Double clutching

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Double clutching is rare. Only a few species are known to double clutch... A. seemanni I believe doesnt.
I had a P.Murinus very large female who triple clutched, only two of the sacs were viable, and she died shortly after, but yes they can.
While I'm waiting for my second female to drop, my first M. balfouri dropped her second (double clutch) egg sac today and it's a bit bigger than the first one she laid a couple months ago.
P. cambridgei, N. incei, P. murinus and H. gabonensis are a couple species that can double clutch.
Yes, double clutching for Poecilotheria is entirely possible. Although I've never had it happen to me, there is some people out there who've had double clutches.
After searching through all ‘double clutching’ postings, and replies, these are the most I could gathered so far.

• Catumiri parvum
  • Ephebopus uatuman
  • Guyruita cerrado
  • Heteroscodra maculata
  • Heterothele gabonensis
  • Idiothele mira
  • Monocentropus balfouri
  • Neoholothele incei
  • Encyocratella olivacea
  • Omothymus violaceopes
  • Phormingochilus sp Akcaya
  • Plesiopelma longisternale
  • Poecilotheria ornata
  • Psalmopoeus cambridgei
  • Psalmopoeus victori
  • Pterinochilus murinus
  • Sickius longibulbi

However, not once Dolichothele diamantinensis was mentioned regards to ‘double clutching’.

Can Dolichothele diamantinensis double clutch? I came across with one Instagram posting mentioning about it, though I cannot be sure it’s reliable.

Therefore I want to know if it is indeed possible for this specific tarantula species being able to double clutch.

Last edited:

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
It would be interesting and a great resource to build a thread for species known to double clutch. If we want to use this one, we can add Phormingochilus sp Akcaya to the list.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
If we want to use this one, we can add Phormingochilus sp Akcaya to the list.
I added to the list.

However as for the nature of the thread, it allows to edit only for certain amount of the time once created.

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
I added to the list.

However as for the nature of the thread, it allows to edit only for certain amount of the time once created.
After you can't edit it anymore you could just repost the list as a comment with the added species.

Xharyel

Arachnopeon
I can't answer about the Dolichothele diamantinensis, but I've read multiple times here on AB and from breeders on FB that Psalmopoeus victori can also double clutch. Which is interesting considering as they're on the "expensive" side atm as slings, we'll definitely have more interesting prices over time.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I can't answer about the Dolichothele diamantinensis, but I've read multiple times here on AB and from breeders on FB that Psalmopoeus victori can also double clutch. Which is interesting considering as they're on the "expensive" side atm as slings, we'll definitely have more interesting prices over time.
I think that's already happening. Saw a pair for like $2-300 awhile back.

EvilTrailMix

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I haven't heard about D. diamantinensis, but to add to your list, I had an E. uatuman triple clutch.

EvilTrailMix

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Survival rate and clutch sizes please
Wish I could tell you, but she's a monster and ate them all. She didn't even finish wrapping the last two. Just dropped, then turned around and started eating. I haven't paired her since.

cold blood

Staff member
Generally its a genus thing....if one can....like, irminia can...only cam was previously mentioned

I've had violaceopes double clutch, A friend had I. mira double clutch.

Last edited:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
For this reason, resource threads that require continual editing are often maintained by moderators.

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
  • Ephebopus uatuman
  • Heterothele gabonensis
  • Idiothele mira
  • Monocentropus balfouri
  • Neoholothele incei
  • Encyocratella olivacea
  • Omothymus violaceopes
  • Phormingochilus sp Akcaya
  • Poecilotheria ornata
  • Psalmopoeus cambridgei
  • Psalmopoeus victori
  • Pterinochilus murinus
Adding to your list:
Heteroscodra maculata
Guyruita cerrado
Catumiri parvum
Sickius longibulbi
Psalmopoeus cambridgei
Plesiopelma longisternale

As for Dolichothele diamantinensis, never heard of them double clutching. As a matter of fact, only Dolichothele species I heard double clutched, was D. rufoniger, accordingly to a friend, in here, they never did it. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.