dog question

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Lots of toys? Ever tried leaving the TV on with a news channel running?

I can only offer those two...

Edit: Come to think of it... toys primarily help when the dog enjoys destroying stuff in your absense. But if I remember correctly there are ways to train the dog to not express his suffering all too loudly. I can't think of the procedures though. I don't keep dogs either I have to admit, but I've been arround some a lot.

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well they have toys and there are two of them...i may try the tv i have seen that help other dogs...i am not wuite sure what to do and i don't want the neighbors freakin' out over them...

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
I looked arround and found this:
http://www.dogpatch.org/sheltie/barking.html

It deals with all kinds of barking problems. Your particular one (barking when gone) is below half the page, but I'd still advise to read all of it since parts of the techniques used against that particular problem are also mentioned at the top.

I can't say how good the advice on that page is, but it makes sense to me and the writer seems to have success.

ember

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Crate, covered with a thick blanket (nothing else in the crate other than the dog). Valarian root. Music CD (not radio - some sounds will alert or excite the dog).

thisgal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Get a bark collar. We have one that emits a higher and higher amount of electricity each time the dog barks. After 2 minutes of silence, it resets itself.

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
Get a bark collar. We have one that emits a higher and higher amount of electricity each time the dog barks. After 2 minutes of silence, it resets itself.
Do these work as they are supposed to even if the other dog barks? Meaning that the one with the collar isn't punished for nothing?

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well we had one of the neighbors listen to them during the day and they said it really wasn't a big deal...they mostly bark if someone walks by or something...but the newest they are doing is peeing and pooping when we aren't there but will refuse to go outside...bad little dogs! oh and they ate part of the couch...

thisgal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There are different kinds of bark collars. The ones that will shock (spme spray citronella) when ANY dog barks are generally really really cheap and should be avoided, since this is pointless. Usually the package will clarify which kind it is. Ours is tested by dragging both prongs across a smooth, flat surface, and seeing if the little red light blinks. It's designed to detect vibrations, not sounds. It was only about $50, I believe.

BTW, since all four of our dogs have had a taste of the collar :D , we can use a dummy collar in its place most of the time, and they think they have the bark collar on. All we do is put a second collar above their regular ID ones, and make it a tiny bit tighter than the other one.

Diva Satanica

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well we had one of the neighbors listen to them during the day and they said it really wasn't a big deal...they mostly bark if someone walks by or something...but the newest they are doing is peeing and pooping when we aren't there but will refuse to go outside...bad little dogs! oh and they ate part of the couch...
You definately need to get them into crates when you aren't home.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You need to train the dogs to go outside to do there buisness, thats a big problem! Did you ever leave them outside with food,water, and a dog house for mabye an hour? Mabye if they are used to being outside alot they will learn to go outside to pee or poo.

Sounds like they are bored and keep occupied by chewing things like your couch, and barking from boredome. They may also get nervous when you leave and thats why they go to the bathroom.

If the dogs are inside most of the day they are probably very bored and want to get outside and run around. Did you try walking them right before you leave the house so they are tired after?

If dogs are kept occupied they usually dont bark much.

Those kong toys filled with peanut butter or a liquid paste keep dogs occupied for hours.

You could also scatter treats around the house, so they spend time looking for the treats around the house or yard.

Motion sensor toys will also work even though your not in the house.

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
just a quick update...they seem to be adjusting quite well...the piddle pads seem to have been a waste of time but we started crate training and they are coming along wonderfully. The only time they seem to be having accidents is at night. We walk them multiple times throughout the day. Just to let you know the breeds one is a possible french bulldog or boston crossed with a chihuahua or dauschand...the other is a chihuahua mix of some sort...they are mutts pretty much...

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry for the late addition, but usually we leave the dog (pure bred, choclate chiuaua) we give her a sock or the dishrag or anything with the smell of us on it, that usually calms her down. One note with the potty pads, I've noticed the dog won't go unless it is in the same place all the time. We've moved it twice since we've had her (almost 4 years) and both times it took her some time to adjust.

KUJordan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
work off all the dogs' energy before leaving them alone. if they are too exhausted to bark or would rather have some peace and quiet to sleep then they'll usually not even worry about barking.

how i kennel trained my dog...

8legs2shave

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I work in a Veterinary Hospital, and I tell people that have barking dogs to take a Kong, you can get it at Petsmart, stuff it full of canned dog food, then freeze it untill it is completly solid, then give it to the dog when you leave. A food motivated dog will spend hours trying to get the food out of the Kong. (It takes care of the boerdom and fills the belly.) Good Luck!

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
we did burn their energy before but one has started her heartworm treatment so we can't over work her...on a side note i did not let the little girl get heartworms she was on a kill list at a shelter when the rescue group found her and i adopted her from them...i think i might try the leaving something with our scent on it for them...maybe a small blanket or something...thats a really good idea...thansk guys!

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would say either use a bark collar or crate it when youre not there.

Dogs bark out of boredom, most of the time. Mine does that when she is in the back yard for too long and has nothing better to do.

Dogs dont really like being shut outside for an entire day- I let mine outside for half an hour while I am getting ready for work and then she goes right back inside to sleep with my fiancee.