Does it matter what I feed my feeders?

TJ Frost

Arachnopeon
I'm new to keeping Ts and I'm currently feeding them crickets and powerworms I have two questions
1.dose it madder what i feed my crickets and powerworms and dose that transfer into the T. anuff to madder in the health of my T.?
For instance I am feeding my crickets the items in the picture it smells like chemicals yet it supposed to hydrate the crickets and worms buy it says it has cancer and birth defects on the back
so should I go more natural food for my feeders?
2 What do you feed your crickets and power worms personally? 20210122_222431.jpg 20210122_222431.jpg

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I personally feed my feeders organic produce. It’s cheaper too. It only has cancer and birth defects if you ingest it.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
I feed cucumbers, carrots, peppers, tomatoes, oats, as well as dog and / or cat food. The stuff up there is completely superfluous in my opinion!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes - gutload

Feed them good produce, I’ve always used Flukers cricket chow- made for reptiles better than nothing.

TJ Frost

Arachnopeon
I personally feed my feeders organic produce. It’s cheaper too. It only has cancer and birth defects if you ingest it.
Lol is that a joke I cant tell

I feed cucumbers, carrots, peppers, tomatoes, oats, as well as dog and / or cat food. The stuff up there is completely superfluous in my opinion!
Do you use cat food as well as vegetables?
And how long do you keep it in there before it stinks and drys out is it like every other day you feed your feeders?

Kitara

Arachnodemon
I feed my crickets nothing. They die too quickly and aren't worth the effort. :rofl: (I buy/feed same day.) My B. lateralis (roach) I feed a packaged commercial dry food and water crystals because I'm lazy. The mealworms get oatmeal and a carrot slice until I put them in the fridge and then they just live in the oatmeal. The blue bottle flies get apple slices or potato slices whichever I have available at the time.

TJ Frost

Arachnopeon
I feed my crickets nothing. They die too quickly and aren't worth the effort. :rofl: (I buy/feed same day.) My B. lateralis (roach) I feed a packaged commercial dry food and water crystals because I'm lazy. The mealworms get oatmeal and a carrot slice until I put them in the fridge and then they just live in the oatmeal. The blue bottle flies get apple slices or potato slices whichever I have available at the time.
Do you find when you put the worms in the fridge the juice in there guts get dryed out from the moisture being stold being in the fridge?

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Lol is that a joke I cant tell
No, I actually feed my feeders organic produce. The cancer warning you’re seeing is probably prop 65. It states that the product contains chemicals that could cause cancer or birth defects. I said don’t eat the stuff and you have nothing to worry about.

HeartBum

Arachnobaron
Feed my dubias orange segments, bread, dog food, Bug Grub, any leftovers from fruit/veggies in the fridge. Basically just make sure they have enough water intake which they can get from their food and nutrients. What the Dubia eats, the T also eats in effect. I also mist twice daily as it’s super dry at the moment and trying to keep the humidity up, but I see them drinking from the sides of the enclosure also.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
I feed mine mostly organic, always thoroughly washed vegetables. Baby carrots are easy. I use brussel sprouts and sweet potato as well. I'll also offer a little bit of dry oats or cricket chow.

TJ Frost

Arachnopeon
No, I actually feed my feeders organic produce. The cancer warning you’re seeing is probably prop 65. It states that the product contains chemicals that could cause cancer or birth defects. I said don’t eat the stuff and you have nothing to worry about.
But the crickets are
Feed my dubias orange segments, bread, dog food, Bug Grub, any leftovers from fruit/veggies in the fridge. Basically just make sure they have enough water intake which they can get from their food and nutrients. What the Dubia eats, the T also eats in effect. I also mist twice daily as it’s super dry at the moment and trying to keep the humidity up, but I see them drinking from the sides of the enclosure also.
I thot if you mist roaches it mixes with there poop and makes mold are they in a plastic container or somthing else? I have some in a plastic critter keeper container tired of dealing with them cause most of my Ts wont tong feed so they play dead and then dig its so annoying.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
Dude, you live in the states. I buy like 20lbs of bananas for $9. The dirtiest full of cornmeal cheap Walmart dogfood isn't even that price. Buy them cavendish while they still exist...
Edit: and that's for the green non discount bananas I don't need until they are brown. Plus cantaloupe, 10lbs for $4.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
When I kept crickets I fed them a mix of oatmeal and fish flakes, and water crystals for hydration (the stuff used for gardening/hanging baskets is exactly the same as the stuff marketed for feeders but without the ridiculous price mark-up).

Mealworms and Morio worms (I assume this is what you mean by "power worms") just need wheat bran, that's it. They have such low moisture requirements that the little amount of moisture contained within the wheat bran is enough, you don't need to faff around chucking slices of carrot/potato or whatever in with them.

TJ Frost

Arachnopeon
When I kept crickets I fed them a mix of oatmeal and fish flakes, and water crystals for hydration (the stuff used for gardening/hanging baskets is exactly the same as the stuff marketed for feeders but without the ridiculous price mark-up).

Mealworms and Morio worms (I assume this is what you mean by "power worms") just need wheat bran, that's it. They have such low moisture requirements that the little amount of moisture contained within the wheat bran is enough, you don't need to faff around chucking slices of carrot/potato or whatever in with them.
I dident know that the moisture is in the wheat bran I'm cleaning it oit right now cause the moisture from the fruit in the wheat bran is stinking all nasty good to know thanks.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
My roaches and mealworms get plain oatmeal (dry/raw) supplemented with vegetables like carrots.