Don't laugh ... how do I cut a coconut ?

Dangergirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've seen some really nice pics with coconut houses for adult T's.
I bought some coconuts today. How on earth do I cut them ? With what ?
Or do I go the the hardware store and act "dumb blonde chick" ?? {D

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I would think you could hack them in half with a machate, or saw at them? Throw them REALLY hard? Drop them from a few stories up a building? Hmm...

Do you have a dog? Have him do the work for you haha my bull breeds love chewing apart coconuts.

pwilson5

Arachnoknight
there is usually a "line" that goes around the husk.. take a saw to that and go at it.. or you can buy the coconut houses already cut at petco.. lol

Midknight xrs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If they have the green outter shell, then you will have to hack away at it and start peeling to get to the inside. if it is the inside, the brown shell, then a bitchers knife or a machette will work to crack that. At least in my experience. You might be able to do it with a hammer too.

Dangergirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
We don't have Petco's here and I have never seen them sold at our LPS.
It's an old brown coconut - we dont get the green ones here. I reckon I'm gonna try a hand saw or a circular saw tomorrow :?
Would like a nice smooth cut like this ...

Who knows, if it doesnt work I can just try again {D

Warren Bautista

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Step 1: Beat it with a machete.

Step 2: Drink the juice.

Step 3: Scoop out meat and devour it.

Step 4: Dry it out.

Step 5: Place into terrarium.

Step 6: Stand back and admire work.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dremel.. Oh and make sure you clean and allow that husk to dry out suitably before using if it has the milk and fruit still in it.

Remember, if it's a whole sealed nut your going to have to milk it and scrape out the coconut lining and then allow the inside to dry really well to prevent mold/mildew/nasties.

It may be honestly quicker to order a few online.

kripp_keeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A hack saw would give you a clean cut. I personally wouldn't use a circular saw on something round, but if you feel you can manage it go for it.

mike w

Arachnopeon
Please do not use a circular saw on a coconut!!! You will most definately end up in the ER!! Hacksaw or chisel with a hammer will get the job done. Good luck!:eek::eek:

8ighth Wonder

Arachnopeon
I find the crease and hit it with my hand...two perfect halves every time. If you just want the end gone...drill out the "eyes"

Dangergirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Circular saw ? :embarrassed:
Machete ? :?
Ha ha ha ... :eek:
Thanks for all the replies !! :worship:

Dangergirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yup

It comes up with only coconut peat as far as I found, using the search engine :8o

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hammer a large nail into one or two of the "eyes" on the coconut. The "eyes" are the three dark spots on the more rounded end of the coconut. Draw a line (literally or figuratively) around the coconut, this is where you will cut with a hack saw. Make sure you cut to the size you want the opening to be. Then use a very sturdy knife or less dangerous instrument like a screwdriver to pry the meat outta the shell. Wash well and dry for a few days. Taking the meat out will be the longest part of doing this.

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How to cut a coconut: Find an OBT. Let it strike the coconut.

But nah, seriously a dremel or a hacksaw should work fine.