Dolichothele diamantinensis (Brazilian Blue Dwarf Beauty) Open Thread

Jess S

Arachnobaron
People ask to see photo's of my 'pretty blue' spider. This is the best I can come up with, this leggy horror! lol

IMG_20200812_010050.jpg

I honestly have no idea what he's even trying to do there. . .

Been 9 days since he moulted so soon the lid is coming off and just praying he'll let me take a better one, or I'll never find him a girlfriend 😂

Jess S

Arachnobaron
My beautiful male finally eating after maturing moult. My only regret is that my phone camera couldn't capture all those stunning blues and greens:

IMG_20200906_222937.jpg

IMG_20200906_223203.jpg

Baby T

Arachnoknight
Hi. Just thought I'd jump on board this thread as I have a sling arriving tomorrow. Very excited!
I've taken Tom Moran's advice and set up an enclosure that has a bit more height to it... It's also bigger than what I'd house my slings in normally, I understand they are fast growing...
Look forward to sharing with you all!

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Hi. Just thought I'd jump on board this thread as I have a sling arriving tomorrow. Very excited!
I've taken Tom Moran's advice and set up an enclosure that has a bit more height to it... It's also bigger than what I'd house my slings in normally, I understand they are fast growing...
Look forward to sharing with you all!
Congrats, you will fall in love with it quickly. I’ve had mine a few weeks. I originally had an amac box but since it’s so tiny I used a small condiment container and used a push pin to create air holes small enough to where it can’t escape. Its literally a quarter size of my pinky nail.
Great webbers and eatters. I have mine on soil, moss, and leaf litter. Finding it can be a challenge. Seems to be thriving well and interesting to watch hunt.

I‘d point out where it’s at, but that’s half the fun...
8C4CEEE3-46FC-44F2-80BC-20DEDD3726D3.jpeg

Baby T

Arachnoknight
Congrats, you will fall in love with it quickly. I’ve had mine a few weeks. I originally had an amac box but since it’s so tiny I used a small condiment container and used a push pin to create air holes small enough to where it can’t escape. Its literally a quarter size of my pinky nail.
Great webbers and eatters. I have mine on soil, moss, and leaf litter. Finding it can be a challenge. Seems to be thriving well and interesting to watch hunt.

I‘d point out where it’s at, but that’s half the fun...
View attachment 359195
Hi and thanks!
I'm expecting to fall in love instantly! I have 2 enclosures set up actually. Just in case it's smaller than I'm expecting... It's advertised at 1-2 cm. I've used Coco fibre as substrate, will that be ok? I use it for all my Ts, can pick up moss easily too.
I've given it a small hide on an angle also. Hoping it will use this to make a web hide

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Hi and thanks!
I'm expecting to fall in love instantly! I have 2 enclosures set up actually. Just in case it's smaller than I'm expecting... It's advertised at 1-2 cm. I've used Coco fibre as substrate, will that be ok? I use it for all my Ts, can pick up moss easily too.
I've given it a small hide on an angle also. Hoping it will use this to make a web hide
Yep, coco fiber will be good. I threw moss and leaf litter in from an empty unused enclosure and it seems to use some of it to build a hide. I also have a small cork bark piece and the leaf to provide it webbing points and additional shelter. Not much I can do with a 4oz deli cup thing. 😆
Its been an easy sling to keep. Since I don’t have room for a water dish I just moisten a corner every few days and keep the rest dry and arid like my gbb.
Thing eats like a beast. It’s one of the more inquisitive T’s I have when I open up the container which brings a smile to my face every time.

Baby T

Arachnoknight
Yep, coco fiber will be good. I threw moss and leaf litter in from an empty unused enclosure and it seems to use some of it to build a hide. I also have a small cork bark piece and the leaf to provide it webbing points and additional shelter. Not much I can do with a 4oz deli cup thing. 😆
Its been an easy sling to keep. Since I don’t have room for a water dish I just moisten a corner every few days and keep the rest dry and arid like my gbb.
Thing eats like a beast. It’s one of the more inquisitive T’s I have when I open up the container which brings a smile to my face every time.
Ok great thanks for the info. I have a GBB too so good to know they can be kept the same.
I've never used leaf litter before... Seen plenty of people on here using it though. Definitely gives it a more realistic look.
The suspense is killing me!!! I know it's gonna arrive this afternoon but no time yet!

