Dramatic ASF Story Time

KenEnd

Arachnopeon
Last night I picked up a decently sized juvenile asian forest scorpion from the pet store. He had a long journey home but was well behaved for the ride. When we arrived home and opened the box, he had wedged himself up under the flap at the bottom. He was in a critter keeper previously with no hide in it so I'm sure he was so excited to find a little flap to squish under. We got home and I got to work setting up an enclosure for him. When it was time to move him into the new enclose I pulled back the flap and found him laying sideways in the box with his claw outstretched in a dramatic pose. I thought for sure he was dead. I stared at him wondering if somehow he squished himself, or that maybe the journey was too much for him to handle, or the air outside was too cold. I gave him a gentle nudge with my paint brush but he felt limp. My heart sank. I pushed his tail a touch hoping for a small sign of life. He sprang to life suddenly and aimed his tail and claws my way in full defense mode. MY BABY WAS ALIVE!! IT'S ALIVE!!!!!! After my heart settled back down from the shock I scooped him gently into a cup and slid him into his new home where he went directly into the cork bark hide (probably his first hide since coming to the petstore). He spent all night wandering his enclosure, tapping on the lid and sides. I was only a little worried he'd find his way out before morning. I'm so pleased to add this little lad to my invert collection. Even more glad he was just being dramatic and playing dead rather than being dead and all. Who was going to tell me asf could play dead x'D
I'll still need to come up with a name for him. His feistiness inspired the name "Try Jesus but Don't Try Me" but I don't really want to call him Jesus for short :/. My other baby asf is named Skeletor. Suggestions welcome (nothing He-man related please).

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Scorpions don't play dead, but I'm very glad he turned out to be okay! As always with new scorpion owners, I would appreciate a pic of the enclosure you have for him, just so the experts here can make sure you're doing it the right way for him. Deep substrate is usually the thing alot of people get wrong, or they use BS like woodchips, these guys need a deep moist substrate. We all want our bugs to be healthy and safe!

KenEnd

Arachnopeon
I've found three different sources stating that a handful of scorpions, including asian forest scorpions and dwarf wood scorpions, can indeed play dead. It's called catalepsy and it's quite common.
I won't be posting a picture of my enclosures. I have seen the threads for proper enclosure creation for a tropical species here. I am following those guides. Let me be new, let me learn. For your peace of mind, I'm not using bark, I know that's no good for inverts.
Thank you for your input. You came across as a bit judgmental but I understand you want what's best for other's pets.
I'm still looking for scorpion name suggestions.

KenEnd

Arachnopeon
Oh I love using the name of another animal xD
Yes this is Oppossum, my scorpion :3c

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've found three different sources stating that a handful of scorpions, including asian forest scorpions and dwarf wood scorpions, can indeed play dead. It's called catalepsy and it's quite common.
I won't be posting a picture of my enclosures. I have seen the threads for proper enclosure creation for a tropical species here. I am following those guides. Let me be new, let me learn. For your peace of mind, I'm not using bark, I know that's no good for inverts.
Thank you for your input. You came across as a bit judgmental but I understand you want what's best for other's pets.
I'm still looking for scorpion name suggestions.
No worries, I understand. You do have deep substrate at least right?

zeeman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I named mine Xeno, because he reminds me of an Alien from the movie.

Interestingly enough, scorpions have been on the planet I believe hundreds of millions of years (maybe it was billions I'd have to rewatch "Walking with Prehistoric Monsters") but by time we are more alien to this planet than they are.

KenEnd

Arachnopeon
CRX - He has a deep substrate, enough to burrow if he decides. So does Skeletor. Much better than both the pet stores they came from that only had a light dusting of dry substrates.

Hakuna - Lazarus is a great suggestion! He's back from the dead!!!

zeeman - Oh! They are ancient beings. They must be very wise. Xeno is a lovely name x3 I like the alien theme for naming. Hmmm that might give me an idea.

KenEnd

Arachnopeon
I think I'm going with The Nowhere King as the name for my bigger scorpion <3
He's the main antagonist from Centaur World and is a slick black color all over his body. I think it'll suit my lad just fine.
Skeletor and the Nowhere King x3 yep yep. Seems the theme with these guys will be animated series antagonists xD