Don't ya just love this hobby?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Hey all, I just gotta say I love the invertebrate hobby. The variety this hobby offers continue to blow my mind, with everything from the fiercest tarantulas to the gentlest of millipedes. Carnivorous, herbivorous, detrivorous, and omnivorous invertebrates; arboreal, terrestrial, fossorial, and aquatic invertebrates. There are spectacular giants, and insanely beautiful micro species. Stuff to challenge the advanced keeper and to excite the new hobbyist. A rainbow of colors, a forest worth of textures, a world's worth of behaviors. 8 legs, 6 legs, dozens of legs, no legs at all. Species that can be enjoyed together, species that demand solitary caging; species to be held, species to observe from a distance. Multi-species setups, single species setups, desert, jungle, savanna, mountain, forest, cloud forest, urban, aquatic, beach, treetop, deep earth, and everything else and in between setups.

Beetles in a myriad of sizes and colors.
Centipedes of every size and color.
Millipedes with as many legs and shapes as one could want.
Ants, the ultimatum of invertebrate kingdom builders, of all shapes, sizes and behaviors.
Termites to enthrall in their own domain-building.
Roaches, a maxed out amount of diversity.
Tarantulas...don't even get me started on tarantulas :D.
Scorpions for every level of expertise their is.
Opiliones with mind-blowing looks, sizes, habitats, and behaviors.
Isopods with more than a king could want with colors, textures, shapes, sizes, and habitats.
True Spiders for every occasion, event, and time.
Primitive Spiders and their relatives to tease the mind and delight the eye.
Crabs for the enjoyment of many.
Crawdads in a rainbow's worth of colors and sizes.
Shrimp of many colors, sizes and diets to eat, watch, and breed.
Assassin bugs to sate the desire to breed something, with awesome prey takedowns to boot.
Water hemipterans for our aquatic pleasure.
Pseudoscorpions to marvel at.
Schizomids to eat our mites and impress us with their diminutive-ness.
Springtails to eat our mold, and surprise us with their diversity.
Ricinulei to stop us dead in our tracks and say in wonder, "What is that?".
Coral to observe with a happy sense (at least when their growing!) of accomplishment.
Sea Jellies (Jellyfish) for the enjoyment and awe of many.
All the other sea invertebrates which delight and fascinate us.
Vinegaroons to observe with a happiness only known to us enthusiasts.
Whipspiders for all sizes and behavior for us to gaze at in awe.
Slugs of all colors and shapes to gape at.
Snails to feed with a great satisfaction.
Orthopterans of a myriad colors, shapes, behaviors, textures, habitats, and jumping ability(!).
Leeches of great size, leeches of small size, leeches to watch in fascination.
Worms of all kinds of all sizes of all colors.
Hemipterans with the armored backs of many nations.
Mantids for every level of experience and looks for every taste.
Phasmids to nurture, raise, and enjoy with a special feeling.
Wasps and Bees for our raising enjoyment.
And everything else out there that has yet to be appreciated, and that which is not yet fully appreciated (remind me if I forgot something please!).

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Last edited:

The Mantis Menagerie

Arachnobaron
Hey all, I just gotta say I love the invertebrate hobby. The variety this hobby offers continue to blow my mind, with everything from the fiercest tarantulas to the gentlest of millipedes. Carnivorous, herbivorous, detrivorous, and omnivorous invertebrates; arboreal, terrestrial, fossorial, and aquatic invertebrates. There are spectacular giants, and insanely beautiful micro species. Stuff to challenge the advanced keeper and to excite the new hobbyist. A rainbow of colors, a forest worth of textures, a world's worth of behaviors. 8 legs, 6 legs, dozens of legs, no legs at all. Species that can be enjoyed together, species that demand solitary caging; species to be held, species to observe from a distance. Multi-species setups, single species setups, desert, jungle, savanna, mountain, forest, cloud forest, urban, aquatic, beach, treetop, deep earth, and everything else and in between setups.

