Drift wood?

kristal_kaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Please let me know if natural malaysian drift wood is safe in an avic tank. thank you

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Please let me know if natural malaysian drift wood is safe in an avic tank. thank you
i think if its not somethin you brought from the pet store you just have to heat treat it in the oven for 350 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes after that it should be fine..but someone else should put their opinions in on this also please..

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Just make sure you also mount it to something. It can be heavy, and if it falls over on a T, it can crush it. Or cause a fatal fall.

My $ 0.02

kristal_kaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I bought it at a pet store, but it has a nice smell, not cedary but fresh....I was just wondering if drift wood had the same insect repellant properties that cedar and pine do...cuz then it wouldnt be safe for my T

Sunar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I bought it at a pet store, but it has a nice smell, not cedary but fresh....I was just wondering if drift wood had the same insect repellant properties that cedar and pine do...cuz then it wouldnt be safe for my T
Not that i've ever heard. Friend of mine uses driftwood for his scorps.

~Sun

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I use two types of driftwood. One from freshwater rivers and the other from the sea. The ones from the sea look bleached. Salt has permeated the wood, so you need to wash it well. One advantage is that molds don't grow on them. The freshwater driftwood is a lot darker in color.

If it has been weathered and exposed to the elements most likely all the harmful sap has already been leeched out. Besides, if it is from Malaysia it could be any of the tropical hardwood species and not cedar or pine.

Lover of 8 legs

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Driftwood is not a type of wood. If I throw a piece of cedar in the lake it becomes driftwood but it's still CEDAR:wall: :wall: :wall:

mikeymo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i have malaysian driftwood that i bought from PJ's Pets (it's a chain here in Canada) in my Rosie tank. She loves it. So there's nothing wrong with the malaysian wood persay. If you just found it outside then yes, you have to heat-treat it also.