Dog breeders in nj?--- Help please.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello guys. After trying to use petfinder and the shelters. When we find the dog we want(mainly my mom wants), we call the next day to find it got adopted. This happened several times already. We're pretty tired of going through that process. Plus the whole housing procedures they do is kinda a drag. It's way too annoying to go through that process just to find out someone else got to it first.

So I'm saying screw shelters and now Iam going to the next step of finding a suitable dog. Breeders. My mom wants something she finds cute. But I want something I can "bond" with and easily train-able. She likes frufru looking dogs if that makes sense. Think of cockapoos. Maltipoos. Anything that looks adorable like a button. She's not a fan of chihuahuas(I actually am--- she's very hard to deal with when it comes to this especially since chihuahuas are easy to find even for adoption.) I like bully breeds. Especially english bulldogs. But only thing she will "accept" is a frenchie. So idk if you guys know any french bulldog breeders. As well as a cockapoo/maltipoo breeders.

She doesn't like:
Dauchshounds
Chihuahuas
Almost all bulldogs
Pitbulls(terrified)
Rottweilers
Anything that's large. She prefers something fluffy. But not like a carpet. Like she doesn't like the look of a lhasa apso(neither do I), or the look of a peckagnese, etc. She likes yorkies(but we decided we're not getting into them since I dislike them).

She's very very very picky. which makes it harder finding a dog. I just want a god dang dog. I have experience with dogs since I used to take in strays and rehome them back in puertorico--- I don't do this now since there's no strays where I live--- obv. She wants something small/medium sized. Not too small but not too large. :S

I myself just don't want anything that's overly excited at night time hours. anything that's a hunting breed or may torment my rabbit.

So does anyone know of breeders in nj? I live in flanders, nj.

Sorry for the long post. Hope you guys understand.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
To be honest, MOST breeds of dogs are going to have some degree of territorialality and aggression if not properly trained and socialized, especially. There is no "perfect" dog. I have a friend who breeds French Bulldogs, and they are tough little dogs; in fact, personality-wise, they remind me a LOT of small APBT's, so if your mom doesn't like "pit bulls", she won't like a Frenchie, either. Most of the medium-sized breeds I know of are either going to have that high prey drive, which means they're likely to go after YOUR pets, or will be high energy and require a lot of training, or will be naturally territorial. Your best bet would probably be an adult mix of some Retriever breed, which has already been socialized around small animals, and I'd suggest Craigs List rather than a shelter, unless your shelter will "test" animals like ours does to see if they're compatible with rabbits, cats, etc.

pitbulllady

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
To be honest, MOST breeds of dogs are going to have some degree of territorialality and aggression if not properly trained and socialized, especially. There is no "perfect" dog. I have a friend who breeds French Bulldogs, and they are tough little dogs; in fact, personality-wise, they remind me a LOT of small APBT's, so if your mom doesn't like "pit bulls", she won't like a Frenchie, either. Most of the medium-sized breeds I know of are either going to have that high prey drive, which means they're likely to go after YOUR pets, or will be high energy and require a lot of training, or will be naturally territorial. Your best bet would probably be an adult mix of some Retriever breed, which has already been socialized around small animals, and I'd suggest Craigs List rather than a shelter, unless your shelter will "test" animals like ours does to see if they're compatible with rabbits, cats, etc.

pitbulllady
Hmm and smaller dogs?

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
As well as a cockapoo/maltipoo breeders
All of these -poo and other cutesy named "designer" dogs are not breeds, they are mutts. I wouldn't go near one of the so-called "breeders" that produces these, because the sole reason these cutesy named crosses exist is to turn a quick buck (and before anyone whines, I realize that in Australia there is a reason they're producing Labradoodles. I'm talking about the typical person on craigslist selling his F2 MUTT). Sure, they might raise their dogs humanely and care for them, but it's highly unlikely that the dogs have had any sort of genetic testing or the other responsible breeding measures that well bred purebreds are subject to. And contrary to popular belief, mixing breeds DOES NOT automatically result in a healthier dog. If you breed two poorly bred purebreds, you'll probably wind up with a mutt with the same issues, especially for common conditions that transcend breeds like any number of joint and skin issues.

What's more, most of them are not more than a few generations mixed, many just plain mixes of two purebreds, so there is rarely consistency in what you get in terms of looks, temperament, grooming needs, etc. There is a world of difference between the behavior, grooming, adult size, etc. of some of these breeds, and you have no idea what you'll be getting in the puppy. I can tell you that NO responsible breeder of dogs deliberately creates MUTTS. The whole point of dog breeding is to produce breeds with consistent traits in appearence, temperament, quality, etc.

If she wants a small dog, and is too impatient for shelters (have you guys gone in person or just used petfinder?), find a responsible breeder of a breed of dog. While I don't like a few things about the AKC, they do have some very good breeders IF you know what you're looking for; use their website to locate one. Seek someone whose dogs are registered and preferably titled, who has lineages that go back several generations, who does health testing, who is a member of a breed organization, who demonstrates a wealth of knowledge on the breed and is enthusiastic to share that knowledge so that you have a good match, etc. This should be someone who LOVES the breed passionately, not someone who just happened to have two unfixed dogs and figured "eh, why not?"