Ants, the ultimatum of invertebrate kingdom builders, of all shapes, sizes and behaviors.
Isopods with more than a king could want with colors, textures, shapes, sizes, and habitats.
Assassin bugs to sate the desire to breed something, with awesome prey takedowns to boot.
Rincnulei to stop us dead in our tracks and say in wonder, "What is that?".
Coral to observe with a happy sense (at least when their growing!) of accomplishment.
Orthopterans of a myriad colors, shapes, behaviors, textures, habitats, and jumping ability(!).
And everything else out there that has yet to be appreciated, and that which is not yet fully appreciated (remind me if I forgot something please!).

Thanks,

Arthroverts
I did not see a category that included stink bugs. Who could forget bugs like this guy?
801BDE3E-BEAB-45B7-8BAC-88742EE0827B.jpeg

Entomologist210

Arachnopeon
I friggin LOVE Pentatomidae! I got my ento-training from one of the best heteropterists in the world and you would not believe the stink bugs in his collection. Though sadly he preserves them USDA style, AKA legs crunched up underneath them.

TreeTops1015

Arachnopeon

Shrimp of many colors, sizes and diets to eat, watch, and breed.
Ricinulei to stop us dead in our tracks and say in wonder, "What is that?".
Hemipterans with the armored backs of many nations.
Wasps and Bees for our raising enjoyment.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
nice job in this!!!many people who hate spiders or any bug by that matter can't and won't understand how many things this hobby can give you

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@TreeTops1015, thanks! I agree; first it was tarantulas, then scorpions, then true spiders, centipedes, and millipedes, but when I actually discovered what there was in the hobby, it blew me up. Now there is no going back :D!
I sometimes think that tarantulas shouldn't always be offered as a starter invertebrate; there is so much more out there that you can keep without having to deal with scared parents, room mates, friends, family, yourself, etc.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

TreeTops1015

Arachnopeon
Nice!!I am new to the hobby,just waiting for repticon to come to my area to buy some scorpions,I was shocked that my parents agreed to this,a giant spider that can climb anything would have been a No,and even more surprising when they told me I could keep dubia roaches as long as one didn't go loose in the house :D

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Just wait till you find out about the other roach species, and not just Hissers...

Thanks,

Arthroverts

The Mantis Menagerie

Arachnobaron
@TreeTops1015, thanks! I agree; first it was tarantulas, then scorpions, then true spiders, centipedes, and millipedes, but when I actually discovered what there was in the hobby, it blew me up. Now there is no going back :D!
I sometimes think that tarantulas shouldn't always be offered as a starter invertebrate; there is so much more out there that you can keep without having to deal with scared parents, room mates, friends, family, yourself, etc.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
It doesn’t always start with Ts. I started with tropical fruit trees, went to butterflies, then mantids, cockroaches, and after that I lost track!

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@The Mantis Menagerie, that is the craziest start to invertebrate keeping I have heard of!
I misread the "Tropical Fruit Trees" for "Tropical Fruit Bees", and I was wondering, "How was that legal?" :D:rofl:. Very cool though!

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Oh my goodness! How could I forget the incredible Lepidoptera? My apologies, please forgive me.

The amazing lepidopterans to tease us with their flight and delight us with their movements.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Where is Lepidoptera at?? That’s where it started at for me, a butterfly net and a backpack. And made it way into mothing at night and trying out different light wave ranges for certain species. Reminds me I’m overdue for an overnight mothing excursion.

but I agree this is the best hobby that never keeps on giving more to learn about!

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Best post on this site. Love it. Outstanding.
This is the highest praise I have yet received on here, many thanks!

Where is Lepidoptera at?? That’s where it started at for me, a butterfly net and a backpack. And made it way into mothing at night and trying out different light wave ranges for certain species. Reminds me I’m overdue for an overnight mothing excursion.

but I agree this is the best hobby that never keeps on giving more to learn about!
I added another post about Lepidoptera after I realized my mistake, did you not see it?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
It has been brought to my attention (many thanks to @kurgara galatur) that I have missed the subclass Acari...

The at times troublesome, oft-maligned, and yet wonderful mites and ticks, to tickle our fancy and leave us in awe at their diversity.

Thanks,

Arthroverts