drilling guides for ventilation holes

user 666

Arachnobaron
I have seen on Youtube that some enthusiasts use paper patterns as guides so that they can drill a neat, clean set of ventilation holes.

does anyone know where I can download those guides?

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Nope, but if you drill the holes slow and precise you can get it to look really good.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I mark them with a tape measure and a sharpie maker. Then fire up the ole' soldering iron. The result is clean and exact holes without much effort, but do it in a well ventilated area, it tends to stink.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Use a speed square to easily measure and draw lines horizontally and vertically. Then just drill or melt a hole at every intersection or in a fun pattern.

If you don't have a speed square get one. They're the best.

user 666

Arachnobaron
I do not find any of these "just be a better carpenter than you have the skills for' responses to be all that useful.

If I had the ability to drill the holes freehand and end up with a nice neat design, do you really think I would be asking for a pattern?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I read the responses and your post @user 666.

Which are you really asking:

1. How to drill holes better, as in the holes look nicer?

2. How to avoid measuring with a ruler so the pattern looks nicer than eyeballing it?

What I can tell you is a pattern only addresses number 2. And can be made in MS Word, that's what people do.

If you want A's to 1., reply back here.

Last edited:

user 666

Arachnobaron
I read the responses and your post @user 666.

Which are you really asking:

1. How to drill holes better, as in the holes look nicer?

2. How to avoid measuring with a ruler so the pattern looks nicer than eyeballing it?

What I can tell you is a pattern only addresses number 2. And can be made in MS Word, that's what people do.

If you want A's to 1., reply back here.
I hadn't thought of making my own pattern with MSWord, thanks. This detail will improve results measurably.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
I checked that link, nice item!
One could do the same thing w/h a piece of scrap acrylic. Building my own arboreal enclosures I have templates using cardboard stock as guides. If one hole isn't in perfect alignment with the others, not a big deal, I'm not that anal.
I only drill holes in acrylic. Fumes using a soldering iron makes me nauseous to the point of regurgitating. Yes, even in a well ventilated area, only takes the slightest whiff. Lol! "To each his own." ;)

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
That piece from west marine is cool, but seems a bit overkill to me.

I don't mean to offend, but you are making it sound hard to use a ruler to draw horizontal and vertical lines with a marker.

We all have our own ways of doing things. If you prefer to print off a piece of paper with lines or dots on it, that'll work too. I haven't done it before so I can't say for sure, but I would think there is potential for the paper stencil to move and skew your lines at some point. With a ruler (or speed square like I suggested) and sharpie, your marks aren't going to move while you're drilling.

If you make a wrong mark while drawing just use some alcohol to erase it and go again. Once you have your pattern set, get to burning or drilling!

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
Could just use a ruler to mark hole locations on a peice of paper, tape paper to enclosure, drill on the marks, remove paper, repeate as required.

xsearcher

Arachnopeon
I tape graph paper to the acrylic. Add pencil marks to where I want the wholes and drill. It's easier than using a ruler.