Dramatic rescue of a baby Vagans

Amelia

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I got home from the store tonight, excited that I found a big bag carrot strips for fifty cents for the roaches, and saw the lid off B. vagans #3... :eek: This of course is my favorite one of the three. When he gets scared he covers up his eyes "She can't see me. She can't see me..." He always keeps his substrate nice and neat, doesn't do anything dramatic with it. Occasionally he'll mound it up and then flatten it out the next day... he's just the cutest.

Before I panicked, I looked around and quickly found him. He was caught in the web of a little house spider just swinging. Helpless. Without much thought, I plucked him from the web and he latched himself onto my thumb like a bandaid...

Again, without much though, which I quickly paid for, I started dewebbing him while he was on my thumb. He then kind of bit the cuticle of my thumb. It was so strange... it stung, then my thumb kind of went numb and the cuticle got all red, but now it is fine. Lasted no more than ten minutes. It is still a little red and twinges occasionally, but I'll be fine.

I then proceeded to deweb him on the table. I just got a couple pairs of tweezers, and occasionally a knife point to gently pull the nasty web off him.

As legs started getting free, he got more and more "fight" to him. He flipped himself over here.

Aww, poor little one. So scared.

Here he was the one hanging onto the tweezers not the other way. He was fiercely trying to defend himself.

He still has pieces of web on him, but his mouth is clear, spinnerets are fine, lungs uncovered and all his legs are free. I think he'll be okay, but we will just have to see. This was a lot of stress. I'm hoping I didn't do much damage to him while pulling the web off. I was as careful as I could be.

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow...What a story. :eek:
I hope he'll be okay. Cute little fellow.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Good save! {D This just made my night. A tarantula getting caught by a spider is just plain funny!

Amelia

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The house spider was TINY too! LOL It did not seem happy that I stole its monster meal...

Kirsten

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Awww... what a little cutie:) Come into my web said the spider to the ...errr...spider:?{D{D

Tindalos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wow that is insane, i remember reading about another T owner how his P.metallica escaped and a house spider made an expensive meal out it.

Amelia

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just an update on the little vagans. It stands to reason that the house spider bit this little guy, that paired with the stress of the dewebbing, and the possibility that he could have encountered a poisonous substance on his jaunt outside his enclosure, and a thousand other possibilities, the little guy has not been doing well. He is still alive. The first few days he looked like he was starting to curl, but he has hung in there. He hasn't moved very much, and when I disturbed him to dampen the paper towel I have him on, he started thrashing and twitching violently for a few seconds before going still again. I have been debating whether or not to just end it, or see if he'll pull through. Last night, he was nearer the middle of the cup and extending and flexing his legs undisturbed every now and then while I was feeding the others. He generally looks "better" than he did a few days ago, but still not well. I suppose I will just leave him and see what happens.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm assuming that by "house spider" you mean a pholcid spider. They feed on other spiders, so your little guy was lucky that you came along when you did. I had an escaped Holothele that wasn't so lucky - the pholcid got a good meal. As for the spider biting your tarantula - it probably would not move in for the "killing bite" until the tarantula was pretty well immobilized. Sounds like the situation when you discovered it was very close to that point.

Abby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Aww I hope your baby pulls through and he's just taking some time to get the venom out of his system :(

Amelia

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah Bill. The "house spider" was close to the sling and ran away when I plucked him from the web. I got there just in time.

Just an update... If he dies now, it will be from poor husbandry, not his ordeal. Last night I looked in just in time to see him molt. He had a great molt, no problems, didn't get stuck and is starting to act normal again. He hasn't eaten since his ordeal, so he should be quite ravenous when I decide to feed him next.

I am so happy. B. vagans really ARE hardy little spiders.

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
lucky save. i think the slings are so cute especially in threat display. also, nice byrd knife
--Dan