Basically, when it comes to deliberately bred dogs: do it right or not at all. And if she is going by "cute!" make sure she READS UP on each breed she considers at length first; if she has unrealistic expectations about some cute little fuzzball she buys being the perfect dog, she will wind up with a dog that has behavioral issues, and it will probably become one of many purebred dogs in shelters.

Personally, I believe PBL is on the money on this one though; get an adult mixed breed dog that you can determine your compatability with & how well it works for your household. Your mom could look into a private individual trying to rehome their dog if you find shelters involve jumping through too many hoops. While you have to be leery of people trying to dump dogs with bad temperaments or health conditions, there are a TON of dogs out there that people are getting rid of simply due to changes in their life (finances, moving, new baby, etc.). The benefit of these dogs is that they are usually adults with defined temperaments - so you know what you are getting. And the original owner, if the love the dog, will probably let you visit a few times to ensure compatability.

The other reason I suggest this is that it really does come down to the individual dog. Breed has a lot of influence in what you can expect to get, but it isn't the be-all, end-all either. I have a dog right now who is a beagle/chow mix. If I saw a breed of that mix at a shelter, I would probably walk past it without a second glance to be totally honest, based on some of the personality/behavioral pitfalls of each breed. She is the gentlest, most obedient, calmest, best behaved dog I have. One huge benefit of meeting adult dogs before adopting is that you know what you're getting, not what you're hoping to get based on the breed.

apopli

Arachnopeon
A vast majority of the purebred dogs I've trained professionally are dogs people got because they wanted a big dog, or a non shedding dog, or a cute dog, and they get a dog with the awesome look they wanted, and end up with a breed they're completely incompatible with. The apartment dwellers who were gone a total of 11 hours a day most days who got a border collie come to mind. Or the soft spoken, quiet couple who thought a bulldog would arrive as a gentle couch potato who wouldn't require discipline or leadership.

Most important thing to determine is your lifestyle and expectations of the dog, then center around breeds that fit into that, rather than simply looking for an image. There are a lot of dog breed selection quizzes that can start pointing you in the right direction like *this one* or *this one*. They're all over the net. I wouldn't take something like that for gospel, but they can help start narrowing the search.

There are flukes. One guy I worked with had a German Shorthaired Pointer, and if this dog were any more laid back he'd be dead. Dragged his feet on walks, enjoyed spending his days laying in the sun, or cuddled on the couch. Had maybe 1 or 2 good bursts of energy tearing around the yard for a couple minutes and he was good all day, absolutely no prey drive. But that's not the norm, and you can't count on finding that one hunting dog that won't hunt, so you really need to know what you (or your mother) are looking for.

The akc website has a lot of good resources *here* on registered breeders, online classifieds, and the website has a lot of info on breeds of dogs recognized as well.

And, as stated, there's a lot to be said for the "what you see is what you get" aspect of adopting an adult dog from a rescue/shelter. It can be frustrating dealing with websites and listings that are out of date, but if you can get a better idea of what your mother is looking for in a dog (temperament/activity level first, then looks) you can also try breed specific rescues, they often do a little more to match the dogs to the owners.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hmm and smaller dogs?
The most prey-driven dogs I've ever had were Chinese Cresteds. Those little dogs were no joke when it came to killing things; in fact, THAT was why I quit breeding them! They would actually injure themselves trying to get to my snakes, even though they'd been raised in the house around snakes from day one, and if they saw an animal outside, they were like four-legged bullets fired from a gun. You absolutely could NOT stop them from going after it and killing it if it was their size or smaller. Many Toy breeds started out as ratters and other vermin killers, and that instinct to chase and kill other animals is still very strong in many. Small breeds like Lhasa Apsos, Shih Tzus, Cockers and Chihuahuas also lead bite statistics in many cities and have been responsible for some really severe bites. It's not because they're naturally aggressive, but because people who get them often fail to properly train them and treat them as though they were human, which they're not. That results in a spoiled, dominant-aggressive dog. As RoachGirlRen said, many times people get dogs like this and have unrealistic expectations of dog behavior, which results in BAD behavior on the part of the dog. One of the biggest causes of those unrealistic expectations is stereotyping of breed behavior, i.e. assuming that "Breed A" is inherently vicious, and "Breed B" is inherently nice and sweet by default. It's been my own personal experience that 75% of a dog's behavior, insofar as aggression towards people goes, is due to training and socialization and its place in its "pack", NOT its breed. You can control the natural territorial aggression and dog aggression in most dogs IF you are an experienced "dog person", but if you're afraid of certain kinds of dogs simply because of negative media publicity, this shows that you're already insecure and lack knowledge where dogs are concerned, so there's not going to be any dog, really, that likely won't be a problem down the line.

pitbulllady

Pssh

Arachnoknight
I do not support the purchasing of dogs (especially when you do not research the breeder/kennel.) I have found nothing but the best of dogs from my local spca. My aunt takes in stray dogs and with proper training, exercise, and care there has not been a single dog that she could not find a home for almost immediately.

