Dog has sudden behavior changes

Ookamii

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Im posting this for my mom. I live with her currently because my husband works 12 hour shifts at a prison and i am going on week 41 of my pregnancy...

The Dog is a Bull Terrier/Doberman Mix, Shes 4 years old this December and NORMALLY a very well behaved dog. I trained her myself and she listens to me more then she does any one else, half the time i only have to say her name to tell her to stop doing something bad. For the last week she has started going "potty" in the house, in the floors, the chairs, couches, and her Kennel. There has not been any new people comming over, no new animals, no change of her surroundings, but suddenly she started doing that, EVERY day. Shes using both types of potty in the house, not just urinating. She knows its wrong because as soon as she does it she runs off and hides. No we do not hit our pets Its cruel, we put her on the lease out side when she goes potty inside and we show her the "accedent" and tell her NO.

This is the First time since she was a few months old that she has gone in the house, some people have told me its probably because im about to "pop" soon and shes not happy with that. I do know she is a extreamly Jelouse dog, if your petting the cat instead of her she will growl at the cat, if my mom and dad hug eachother she growls at them and forces her self between them, if your talking to some one and not paying attention to her she will put her paws in your lap and whine and if that dont work she will bark and growl.

So could it be because im about to have a baby? I know im already worried about living in the same house as the dog when my baby gets hear, ive seen her growl at my baby cousins and my nepheuw "she has never hurt them, just didnt like the fact thay where being held and she wasnt bein petted"

Any Ideas? Any at all would be appreciated greatly.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, getting rid of the dog is obviously out of the question. Lol! Or is it?

Dogs are smarter than we sometimes give them credit. Especially if yours is part Doberman. It could possibly be that she is picking up on your elevated hormone levels and is anxious. The reasoning sounds convincing, but I'm not sure. Haven't ever thought to look into this before.

Has she still been going on walks and getting plenty of exercise/mental stimulation?

Honestly; though, having a dog that jealous of attention is scary. In all seriousness, you may want to consider living elsewhere, or find the dig a temporary home. I've seen dogs inflict major wounds on small kids in similar situations. If you feel it's risky, it more than likely is.

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I tend to agree with DrJ.

if my mom and dad hug eachother she growls at them and forces her self between them
She growls at them when they hug??? I would take that as an alarm bell that something quite unpleasant just may happen later down the track with a dog as jealous as her. I know how strong a bond can be between you and a pet (especially a dog) but in this case it just might not be such a bad idea to give her away. Sorry if that sounds harsh but think of the safety of all the children involved, as well as your own future child.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You got more issues if she's growling and very jealous.... You need 1 alpha in the house (your mom). The dog needs to know her place. I suggest watching some ceasar. lol

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
but in this case it just might not be such a bad idea to give her away. Sorry if that sounds harsh but think of the safety of all the children involved, as well as your own future child.
I don't see how this fixes things, it leaves you both and the dog with bad feelings. It's the owner fault this has escelated, and she should learn to correct the dogs behavior.

A firm tap on the side of the dog when she is doing bad behavior is appropriate and no where near cruel. (dogs do the same to eachother to get eachothers attention)

I suggest giving that a whirl during appropriate times.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No we do not hit our pets Its cruel, we put her on the lease out side when she goes potty inside and we show her the "accedent" and tell her NO.
As I said in my above post, the firm tap on the rear at the moment of deification is needed, you need point accuracy scolding... I find your way isn't sufficiant, as your dog then gets to go on a 'walk' with you outside, making her getting attention... this is what you dont want.

Also Don't put her outside, banish her to a corner, and make her lay down and stay and don't provide any attention to her. If she tries to move, tell her no. Be confident in your actions.

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't see how this fixes things
I do. It eliminates any chance of a jealous dog from inflicting any potential injuries on young children, even if that is a remote possibility.

But at the end of the day, it really is your call, Ookamii. We can only offer suggestions. The decision is up to you what to do.

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
For one thing, if she is urinating in the house, she could have a urinary track infection. I would have her checked out for that. Second, the growling needs to be addressed immediately. #1 thing is that any dog showing that behavior should not be allowed on the couch, bed, etc. If they are brave enough to growl at someone, they need to be reminded of their place in the pack and letting them up to your level is not recommended. I would talk to a trainer ASAP. I would watch her like a hawk around the baby and make sure she doesnt have a chance to be bad; as I would with ANY dog. Good luck, she probably just needs to have a little chat with Cesar Milan lol

Ookamii

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The slight swat on the hind is what we do when she growls at any one/thing besides when shes being protective over the yard and people are out there that aint saposed to be. we already took her to the vet shes in tip top shape. when i said "we dont hit our animals" i mean like the idiots that will smack them as hard as possible or kick them, stuff like that. Its not my choice to get rid of her because shes my parents dog, to her im Alpha though. She growled at me this morning when i got up and tryed to stand in my way, i swatted her, yelled her name and pointed to her kennel and she went and layed down and pouted for 2 hours.

Speedy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There are many reasons she could be eliminating in the house...

And you don't drag a dog to it's mess and say "NO!" dogs have a short 'association period', meaning she will not understand that she is being yelled at for going if you take her to her poo that she did ten minutes ago, you need to catch her IN THE ACT to correct her.. Praise her like crazy when she goes potty outside, I mean it. She tinkles - GOOD GIRL! Get excited about it.. If you don't CATCH her going in the house, don't try to correct it.

