Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Drilling holes

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Haley Rutherford, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Advertisement
    073AA269-26F1-4080-BE1A-7C834048AFF6.jpeg I have this zoo med terrarium that doesn’t have good ventilation and i was wondering if i can drill holes into the side of it and if anyone has done it and what they used.
    Thanks

2. EulersK

EulersK Arachnonomicon Staff Member

You can drill into glass, yes, but not without specialized equipment. It would be far easier (and cheaper) to simply replace the screen top with plexiglass. Lowe's will cut it to size for you, and drilling the holes simply requires a typical drill.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. It has a mesh but for my pink toe i was told it wasn’t enough ventilation

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. It's for cross-vent. But I have to agree. Drilling through glass is fairly tricky. You would probably be better off getting a new enclosure with suitable ventilation built in.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. EulersK

The likes of @viper69 can expand on ventilation - I personally don't keep avics. But I believe it's perfectly fine, although you will want to get rid of that mesh. Tarsal claws can get caught in there, and worse, tarantulas can easily chew through that stuff if they so choose.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. I know someone who does construction i guess if they have the tools i can try it and if it works cool if not I’ll have to get a new one if it breaks or i can’t drill into it anyways i was just wondering if anyone’s done it successfully

7. It’s not exactly mesh it’s a screen does that still count?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. EulersK

No... no, that's definitely a mesh screen. Not sure what you think I mean by "mesh", but there's a picture floating around of an adult tarantula that chewed through the much thicker (and metal) style of mesh. Your choice, just a word of warning.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. Oh
    okay gotcha

10. beaker41

beaker41 Arachnoknight

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  11. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

I have successfully kept Avics in glass terrariums. Granted, the Exo Terra models have a strip of ventilation below the front-opening doors (yours does not appear to have any ventilation besides the lid), but the airflow is probably not that much greater than yours.

That being said, I prefer a front-opening enclosure for Avics, though people use the top-opening enclosures too.

I agree with the recommendation to cover or replace the mesh.

12. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

I know those tanks. You have a screen top, which forms geometric shape of tiny squares, often referred to as a mesh. People think of mesh as being soft, not metal.

Replace the screen with acrylic if possible.

You can drill glass, I've seen it done. A few people have done it on here, at least one posted on it. It's not "hard", but it's not trivial.

The people who are real pro's at it are all the saltwater aquarium keepers, a lot of videos on how to do it, mind you their glass is thicker and stronger.

Also for an Avic they really do need some cross ventilation.

13. 8A24BE06-1356-46C2-8414-357CA20984CE.jpeg
    Yeah i just took my loss and got one of these ‍♀️ Oh well live and learn not to by the more attractive products

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.