Don't think my little girl is feeling too well Pink toed tarantula

Burak Toprak

Arachnopeon
Had her for about 2 years now. I noticed white stuff around her spinnerets a couple months ago but didn't really think much of it. Now it looks much worse. She eats a large cricket once a month and doesn't really take more. I have never seen her touch the ground other than to get water before which is always kept fresh. Any idea of what this could be? It also looks like she has pooped a lot the 2 weeks I left her on vacation. Right now she is on the ground in what looks like the death curl though she is alive and just recently moved but her movements are slower than usual. Really upsetting she was my first tarantula. IMG_6615.jpg
IMG_6611.jpg
IMG_6609.jpg

Sambro

Arachnosquire
This T has a lot of White faeces around the anus – Which is a pretty obvious sign. Some specimens suffering from impaction will have a white, chalky “crust” surrounding their anuses. This is obviously the faeces. Also, know as Anal Impaction.

I'm not experienced enough to suggest how to help, I've only read and see videos online. Hopefully, someone will chime in soon.
But I do know it doesn't end well for the T if it's like this. I wish you the best of luck and I hope she does recover

Burak Toprak

Arachnopeon
This T has a lot of White faeces around the anus – Which is a pretty obvious sign. Some specimens suffering from impaction will have a white, chalky “crust” surrounding their anuses. This is obviously the faeces. Also, know as Anal Impaction.

I'm not experienced enough to suggest how to help, I've only read and see videos online. Hopefully, someone will chime in soon.
But I do know it doesn't end well for the T if it's like this. I wish you the best of luck and I hope she does recover
Thank you for your reply I also think it is impaction.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
May be impaction, unfortunately there is not much you can do. I would try and get it to drink water though, these cases are tied to dehydration sometimes it seems to me.

sasker

Arachnoprince
If you tarantula rarely goes to the ground, chances are it may not be drinking enough. You could also provide a water bowl a bit higher in the terrarium.

cold blood

Staff member
You say it recently pooped a lot....this means its currently NOT impacted....however it may have been prior to the big poops.

Often once impaction is cleared, the t still doesnt make it....but i wouldnt give up on it.

Burak Toprak

Arachnopeon
You say it recently pooped a lot....this means its currently NOT impacted....however it may have been prior to the big poops.

Often once impaction is cleared, the t still doesnt make it....but i wouldnt give up on it.
Pink toed are great swimmers in the wild. Would it be a bad idea to fill up the tub and let her swim for a little bit maybe it would loosen things up.

cold blood

Staff member
Pink toed are great swimmers in the wild. Would it be a bad idea to fill up the tub and let her swim for a little bit maybe it would loosen things up.
no, ts wont just go for a fun swim. Keeping the anus clean with something like a q tip would be advisable if its possible.

Burak Toprak

Arachnopeon
no, ts wont just go for a fun swim. Keeping the anus clean with something like a q tip would be advisable if its possible.
Sure the swims aren't for fun, but if her life is in danger does that matter? Putting her in the tub would soak the area and loosen any hard dried up stool that could have obstructed the area before, movement in the water could dislodge it and clean it at the same time pink toed tarantulas are naturally buoyant she wont have to expend extra energy to stay afloat. I'm sure just cleaning it would help but in no way is she going to let me clean it enough to get all the chalked feces out without me restraining her. Unless there's a reason I am not aware of that directly puts her in more harm that I am ignorant to I don't understand the logic. Or is my way of thinking incorrect?

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Sure the swims aren't for fun, but if her life is in danger does that matter? Putting her in the tub would soak the area and loosen any hard dried up stool that could have obstructed the area before, movement in the water could dislodge it and clean it at the same time pink toed tarantulas are naturally buoyant she wont have to expend extra energy to stay afloat. I'm sure just cleaning it would help but in no way is she going to let me clean it enough to get all the chalked feces out without me restraining her. Unless there's a reason I am not aware of that directly puts her in more harm that I am ignorant to I don't understand the logic. Or is my way of thinking incorrect?
interesting idea, curious to hear more experienced peoples opinion on it

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Personally I see too many risks for this plan to work out well enough to be worth it. Possibility for drowning, escape/lost tarantula risk since it would be in a less controlled environment, if it got out of the tub you could always have a panicked, wet spider falling off the edge of the tub onto the floor and experiencing a rupture, bite risk. Also while I think stress is less of a concern than people claim, this would DEFINITELY be a stressful situation.

Like I can see the logic behind it, I just don't know if it would work. I'm curious to see what others have to say about it though..

Burak Toprak

Arachnopeon
Personally I see too many risks for this plan to work out well enough to be worth it. Possibility for drowning, escape/lost tarantula risk since it would be in a less controlled environment, if it got out of the tub you could always have a panicked, wet spider falling off the edge of the tub onto the floor and experiencing a rupture, bite risk. Also while I think stress is less of a concern than people claim, this would DEFINITELY be a stressful situation.

Like I can see the logic behind it, I just don't know if it would work. I'm curious to see what others have to say about it though..
Well I did it 2 hours ago. Let me tell you I am not the one to panic. I am fully prepared to let her bite me without flinching if need be. The edges of the tub are too slick for even her to climb so falling isn't a risk. You should also know as I stated before pink toed tarantulas are naturally buoyant. They need zero motion to float this is because in their natural habitat they could fall out of trees and the forest under them is sometimes flooded (doesn't work for all species) so they have adapted this feature. After I put her back she cleaned her bum off herself for 30mins and it looks fully clear of chalky white poop. In my eyes this is a successful experiment. I will still keep a close eye on her and if anything happens to her condition for better or worse I'll come back to this and comment.