Dolomedes tenebrosus?

Phanny

Arachnopeon
This little...huh pretty big spider hit me in the face while opening the back door. I swatted at it because it scared the bejesus out of me. Poor little guy was a bit stunned so I set it up in a container with cork bark and coco fiber(moist) at the bottom. Next day it is happily chasing down crickets and seems very bold and unafraid. May keep it for a little while cause it's just adorable. Would this be dolomedes tenebrosus? Id would be appreciated. Care tips as well. Found in southern Quebec. IMG_20200512_011535.jpg IMG_20200512_011457.jpg

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would agree that it’s D. tenebrosus. Quebec also has D. scriptus, which is quite similar but I’m not 100% sure on the difference in identification.

wolfs79

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I can confidentiality say it's a tenebrosus . It's a vary light colored specimen beautiful looking, one my of my favorite if not favorite local true spiders, I also like dolomedes scriptus plentiful where I live.

Just caught some tenebrosus a couple days ago love them super fast good eaters.

wolfs79

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Also Dolomedes, scriptus has the white running all the way through the W pattern across abdomen and the median stripe on carapace in scriptus is usually way more developed legs are usually more harrier and black mask around eyes is different from scriptus.

Scriptus usually wander just a ways away when they produce egg sacs. But even then most of time they usually stay in same area from what I have observed.

But sometimes they can still be difficult to tell apart. I've been keeping them so long so familiar with them.

Here's some pictures to give you an idea first two pics are D. tenebrosus
2nd pics are of D. scriptus

Attachments

Last edited: