Don’t skip the grocery store for enclosures

MotherofDragons

Arachnopeon
Look what my local Winco had!! Found them about a week ago. Finally getting around to drilling the acrylic (which went very smoothly) for some new T’s. They’re crystal clear, including the lid. I put a sticker and expo marker I was using to mark holes for drilling inside to demonstrate acrylic clarity. Roughly 5 3/4”L x 3 3/4”W x 6”H. $3.58ea for the 57oz.

I found some taller ones as well on a different trip that give a few more inches in height, same L and W dimensions. Those were $1 more.

Is the 89oz too big for a 1” P. Irminia? Was considering giving myself a bit more working room for that one! I’m really excited to give them a try though most things I have are too small for them currently, just planning ahead.

D5FEF872-99A2-410A-B0DE-D76D1310708C.jpeg E7F7D34A-0628-4E5F-98F1-58BA0367762A.jpeg D213F8E7-12F8-4D20-82B8-659884980E0A.jpeg

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
I can’t go anywhere without my fiancé going “hey, look! You could put a spider in this!” 🤣

these are phenomenal though! I guess I’m going to Safeway this weekend

MotherofDragons

Arachnopeon
I can’t go anywhere without my fiancé going “hey, look! You could put a spider in this!” 🤣

these are phenomenal though! I guess I’m going to Safeway this weekend
I love repurposing things. I have some Avics in peanut butter and trail Mix containers that I couldn’t get the sticky crap off so I’m looking forward to the visibility!!

magouilles

Arachnoknight
Look what my local Winco had!! Found them about a week ago. Finally getting around to drilling the acrylic (which went very smoothly) for some new T’s. They’re crystal clear, including the lid. I put a sticker and expo marker I was using to mark holes for drilling inside to demonstrate acrylic clarity. Roughly 5 3/4”L x 3 3/4”W x 6”H. $3.58ea for the 57oz.

I found some taller ones as well on a different trip that give a few more inches in height, same L and W dimensions. Those were $1 more.

Is the 89oz too big for a 1” P. Irminia? Was considering giving myself a bit more working room for that one! I’m really excited to give them a try though most things I have are too small for them currently, just planning ahead.

View attachment 404926 View attachment 404927 View attachment 404928
woah those are perfect😳

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
I love repurposing things. I have some Avics in peanut butter and trail Mix containers that I couldn’t get the sticky crap off so I’m looking forward to the visibility!!
For future reference, rubbing alcohol or vodka works great to get that residue off! Just wet a rag with either option (maybe don't waste good vodka) and it will rub right off. :)

MotherofDragons

Arachnopeon
For future reference, rubbing alcohol or vodka works great to get that residue off! Just wet a rag with either option (maybe don't waste good vodka) and it will rub right off. :)
I tried the rubbing alcohol with zero success. I only tried to rub with a soaked paper towel. It didn't work for me at all; maybe the texture of a real rag would have produced different results, but I really had it soaked and was trying hard. I tried several things and stopped short of the chemical goo-gone.

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
I tried the rubbing alcohol with zero success. I only tried to rub with a soaked paper towel. It didn't work for me at all; maybe the texture of a real rag would have produced different results, but I really had it soaked and was trying hard. I tried several things and stopped short of the chemical goo-gone.
I love glass jars for everything except enclosures, and olive oil mixed with equal parts baking soda has always been my go-to. A restaurant recommendation was to soak plastic containers with labels in any sort of cooking oil for 24 hours *Shrug* Pretty cool but I haven't tried that one yet.

Thanks for the heads up on the containers! :)

MotherofDragons

Arachnopeon
I love glass jars for everything except enclosures, and olive oil mixed with equal parts baking soda has always been my go-to. A restaurant recommendation was to soak plastic containers with labels in any sort of cooking oil for 24 hours *Shrug* Pretty cool but I haven't tried that one yet.

Thanks for the heads up on the containers! :)
I will have to try oil next time! I tried peanut butter and then baking soda paste too. I found some odd suggestions haha. Peanut butter worked on gum in my kids hair once so I thought, why not!

Unfortunately, we don't have Winco down here.
I know some chains are only in some areas, not quite sure how far Winco's spread is. It's newer out here in the past few years as well as far as I know.

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Gotcha. I've found my favorite enclosures from Hobby Lobby and good ol' WalMart! I do like yours though. Thanks for sharing

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
I will have to try oil next time! I tried peanut butter and then baking soda paste too. I found some odd suggestions haha. Peanut butter worked on gum in my kids hair once so I thought, why not!
Haha peanut butter is good for so much!! Honestly, I can't help but think half the suggestions people get for residue removal are practical jokes :geek: I don't like chemicals on stuff like that, but hot water to soften and oil to remove has worked for me so let me know if you try it!

MotherofDragons

Arachnopeon
Good price per volume for me
Which of the two would you recommend for a 1" P. irminia? or something smaller altogether? I know they are supposed to be fast growers and prefer a bit of extra working room for the speed factor.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Which of the two would you recommend for a 1" P. irminia? or something smaller altogether? I know they are supposed to be fast growers and prefer a bit of extra working room for the speed factor.
32 Oz deli cup is more than enough for a few molts

MotherofDragons

Arachnopeon
Unfortunately, we don't have Winco down here.
Here is a find more can probably access. 8oz square acrylic “pots” from Michael’s. 99cents regular price, 80cents each after coupon. I really like these!! I’m frugal, so cheap but prettier than deli cup options is a win for me. Took a drill fine without cracking.

8248F9FD-9959-4300-9385-56E361A543FF.jpeg
9875E891-844E-4CE5-B4AF-A5E99F14D275.jpeg

And these are 32oz food storage containers from the Dollar Tree that come in a 2pk. The lids screw on which is nice. I got some clearer ones there also, but those lids kinda suck so I won’t be trying them for my P. irminia :lol:

BC8D4EF1-59F1-4EC4-AF52-634A19F7E538.jpeg

Last edited:

MotherofDragons

Arachnopeon
Gotcha. I've found my favorite enclosures from Hobby Lobby and good ol' WalMart! I do like yours though. Thanks for sharing
I didn’t get lucky at my Hobby Lobby. It was one of the first places I tried. Maybe I just didn't know what to look for! I tried for the baseball displays and got a weird one that is two pieces and not useful as an enclosure at all!

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I got mine in the model section. Plastic cases for displaying model cars

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
You should… message me a link to your hobby lobby enclosures. Maybe mine just sucks because all they have are ones that come in two pieces or boxes that are missing a side and then they sit overtop something else, like an action figure