Baby T

Arachnoknight
So my little D.D arrived! I was expecting it to rocket out of the vile from all I've read about it's speed. But no! It was very calm and coaxed it out just fine.
Super tiny and super cute as expected 😍
I'll put some posts up in a few days once it's settled in.
Thanks to all for the info and advice on this species

Jess S

Arachnobaron
So my little D.D arrived! I was expecting it to rocket out of the vile from all I've read about it's speed. But no! It was very calm and coaxed it out just fine.
Super tiny and super cute as expected 😍
I'll put some posts up in a few days once it's settled in.
Thanks to all for the info and advice on this species
Probably still in a stress coma from shipping 😂
To be fair, I never found mine that bolty except on rehousings. One in particular, when without warning it moved so fast my eyes couldn't keep up with it 😂

Congrats on your new sling, they are a fabulous species to raise.

Baby T

Arachnoknight
Probably still in a stress coma from shipping 😂
To be fair, I never found mine that bolty except on rehousings. One in particular, when without warning it moved so fast my eyes couldn't keep up with it 😂

Congrats on your new sling, they are a fabulous species to raise.
Oh wow I'll look forward to the rehouse then!!
Thanks. Really looking forward to watching this one grow up ☺

Baby T

Arachnoknight
As soon as it's settled in a bit I'll post a pic. My camera phone is rubbish but I'll do my best! Saving to buy a decent camera, but I keep buying spiders!! 😂

supercat

Arachnopeon
Hi! I’m wondering about any sexual dimorphism? Do males hook out? I’ve had mine since it was a little sling for about a year now and it hadn’t shown any signs as to its sex either way. It’s pedipalps just look like normal feet atm.

Also I was rehousing him and he didn’t like the unfamiliar substrate so that’s why he was on the wall of the container. I made sure he didn’t fall and he’s now comfortably settled in, webbing up the place. :)

Attachments

Jess S

Arachnobaron
Hi! I’m wondering about any sexual dimorphism? Do males hook out? I’ve had mine since it was a little sling for about a year now and it hadn’t shown any signs as to its sex either way. It’s pedipalps just look like normal feet atm.

Also I was rehousing him and he didn’t like the unfamiliar substrate so that’s why he was on the wall of the container. I made sure he didn’t fall and he’s now comfortably settled in, webbing up the place. :)
Hi, that's a beautiful diamantinensis you have there.

My male matured after a year and it was 1" when I got it. So I'd say males mature around 18-24 months as a rough estimate.

Males do get tibial hooks and palpal bulbs.

There are some photos of my male on page 4 & 5 of this thread.

Even at a relatively small size, I noticed mine was quite leggy looking. Yours doesn't seem as leggy, so it could possibly be female, but a moult will tell you for sure.

jay444

Arachnosquire
I just rehoused my juvenile D. Diamantinensis for the first time. This specie is really grumpy for a new world T lol. Gave me the good old typical baboon stridulation-backflip-threatpose treatment. My fella is barely 2 inches and already displaying that kind of attitude, I'm amazed. Anyway, here is a pic of him after the rehouse! I will never get over how beautiful they are.
127787646_852489198838606_6728050418540211790_n.jpg

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I just rehoused my juvenile D. Diamantinensis for the first time. This specie is really grumpy for a new world T lol. Gave me the good old typical baboon stridulation-backflip-threatpose treatment. My fella is barely 2 inches and already displaying that kind of attitude, I'm amazed. Anyway, here is a pic of him after the rehouse! I will never get over how beautiful they are.
View attachment 367094
Gotta love that attitude for its size!! What a beautiful little tarantula!!

Hi
I got a threat pose from one of mine yesterday for giving it water and its only 1.7cm DLS if that.lol
My smallest tarantula to give me one and a proud dad moment.
Regards Konstantin

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Ooh the joys of things to look forward to. Mine are still slings, but display some of the boldness and slower to retreat these days.

KeGathings17

Arachnosquire
This may be off topic, and I can delete if it is, but does anyone here also own a P. Sazimai? How do the two differ in terms of temperament, care, behavior? I was torn between the sazi and this beautiful species, but went with the sazi, if only for the size difference, is this a must have T?