Dream Reptile and/or Amphibian?

IamNick

Arachnopeon
A little late, but definitely a black throat monitor, tegu, and PDF's. I currently have a vivarium i've had set up for over a year now for poison dart frogs, just haven't dove in yet, can't decide if i'm fully up to the task of fruit flies, so that'l determine whether i obtain some probably ranitomeya fantasticas true nominals or not and just have a viv flourishing with iso's and springs. For the monitor and tegu, hopefully one day if i have the space to make some enormous enclosures.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
A little late, but definitely a black throat monitor, tegu, and PDF's. I currently have a vivarium i've had set up for over a year now for poison dart frogs, just haven't dove in yet, can't decide if i'm fully up to the task of fruit flies, so that'l determine whether i obtain some probably ranitomeya fantasticas true nominals or not and just have a viv flourishing with iso's and springs. For the monitor and tegu, hopefully one day if i have the space to make some enormous enclosures.
There are a few froggers here in the site :) , fruit flies are pretty easy to culture.

IamNick

Arachnopeon
I've noticed, and its pretty awesome! They seem like it, I guess I'll have to just try my hand at them, thank you

Cas S

Arachnoknight
Too many to choose from, heres a 'short' list. Not in any order but the Varanids are at the top of my list right now.

Varanus pilbarensis
Varanus glauerti
Varanus tristis

Rhacodactylus trachyrhynchus trachyrhynchus

Uroplatus sikorae
Uroplatus lineatus

sooo many dart frogs because of all the color morphs, but generally I like anything with red, blue, green, interesting patters, nice contrast, and/or rare. Examples are Ranitomeyas, Oophaga, Mantellas, and Ameerega silverstonei. There are more frogs but I want to give equal focus to the lizards.

Spasshasser

Arachnopeon
Triocerus Melleri (Mellers Chameleon) any day of the week. Wanted one for over 20 years now. One day I'll have a walk in enclosure with a spot to sit and enjoy these amazing guys. For now though I no longer have the time to properly care and breed chams like I used to. Absolutely amazing herps.

itstracc

Arachnopeon
I'd love an emerald tree monitor and a green tree python! In case it wasn't obvious, tropical arboreal reptiles are my weakness haha, as are any green reptiles in general

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Growing up I always really badly wanted a Epicrates cenchria, the rainbow boa or Brazilian rainbow boa. One day I’m sure I’ll get one one day when I get out of a small apartment, just not a huge priority.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I recently added a new dream reptile - the Bismark ringed python. While I've known about this species for years (even saw an adult at the Toledo, Ohio zoo), I only recently found out they are available as captive bred babies, although rarely and expensively, ranging in the $700 to $800 range. And while the adults don't keep the amazing black and orange coloration of the hatchlings, they are still quite striking, especially in the light where they have an iridescent sheen. Check out these photos on Google image.

Last edited:

Reezelbeezelbug

Arachnosquire
We already have the Giant Mexican Horned Lizards, but a dream animal would be the Australian version, the Thorny Devil. I'm also gearing up to get a Brazilian Rainbow Boa, my dream snake. However if the horned lizards drop eggs this year (it's looking good) then my wife will want to keep them all and I probably won't get a snake lol.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
but a dream animal would be the Australian version, the Thorny Devil
This will sadly have to remain a dream, and not just because of the Aussie wildlife export ban. This species is a highly specialized feeder, eating only certain species of ants, other ants are rejected. even zoos in Australia rarely keep them.

Reezelbeezelbug

Arachnosquire
This will sadly have to remain a dream, and not just because of the Aussie wildlife export ban. This species is a highly specialized feeder, eating only certain species of ants, other ants are rejected. even zoos in Australia rarely keep them.
I knew about the export issue, but didn't know necessarily about the ants. Interesting. Most of the North American horned lizards (horny toads) are specialized to certain ant species and don't do well in captivity due to that. Luckily the Giant Mexican Horned Lizards (Phrynosoma asio) that we have typically only eat about 30% of their diet in ants. People think we're crazy when we tell them we have a tub of biting, stinging ants in the fridge :rofl:

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Agreed. Even if you could get the specimens themselves out it would be very, very, very (you are getting close to impossible) difficult to legally import the ant species required to feed them, especially in the number you'd need to start captive colonies; the permitting and containment facility requirements would probably be a nightmare for a home enthusiast.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Reezelbeezelbug

Arachnosquire
Agreed. Even if you could get the specimens themselves out it would be very, very, very (you are getting close to impossible) difficult to legally import the ant species required to feed them, especially in the number you'd need to start captive colonies; the permitting and containment facility requirements would probably be a nightmare for a home enthusiast.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Just like I tell my wife when she wakes up mad at me for something I did in a dream: dreams aren't based in reality :rofl: