Dolomedes triton

WithCerberus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A few pic for you guys and gals to enjoy. {D

Dolomedes triton sling

My new Dolomedes triton that I was lucky enough to find with an eggsac :)

Dolomedes tenebrossus sling

Take care,
Bobby

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi,

once again great pics of a Dolomedes species! Thanks for sharing!

Seems the different species are quite common right now in some parts of the US, you ain´t got some D. albineus pics,too, you might wanna share with us??

I just love that white-banded-fishers of yours...

Greetings,

Stefan

WithCerberus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the compliments Stefan. Nope, no D. albineus pics right now. I haven't found that species yet. I love my little fisher too. :) I was leading a stream study and one of my students found her for me. I thought it was a little odd for her to have an eggsac this late in the year. I plan to raise some of the spiderlings when they hatch and I'll start a thread for that. :)

Peace,
Bobby

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Great!

Hi Bobby,

great idea, i´d be major-interested to see the development of that kind of fishers! :drool:

From some other thread i really came to the idea that this genus has right now it´s mating time over there. Unfortunately in germany we´ve got only one Dolomedes species (D. fimbriatus) native here. I´ve never been able to find one around as they´re quite rare and therefore also protected by federal law.

As i´m keeping the "exotic"-relative genus Ancylometes for pet-spiders, it´s a just fascinating thought for me, living somewhere where this kind of spiders run free and seem to be quite common.

Even more interesting to me is the afforementioned D. albineus, once for their strange looks with these white hair-tufts and since they´re rather untypicall for being arboreal.

Keep the thread alive! :clap:

Greetings,

Stefan

WithCerberus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wish that we had fishing spiders as big as Ancylometes over here. :} I hope that someday they will be available in the US. Thankfully where I am living now two of the Dolomedes species (triton and tenebrossus) are pretty common. I have the benifit of working in a national forest and leading trips in it. Soon though I will be moving back to Chicago and the daily spider hunting will end. :mad:

peace,
Bobby

WithCerberus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I woke up this morning a very happy guy 8)

This morning my D.triton eggsac hatched! I was begining to get a little impatient. Ok, quick, now the vials that I ordered a week ago need to get here! :)

This spider is on the tip of a matchstick for size reference.

Here she is, the proud mother. I love the parental care in the Dolomedes genus.

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
WOOOOOOOOOOOW :drool: :drool: :drool:

d*mn beautifull !!
i really like that picture with mom and all of her babies :clap:

WithCerberus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thank you for the compliment Steven. She is one of my favorite spiders that I have right now. I am really excited about raising her babies.

Bobby

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
yes very nice spiders!! loving the pics too!! great shots!!

spinnekop

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
WithCerberus, what do you feed these tiny little babies?
They seem so small that even fruitflies will be too big....
I wonder if they can be kept alive and what will be the mortality...

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
@spinnekop:

Hey Geert ;)

nice to see you've also find your way to these boards :cool:

meer Belgische leden is altijd plezant :p

WithCerberus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lol, well this will be a learning experience raising these. They should be able to take Drosophila melanogaster. I was just going to raise them in 2 or three communal tanks with moistened paper towels and a twig each until they get a few molts under their belts. After that I was going to seperate them into vials. Anyone here have tips for raising these little guys?

here is a few pics of one of my older guys.

spinnekop

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks WithCerberus. I was thinking that maybe Collembola (springtails) in high dosage might be the only possible food for these babies since Collembola lives in a wet environment too but if they manage to cath Drosophila the better ofcourse.
I just wonder, can you let us know if it works feeding them? I am very interested since I do not have good experience with feeding newborn slings of labidognate spiders. :eek:

To Steven: Ik heb intussen ook al begrepen dat het efficiënter is mijn kennis wereldwijd te gaan zoeken. Je zult mij dus op andere forums ook nog wel tegenkomen. :razz:

Last edited:

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
spinnekop said:
To Steven: Ik heb intussen ook al begrepen dat het efficiënter is mijn kennis wereldwijd te gaan zoeken. Je zult mij dus op andere forums ook nog wel tegenkomen. :razz:
registreer je dan ook maar al op:
www.labidognathe.de ;)

@WithCerberus
- very nice and clean enclosure you got !!!! :clap:
- intresting fotoshoot under water !

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Let the growth beginn

Hey Bobby,

thanks for posting that growth-story!

Great pics of your bunch of slings and their mother. I know how hard it is to get good shots of such small spiders, you did a real great job of it. :clap:

Very nice enclosures you have and i have to admit quite inspiring for me too.... :D

Once again, please keep this alive, great to have another development-cycle of a fishing-spider species displayed here.

Greetings,

Stefan

WithCerberus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
spinnekop, I guess i just didn't think of springtails. That is a pretty good idea. I just ordered myself a culture. :) They are a little small for fruit flies right now. Again thank you for the compliments everyone, I will keep you posted.

Peace,

Bobby

WithCerberus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
spiderling update

The little guys are doing pretty good. I managed to get a few new pics of them. They are really liking the springtails.

I decided that since the springtails were so prolific and such a pain to seperate that I would just raise the spiderlings in the culture, much easier. Hopefully I won't have to supplement the springtail population too much.

Here are a few pics of them chowing down on springtails.

Here is something that I found that struck me as odd. This spiderling picked up a piece of the springtail(fish) food and started to eat it. I noticed several of the others doing this also.

and here is one last pic that I liked.

good call on the springtails spinnekop.

peace,
Bobby

WithCerberus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
tragic update 8(

Well, these little fishers proved very hard to keep. Out of the 100+ spiderlings only 2 are currently still living. I am not sure what the problem was. They were eating the springtails like crazy and the humidity was high. The two that I have left have started to take fruit flies. I hope to get at least one of these to survive but I have my doubts. This has been a very frustrating and expensive project :mad: :( . I feel terrible about all of their deaths.

on the upside, my larger juveniles (D. triton and D. tenebrossus) have molted several times and and doing quite well.

Bobby

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Sorry

Hi Bobby,

i´m very sorry for your losses, very sad story! :(

Don´t feel too bad about this, i know by own experience how hard this can be to take, but some species are quite hard to raise. Furthermore, with many spiders, there´s not much info around on how to maintain them correct. So dealing with slings is always a trial-and error process. You did all you could do, better luck next time!

Greetings,

Stefan

NRF

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I´m sorry for your losses too. 11-02-2005 you sent a photo of a Dolomedes staying under water. I see it has air around its body. How long can it stay under water? Do you know if it can breath under water too? This has to be the way Argyroneta aquatica has evolved.