Doing some research for my first Theraphosa

TheRealJoePesci

Arachnopeon
Howdy everyone! So I have been doing some research and I think I am going to pull the trigger and pick up a T.apophysis. One thing I see alot of conflicting info on is the need for a drainage layer. Is it absolutely necessary for their high moisture dependency? Or can I achieve that with the right substrate mix? Thank you kindly!

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
Drainage layers is not neccessary if you have the correct mixture of substrate to hold on moisture. A mixture of coco fiber, vermiculite and peat moss would be perfect.

By the way. Are you really Joe Pesci? 🤔

emartinm28

Arachnoknight
A drainage layer is not necessary if you have proper ventilation. There should not be enough water in the substrate for any significant amount to accumulate on the bottom anyways

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
I don't think any T species require a standing water level that isn't in a water bowl. Having a healthy springtail population in your substrate will eliminate any mold that develops. Be very aware that Theraphosa hairs are no joke.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Theraphosa's are not hard to keep at all. If most experienced keepers think about it in simple terms. They're basically kept very similar to the A. geniculata, but with the extra space. Just moist substrate, good ventilation, and ideal space is fine for an enclosure. A drainage layer or substrate mixes are absolutely not necessary for them as long as they have decently moist substrate. The only thing a lot people should be aware of is that they have aggressive hairs. The T. apophysis is the worst hair kicker of all the Theraphosa's in my experience, but they're not too difficult to care for as what most people put them.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Howdy everyone! So I have been doing some research and I think I am going to pull the trigger and pick up a T.apophysis. One thing I see alot of conflicting info on is the need for a drainage layer. Is it absolutely necessary for their high moisture dependency? Or can I achieve that with the right substrate mix? Thank you kindly!
They aren't necessary.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
Drainage layers is not neccessary if you have the correct mixture of substrate to hold on moisture. A mixture of coco fiber, vermiculite and peat moss would be perfect.

are you Gary Busey?

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron

I use top soil, peat moss, sphagnum moss, eco earth, some stuff called reptisoil. Seems to work fine!

liquidfluidity

Arachnoknight
I actually use a very similar mix and it holds moisture like nobody's business. Using vermiculite and peat also helps with deterring mold and fungus.
I have my T. apophysis set up on bioactive deep substrate. Very interesting spider but, as stated, the hairs are nothing to mess with. Unfortunately, I am sensitive to urticating hairs and have since started wearing gloves..... still worth it !
Incredibly fast grower and a voracious eater. Over feeding will lead to a longer premolt time plus the more excess food you feed, it seems to make the molt process a bit more difficult - ime

TheRealJoePesci

Arachnopeon
Thanks alot everyone! So I picked up the specimen today and I used a mixture of coco, reptisoil, and vermiculite. It's so wild how it's still so young but almost 4inch dls, it can definitely move 😜

cold blood

Staff member
Nope, never used a drainage layer for any species., I keep everything on a mix of topsoil/sedge peat/fine vermiculite.
Agreed!

OP, there is actually no need to use ANYTHING special for substrate.....its just a matter of keeping it damp....deep substrate helps maintain moisture.

Use any sub or any combination like you have chosen.