don't think i'll be holding my spiders right after i feed them anymore

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i brought home a new pinktoe from the reptile show last sunday, and it is so calm i decided to hold it a few minutes after it devoured a cricket.

it got out and walked about on my arm and i kept feeling a slight pinch. i looked and it had its fangs extended out and was pulling my arm hairs up and rubbing them between it's fangs. i never expected that something like that, using my arm hair for dental floss! :eek:

DrGigglez666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i brought home a new pinktoe from the reptile show last sunday, and it is so calm i decided to hold it a few minutes after it devoured a cricket.

it got out and walked about on my arm and i kept feeling a slight pinch. i looked and it had its fangs extended out and was pulling my arm hairs up and rubbing them between it's fangs. i never expected that something like that, using my arm hair for dental floss! :eek:

Haha thats a lil scary bet it was trying to clean you its kinda cute haha!!

zimbu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's really, really cute. In a venemous fangy sort of way..

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I can't stop laughing! Thats awesome.

Handling a T after it eats is generally a bad idea, like any animal. They have to digest the meal, and usually don't want to be bothered.

Also, if you're bit right after the T eats something, the chance of an infection sky rockets. Just thought I'd let you know.

But still, good job, wish you had it on video. {D

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It was just flossing its fangs with your arm hair{D Thats rich!!!

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
At least the T didn't decide you might make a tasty desert. I do think the T was grooming itself, not you, so not holding this particular one right after eating sounds like a good idea.

NixHexDude

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Too funny. I still crack up when my little ones do the happy dance after dinner.{D

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well regardless of circumstances, i don't think a. avic is very threatening to bite. this is my second one and i've not seen so much as a half hearted threat display from either. the worst i've had was from my old one, who refused to be held and would rub its urticating hairs against my paintbrush when i would try to move it. this one seems extremely calm, as far as spiders go. it was just a little unsettling to see fangs extended and pulling up my arm hairs with them. :p

Squeaksville

Arachnopeon
OMG that is too adorable!!! Knowing me I'd be scared seeing fangs that close to my skin LMAO.. I'm still chicken to hold mine. Hopefully one day I will! :rolleyes:

jen650s

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Insiginificant bite or not, I would call bared T fangs on my arm at least a little unsettling:eek:.

Last edited:

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I just observed this "flossing" behavior from my E murinus last night except she was using some stringy moss. If i hadn't read this thread i wouldn't have known what the heck she was doing.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer

I've had this happen to me several times, always by Avics, especially my now-deceased old A. metallica. It didn't seem to have anything to do with whether or not they'd eaten, but it was almost like they were trying to groom me. The A. metallica liked to sit on top of my head, and she'd really go to work up there, sometimes pulling quite hard on my hair. I really don't know exactly what she was doing, so I'm almost hesitant to call it "grooming" since it implies that tarantulas have far greater social skills than we've given them credit for; maybe she was just trying to make the seating arrangements a bit more comfy for herself.

pitbulllady