"Don't bother with a water dish"

ShaunMot

Arachnopeon
18155650_10212592605397156_1182210876_n.jpg
18190826_10212592605317154_1967535354_n.jpg
To all those saying not to bother with a water dish, here is my H. Arizonensis taking a much needed drink!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah I think people went a little overboard with the idea they don't need water, typical on the internet. I at least put a cap of water in a corner for anything.

Connerl8k

Arachnosquire
"New" owner here, had my first and only Scorp Asian forest giant for a year and have watched him/her go long periods without food but have never left it without water and it drinks a fair bit.

GingerC

Arachnosquire
Mine took a huge drink for at least five minutes the very second I brought her home. Not only does my scorpion drink from a water dish, she knocks it around, buries it, climbs on it, throws dirt into it, and seems to love tipping it on her face and getting angry at it.

I think it was a worthwhile investment.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Yes, they absolutely need a water dish, even a small one.

Here is one of mine taking a drink. This is the only non adult specimen of Hadrurus spp. That I currently own, so it drinks more than the others. But even the adults will grab a drink now and then.

Attachments

Connerl8k

Arachnosquire
Yes, they absolutely need a water dish, even a small one.

Here is one of mine taking a drink. This is the only non adult specimen of Hadrurus spp. That I currently own, so it drinks more than the others. But even the adults will grab a drink now and then.
That's a beautiful scorp how old?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
That's a beautiful scorp how old?
Sub adult. I have had that one in that picture for 4 years now? Maybe 5.

Here are a few of my other Hadrurus spp specimens. I have several adult H. arizonensis and several adult H. arizonensis pallidus.

Looking for an H. spadix next

Attachments

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
I don't use any water dishes for arid species as it becomes an issue with drownings and unwanted bacteria buildup If you mist the side of the tank opposite of their hide 1-2 weekly , they will drink droplets right off the side of their enclosure.
I've lost more arid species due to water dish drownings than any/all other occurrences combined ! So when it comes to arid species - a water dish is a bad idea. That's my observation from over 10+ years of me keeping arid species :)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've seen that drowning problem with babies and water bottle caps, it does work with safely with adults but I've had no problems with misting before also. At times I've put a cap of water in for a day or two in smaller containers holding arid sps so I know they get their fill, then I've removed it.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I don't use any water dishes for arid species as it becomes an issue with drownings and unwanted bacteria buildup If you mist the side of the tank opposite of their hide 1-2 weekly , they will drink droplets right off the side of their enclosure.
I've lost more arid species due to water dish drownings than any/all other occurrences combined ! So when it comes to arid species - a water dish is a bad idea. That's my observation from over 10+ years of me keeping arid species :)
I've seen that drowning problem with babies and water bottle caps, it does work with safely with adults but I've had no problems with misting before also. At times I've put a cap of water in for a day or two in smaller containers holding arid sps so I know they get their fill, then I've removed it.
I don't use a water dish large enough to be a problem. If an adult H arizonensis can't get out of a bottle cap then all hope is gone.

Stugy

Arachnolord
My scorpions pretty much drink from their substrate (really small ATM) except my H.arizonensis in which she keeps burying her water bowl (she did this four times until i ended up removing it completely in sheer annoyance) I'm probably going to put the water bowl back in in a bit anyways lol

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
I don't use a water dish large enough to be a problem. If an adult H arizonensis can't get out of a bottle cap then all hope is gone.
Yes I agree to a point but in the OP's pic ... It appears to be more of a swimming pool sized water dish as opposed to a bottle cap LOL I'm just giving my observations over the years of keeping hadrurus and almost 100 other species combined.
Tropical species ... Need a water dish no questions about it
Arid .... Does not need 1 at all with proper misting during their night time hours
This is how they drink water in the wild also as I'm sure most don't have access to bowls of water on a regular basis
I always try to recreate their habitat in the wild in my own enclosures as that seems the most sensible option to have the most success :) and has worked for me quite well

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Arizonensis absolutely requires a large water dish. they take enormous drinks, and they also sponge-bathe. if they're dehydrated, they cannot groom properly and suffer as a result.

JoshBC

Arachnosquire
I'm in the same boat. Done away with water dishes in my arids. They always just buried them. Mind you I'm talking about Androctonus not H. Arizonensis. My Heterometrus and Pandinus Cavimanus both use/used them though. The andros seem to prefer drinking misted droplets off the glass or off a rock. I just poured a small amount through the screen lid today for Hector and sure enough within a minute he was out sucking up a big drop.

Attachments

C1gam9550

Arachnopeon
From my experience(heterometrus.longimanus, spinifer, petersii/cyaneus?(still having ID issues) Pandinus.imperator, Dictator, cavimanus and C.gracilis), ive found personally with alot of scorps water bowls are nkt necessary. My cavimaus will drink directly off of her claws after mistings(done every other day to every three days) and my Imperator seems to drink directly from the moss. But then again it varies from scorp to scorp.

ShaunMot

Arachnopeon
Yes I agree to a point but in the OP's pic ... It appears to be more of a swimming pool sized water dish as opposed to a bottle cap LOL I'm just giving my observations over the years of keeping hadrurus and almost 100 other species combined.
Tropical species ... Need a water dish no questions about it
Arid .... Does not need 1 at all with proper misting during their night time hours
This is how they drink water in the wild also as I'm sure most don't have access to bowls of water on a regular basis
I always try to recreate their habitat in the wild in my own enclosures as that seems the most sensible option to have the most success :) and has worked for me quite well
Yeah i can see your point. My water bowl in my tank is probably a bit on the large side, however it is rare i fill it up and even then i let it run dry, so the chances of the scorpion dying are probably quite small.

Newports

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Out of all my andros the mauris tend to be the most hardy from humidity imo. And Yes they do indeed drink out of small sources of water. I put in a large bottle cap with water every few days with a cotton ball in it. They dont need this if they eat frequently from my experience but they do indeed drink from it.