Dog broke a tooth

SamanthaMarikian

Arachnoknight
My dog, a large labrador, broke a tooth eating one of those dried yak cheese things. I even microwaved it so it was puffed up and airy as much as i could see. She went to town eating it and never stopped eating it or showed any signs of discomfort. So i went to go check on her teeth because i was thinking about how shes gnawing so much it probably cleaned her teeth some getting plaque off. But then when i was looking at her back teeth she chipped a molar in the back of her mouth on its side. Is it going to be prone to infection or anything? Im asking here because i dont know if its worth going to the vet if its not going to really affect her.

pongdict

Arachnosquire
It will affect her in some way. Dogs have high pain tolerance. She might be constantly in minor discomfort because of that. If it was our dog, I would take her to the vet.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
It's really hard to say.
As long as it didn't crack deep and it's just a chip in the enamel it probably won't lead to any immediate problems. Could be issues down the road, though. Last thing you want is for it to abscess. If you're concerned, let a vet look at it.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
If you can see a darkened or blood like area where it broke the pulp is exposed. This presents a hazard in that bacteria can enter and there is no healing protection - wound closure - like soft tissue has. If the pulp is exposed a vet would recommend pulling it. It will always have the potential to develop an abscess. The gum will heal.

(I was a vet assistant at one time. One of my jobs was holding the animal still while the vet pulled teeth. Not too bad with cogs and dats but horses are often rather exciting.)

Last edited:

SamanthaMarikian

Arachnoknight
If you can see a darkened or blood like area where it broke the pulp is exposed. This presents a hazard in that bacteria can enter and there is no healing protection - wound closure - like soft tissue has. If the pulp is exposed a vet would recommend pulling it. It will always have the potential to develop an abscess. The gum will heal.

(I was a vet assistant at one time. One of my jobs was holding the animal still while the vet pulled teeth. Not too bad with cogs and dats but horses are often rather exciting.)
There wasnt anything exposed from where it was chipped

The Snark

Old Timer
There wasnt anything exposed from where it was chipped
Great! Feel the tooth with your finger. If there are jagged edges consider having the vet grind them down if they are where they can cut his cheeks or tongue. It's a very simple procedure.

Egon

Arachnosquire
My 9-pound chihuahua cracked a tooth down the middle and didn't show any signs of discomfort but I'm sure it didn't feel great. I only realized it because it started to smell.

My dog's dentist only recommends giving dogs bones or chews that are soft enough that your fingernail will leave a dent in it when you press into it. She said anything harder has the ability to chip or break teeth on any dog -- large or small.

I'd be watch that tooth and make sure it doesn't continue to chip and erode. I think once it's chipped it's vulnerable to further breakdown.

Last edited:

xXTristinaXx

Arachnobaron
You could try using a tooth brush and press down or brush around the area to see if your dog shows pains, it’s annoying how well animals hide pain for survival reasons. my mom’s cat got hit by a car when she was little and at the vet the cat showed almost no signs of pain even though she had serious eternal bleeding and had to be put down.

SamanthaMarikian

Arachnoknight
Great! Feel the tooth with your finger. If there are jagged edges consider having the vet grind them down if they are where they can cut his cheeks or tongue. It's a very simple procedure.
will do😎😎 idk if she can hav any procedures where shes under anesthesia bc shes pretty old nearing 13

The Snark

Old Timer
idk if she can hav any procedures where shes under anesthesia bc shes pretty old nearing 13
Good point and glad you are thinking along those lines.
First, is it a jagged sharp break or it went below the enamel and the dentine (yellowish) is exposed? If the dentine is exposed a vet should make a judgement call.
Second, is the dog laconic and easy going and allows strangers to pet and cuddle it? If this is the case a good vet will 'tough it out' and can do the inspection and whatever remedial measures without general anesthesia. You will likely be called on to assist, calm and assure the animal.

It's not as extreme as it sounds. We commonly do dental work on horses without anesthesia. A good wrangler or two, for horse or dog, is usually enough. I've had a horse so easy going it fell asleep as I was filing a tooth. Started swaying, head drooping... HEY! WAKEY!

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
I have seen many times a dog break a tooth where nothing was exposed and the dogs never had an issue. Just pay attention to it.