Done with scorpions

Wean13

Arachnopeon
I had water fed him about 2 times a week sometimes once a week he was eating then I stopped seeing him went in and found him dead he's a desert hairy scorpion....idk why he died!? Temps around 80 to 100 with 100 not being to often maintaining 90 had natural light and a tank pad warmer on the side which I noticed him hugging sometimes despite it being warm in here all the time......I'm about to give up I like scorpions I want a scorpion but I've had no luck I heard the deserts were easier then emperors or forest floors..I did notice him getting skinnier despite eating....idk what I did wrong or what happened any ideas? This broke my heart today =(

Attachments

ForTW

Arachnobaron
This looks like premolt, maybe issues breaking the skin.
Anyhow, for a premolt i would not consider this "fat".

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
100 is really hot and not necessary for a Hadrurus species in captivity. Yes scorpions thrive in arid climates, but they also dig (sometimes quite deep, especially with this genus) burrows to avoid the hot temperatures of the day. This may be the end result of too hot of temps, or a molting issue (which Hadrurus are notorious for in captivity).

Wean13

Arachnopeon
Wasn't at 100 often most times when I noticed it get that hot id click the lamp off a d really only used it on cold days....idk just bothers me like it feels like it was my fault or I feel luke a could have done something just feel guilty....i really liked him alot
100 is really hot and not necessary for a Hadrurus species in captivity. Yes scorpions thrive in arid climates, but they also dig (sometimes quite deep, especially with this genus) burrows to avoid the hot temperatures of the day. This may be the end result of too hot of temps, or a molting issue (which Hadrurus are notorious for in captivity).
E.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Wasn't at 100 often most times when I noticed it get that hot id click the lamp off a d really only used it on cold days....idk just bothers me like it feels like it was my fault or I feel luke a could have done something just feel guilty....i really liked him alot

E.
Why do you people seem to think it's okay to " click the light off " or on depending on you considering the temperature too hot or too cold.
Thus is where all the problems stem from with heat mats.
Never heard of thermostats that are actually adjustable.then the ideal temperature can be maintained automatically, enabling the Scorpion to move in or out of the warm/cool area.
I honestly dispare sometimes.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Why do you people seem to think it's okay to " click the light off " or on depending on you considering the temperature too hot or too cold.
Never heard of thermostats that are actually adjustable.then the ideal temperature can be maintained automatically, enabling the Scorpion to move in or out of the warm/cool area.
What would you recommend? I’ll totally get it for my desert scorps

Wean13

Arachnopeon
Well the mat was on the side he had a cold side I wasn't using a massive bulb I was using like a 5 or 10 mini heat lamp I maintained between 80 to 90 it just reached 100 very few times.....

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You probably did not have correct substrate. Hadrurus requires a very deep mix of excavator clay and sand, and you have to put it in wet and it takes about a month to 2 months to dry until its ready. Most people are impulsive and don't care and they refuse to do this. They are a burrowing species, just pouring in reptile sand isn't enough, they can't make burrows in regular dry sand it will collapse. You were keeping this scorpion in those high temps without any escape from it.

Contrary to what many seem to believe, there is moisture in the desert, and these scorpions do not prefer to be in the heat. Juvenile Hadrurus sp. live in the wet root systems of cacti, a habitat very difficult to replicate in captivity.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
You probably did not have correct substrate. Hadrurus requires a very deep mix of excavator clay and sand, and you have to put it in wet and it takes about a month to 2 months to dry until its ready. Most people are impulsive and don't care and they refuse to do this. They are a burrowing species, just pouring in reptile sand isn't enough, they can't make burrows in regular dry sand it will collapse. You were keeping this scorpion in those high temps without any escape from it.

Contrary to what many seem to believe, there is moisture in the desert, and these scorpions do not prefer to be in the heat. Juvenile Hadrurus sp. live in the wet root systems of cacti, a habitat very difficult to replicate in captivity.
How do they not get a mycosis infection?

Wolf135

Arachnoknight
This

I live where these things come from and it's not always a constant 100 degrees even on the surface, they should be fine at room temperature.