Dreaded Fungus Gnats

Royalty

Arachnoknight
I have springtails for my tarantula enclosures so they do not see to affect those much, the issue is they have been attacking my houseplants a bit. I have some roses so I can't let them dry out too bad. I have started to apply a garlic/dishsoap spray but I am not sure that is very effective and I don't want to spray so much around my tarantulas. I am thinking of introducing springtails to the roses/pothos etc since I read they do not attack living tissue but rather dead tissue. How would they outcompete the fungus gnats tho if they are not eating the living roots?

Arachnoenthusiast

Arachnoknight
Are you opposed to using bug killer? Since it's not in an enclosure I have had very good luck using household bug control on fungus gnats. Obviously cant if it's in an enclosure

Royalty

Arachnoknight
Are you opposed to using bug killer? Since it's not in an enclosure I have had very good luck using household bug control on fungus gnats. Obviously cant if it's in an enclosure
I am nervous using it around my tarantulas tho, I could move the plants to another room but I would want to put them back to the tarantula room again.

Arachnoenthusiast

Arachnoknight
I am nervous using it around my tarantulas tho, I could move the plants to another room but I would want to put them back to the tarantula room again.
I use granular so I know where it is. For me it has been working with no I'll effect

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I have springtails for my tarantula enclosures so they do not see to affect those much, the issue is they have been attacking my houseplants a bit. I have some roses so I can't let them dry out too bad. I have started to apply a garlic/dishsoap spray but I am not sure that is very effective and I don't want to spray so much around my tarantulas. I am thinking of introducing springtails to the roses/pothos etc since I read they do not attack living tissue but rather dead tissue. How would they outcompete the fungus gnats tho if they are not eating the living roots?
Sounds like you need to soak some mosquito dunks in water, and add that water to your soil with fungus gnats. Its a bacteria, and I believe there are several other brands than mosquito dunks.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
You can add isopods, they are their natural predator, and like isopods they only ear rotten stuff keeping the plant healthier.

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
Fungus gnats can be decimated with yellow sticky cards. No pesticide involved.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
You can add isopods, they are their natural predator, and like isopods they only ear rotten stuff keeping the plant healthier.
I have them in some terrariums. The issue was the potted plants. I do not think the isopods would do well in those.

I ended up getting a spray that is for the plants and you can soak in to the roots. I have them in a quarantined area. I tried very hard to find other options but I could not find any for sale locally. My one rose looks pretty stressed and dropped its blooms. Made me kinda depressed so I bought an orchid to help cheer me up. (away from the quarantine area)

Arachnoenthusiast

Arachnoknight
Bonide systemic house plant insect control is what I use. It is granular. I take the plants into another room. Apply it, clean any debris from the container and put it back in its spot. Have had no issues to date, it applys to the soil directly so no worries of it falling from the plant