If she GROWLED at you, she does not see you as alpha, I'm telling you. She sees you as a bully most likely. Look at it from her point of view.. A leader doesn't need to shout and get loud or physical. That sounds like two pack members squabbling for a higher rank, not a follower and her leader.

Also do a lot of reading up on dog body language.

And seeing as she is half bully, I also recommend you join www.pitbull-chat.com and use their bull terrier section to talk with experienced owners.

I highly suggest you practice NILIF.. strictly.
http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm

Also, her possessiveness over the people in the home... be truthful, did you guys ever find it cute she'd run to your aid and growl when another person was getting close or physical? A LOT of people make the mistake of thinking it cute, esp. with pups, and encouraging it.. that turns into a big problem in the future..

And as he was mentioned.. CM's methods simply do NOT work long-term, he can't even control his own dogs when they want to do something, he uses physical force for short-term changes.

Ookamii

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
OK like i said before im not her owner, i trained her yes, my dad and mom are the ones that punish her, i only do when i see her doin some thing wrong, not after. Last week is the first time shes EVER growled at me. I do not agree with CM either, he mostly seams to abuse dogs, i saw one episode where he put a choke collar on a pom and lifted it off the ground with the collar/leash. My mom is taking her back to the vet again to double cheack her, and shes going to take her to a trainer as well. And about the "thinking its cute for her to protect us" i never thought it was cute when she barked or growled at any one because i, unlike my parents, HAVE read and watched MANY things about dog behavior, shes the first dog we have ever owned that accually listened to us, and thats because i praised her, and gave her treats when she was good, and was stern and punished her when she was cought being bad.
My dad did train her to bark when he took the trash out and when some one comes into the yard.

Speedy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you really care, talk to your parents about it, show them the NILIF website and others that really show their methods don't work or help.

I do actually like Victoria Stillwell, she actually works the change the behaviors, not punish the dog constantly.. she reinforces good behavior as well. There are quite a few things I don't agree with her on, but I would still choose her over CM. I suggest you find some of her episodes with dogs who are having similar issues as yours... One who was possessive like crazy over his owners and wouldn't let them get close was an American bulldog.. He was also very stranger aggressive..

She had the owners sit on the couch and hug/kiss, just be close, the second the dog got on them they stood quickly and ignored him. When he backed off they sat back down, and repeated. When he stopped intervening they called him over for praise.

You have a mix of two very hard-headed breeds, bred for protection, fighting, and drive. You have to be 100% consistent, and that's why it's important to get your parents on board.. OR else you will have a dog who is confused because YOU do right by her but your parents go a different direction.

Ookamii

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes i do watch Victoria's show, i agree with how she trains dogs as well. I will get my mom to start watchin the show with me and have her look up that sight. The dog isnt agressive to strangers, just barks and growls, once thay get close the dog starts wagging her tail and wants to be petted, but if its a strange dog she is aggressive. Thank you for the tips and information, its appreciated. Im wanting to try and get her behavior under controle before next wed when the docs induce me, but i know it wont be 100% under controle by then, im gunna watch her like a hawk though.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OP you should get pitbullady's input on your thread she is very smart and experinced with dogs, especially pitbulls. Send her a PM about your thread.

Ookamii

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Shes not a pitbull mix, shes a bull terrier mix, like the Target dog, or spuds mackenzie

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Here's my input:
You have a very dangerous situation on your hands, with a dominant-aggressive/possessive dog. The dog is marking territory, more likely than she is experiencing a health issue. The dog probably knows of the pregnancy due to hormonal changes, which cause pheremone changes. Keep this in mind-in a dog or wolf pack, normally only the Alpha female breeds, and it's quite normal for her to kill and cannibalize the pups of any other females that get pregnant. The fact that she has a history of growling at children because they were getting attention and she wasn't is a strong sign of impending disaster unless you do something NOW. I'm a believer in Cesar Milan's "pack leader" philosophy, and clearly, the dog is the pack leader now. I would no more trust this dog anywhere near a baby, unless you establish dominance(and I'm not talking about housetraining), anymore than I would leave the baby out in the middle of a busy highway. The dog needs to know that every human, no matter how small, comes before HER. I'd recommend watching Cesar Milan's DVD's or reading his books, because this is a time bomb waiting to go off, and no one can say, "the dog was always nice and never gave any warning", since what you have described are warning signs and THEN some that there is a headline in the making here, and the bad thing is, it's not going to say, "Spuds McKenzie x Dobie Mix Attacks Child", it's going to scream, from the front page and every major news agency, "PIT BULL MAULS HELPLESS INFANT TO DEATH". It won't matter if the dog is a Pointer, if it's short-haired, big and strong, it will suddenly become a "pit bull" when it does something awful, just as I've seen Walker Hounds, Labs and a ChowxLabxGerman Shepherd become "pit bulls" when they killed someone.

pitbulllady

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Shes not a pitbull mix, shes a bull terrier mix, like the Target dog, or spuds mackenzie
I still would have to agree with the suggestion to send Pitbulllady a pm. She knows dogs and would likely have some very helpful advice for you. :)

Edit* She beat me to it :D

Speedy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Bull Terriers have a lot in common with APBTs though. The temperaments are a bit different, but things like animal aggression and stubbornness they have in common. They both take a firm hand to train and will walk all over you if you let them... But that's most Terriers/Bull breeds.

To me she just sounds like she's confused about her place in the pack and needs some direction, and the fact you are trying and learning is great.