. He seems fine otherwise. No stress curls or hair kicking, he's eating well etc

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I keep Megaphobema robustum, Ephebopus murinus, Hysterocrates gigas and other Theraphosidae that needs an eye when humidity is concerned in those and I have zero issues. If you don't like KK fine, but don't tell me that.

I keep my room in full air circulation/recycle, the humidity in the air is always more than 70%

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
If internal humidity is an issue for a T in KK, I just place some cling wrap or cellophane on top without blocking all the air flow. I have a lot of KKs, so sorta need to use them in spite of lids.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
To be honest I've never covered part of the ventilation. I just keep an eye and add water in the substrate when needed. The important thing is air flow/circulation, slightly moist/moist substrate (never wet), a water dish, proper ventilation.

KK are only enclosures like others, and I use everything: KK, glass, plastic...

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think Ts just do that. All of my Ts have water dishes, but for fun I like to water them like that sometimes. I've gotten most of my larger Ts and juveniles to drink like that. I think it's cute.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I keep Megaphobema robustum, Ephebopus murinus, Hysterocrates gigas and other Theraphosidae that needs an eye when humidity is concerned in those and I have zero issues. If you don't like KK fine, but don't tell me that.

I keep my room in full air circulation/recycle, the humidity in the air is always more than 70%
I use KK's if need be as well, even on humid species. It's just a matter of keeping an eye on humidity. Although, Italy isn't exactly an arid environment, you might even be able to get away with "bone dry" in you M. robustum cage! ;)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I use KK's if need be as well, even on humid species. It's just a matter of keeping an eye on humidity. Although, Italy isn't exactly an arid environment, you might even be able to get away with "bone dry" in you M. robustum cage! ;)
Probably but I wouldn't risk that. I live in the "Tuscany of the North" and here there's a gentle breeze from the hill, combined with the right humidity in the air, always. I view this area as one that's perfect for T's I have to say my man.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Probably but I wouldn't risk that. I live in the "Tuscany of the North" and here there's a gentle breeze from the hill, combined with the right humidity in the air, always. I view this area as one that's perfect for T's I have to say my man.
Same here, humidity is always high.
Although L.parahybana seems to like it a bit on the humid side, i dont think it is absolutely required. But that's my limited experience with one of this genus. I just wet half of tge substrate a little or overflow the waterdish now and then and let it dry out.

Sana

Arachnoprince
Silly humid creatures. I prefer my air around 30% humidity. I can actually breathe that way. If we get up to 50% we all cry about the awful humidity. It also adds a little challenge to husbandry so you never get bored.;)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Silly humid creatures. I prefer my air around 30% humidity. I can actually breathe that way. If we get up to 50% we all cry about the awful humidity. It also adds a little challenge to husbandry so you never get bored.;)
I'm personally a fan of single-digit humidity ranges. I want it to feel like opening a hot oven when I open my front door :D

General Zod

Arachnopeon
I think Ts just do that. All of my Ts have water dishes, but for fun I like to water them like that sometimes. I've gotten most of my larger Ts and juveniles to drink like that. I think it's cute.
That's awesome! So did I.

General Zod

Arachnopeon
Same here, humidity is always high.
Although L.parahybana seems to like it a bit on the humid side, i dont think it is absolutely required. But that's my limited experience with one of this genus. I just wet half of tge substrate a little or overflow the waterdish now and then and let it dry out.
That's exactly what I've been doing. So far my LP seems okay if a bit on the skittish side. I just got worried that I missed something important.