Dont expect the "perfect" dog. If you want a dog that lives up to your expectations, get an adult dog with an established personality and be prepared to care for it and train it properly. That means walks every day, high quality food, exercise, stimulation, etc. Of course the amount of work you have to put into it will depend on the individual dog. (My dog gets fat if we miss more than two or three walks for example. She is always on a diet as she likes to find people food. That means that every member of the family has to remember to take proper precautions regarding food.) A dog is work. Fun just comes with the effort.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
All of these -poo and other cutesy named "designer" dogs are not breeds, they are mutts. I wouldn't go near one of the so-called "breeders" that produces these, because the sole reason these cutesy named crosses exist is to turn a quick buck (and before anyone whines, I realize that in Australia there is a reason they're producing Labradoodles. I'm talking about the typical person on craigslist selling his F2 MUTT). Sure, they might raise their dogs humanely and care for them, but it's highly unlikely that the dogs have had any sort of genetic testing or the other responsible breeding measures that well bred purebreds are subject to. And contrary to popular belief, mixing breeds DOES NOT automatically result in a healthier dog. If you breed two poorly bred purebreds, you'll probably wind up with a mutt with the same issues, especially for common conditions that transcend breeds like any number of joint and skin issues.

What's more, most of them are not more than a few generations mixed, many just plain mixes of two purebreds, so there is rarely consistency in what you get in terms of looks, temperament, grooming needs, etc. There is a world of difference between the behavior, grooming, adult size, etc. of some of these breeds, and you have no idea what you'll be getting in the puppy. I can tell you that NO responsible breeder of dogs deliberately creates MUTTS. The whole point of dog breeding is to produce breeds with consistent traits in appearence, temperament, quality, etc.

If she wants a small dog, and is too impatient for shelters (have you guys gone in person or just used petfinder?), find a responsible breeder of a breed of dog. While I don't like a few things about the AKC, they do have some very good breeders IF you know what you're looking for; use their website to locate one. Seek someone whose dogs are registered and preferably titled, who has lineages that go back several generations, who does health testing, who is a member of a breed organization, who demonstrates a wealth of knowledge on the breed and is enthusiastic to share that knowledge so that you have a good match, etc. This should be someone who LOVES the breed passionately, not someone who just happened to have two unfixed dogs and figured "eh, why not?"

Basically, when it comes to deliberately bred dogs: do it right or not at all. And if she is going by "cute!" make sure she READS UP on each breed she considers at length first; if she has unrealistic expectations about some cute little fuzzball she buys being the perfect dog, she will wind up with a dog that has behavioral issues, and it will probably become one of many purebred dogs in shelters.

Personally, I believe PBL is on the money on this one though; get an adult mixed breed dog that you can determine your compatability with & how well it works for your household. Your mom could look into a private individual trying to rehome their dog if you find shelters involve jumping through too many hoops. While you have to be leery of people trying to dump dogs with bad temperaments or health conditions, there are a TON of dogs out there that people are getting rid of simply due to changes in their life (finances, moving, new baby, etc.). The benefit of these dogs is that they are usually adults with defined temperaments - so you know what you are getting. And the original owner, if the love the dog, will probably let you visit a few times to ensure compatability.

The other reason I suggest this is that it really does come down to the individual dog. Breed has a lot of influence in what you can expect to get, but it isn't the be-all, end-all either. I have a dog right now who is a beagle/chow mix. If I saw a breed of that mix at a shelter, I would probably walk past it without a second glance to be totally honest, based on some of the personality/behavioral pitfalls of each breed. She is the gentlest, most obedient, calmest, best behaved dog I have. One huge benefit of meeting adult dogs before adopting is that you know what you're getting, not what you're hoping to get based on the breed.
I understand. I guess my mother is too hard headed in a sense. Personally I like jack russels(cute and hyper is good enough for me--- idc how obnoxious it is to others. To me--- myself is a type of breed I'd like.), german shepherds (majestic dog with a calm and docile temperament. Good as a walking partner and possible pluses are possible body guard should a stranger go by--- the most will happen is the dog will bark and the stranger will leave. lol). There's pitbulls(gentle giants, not really what people make them seem to be--- plus those eyes. So cute. I honestly have alot of respect for them. I looked them in the eye before. Nothing happens. It's bs when people say they go crazy). There's also bulldogs, chihuahuas, wired hair fox terrier, airdale terrier, mini pincher, chow chows(Huge teddy bears, though I keep getting told they are nasty and ferocious and is too hard to train--etc).

I'm selective about dogs. But not too much. I just don't like the retrievers, collies, etc. Those annoy the living crap out of me soo badly. My neighbors one won't shut the heck up everytime I go into MY own god dang yard. It's MY yard. I shouldn't have to deal with that barking. :c

---------- Post added at 02:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 AM ----------

A vast majority of the purebred dogs I've trained professionally are dogs people got because they wanted a big dog, or a non shedding dog, or a cute dog, and they get a dog with the awesome look they wanted, and end up with a breed they're completely incompatible with. The apartment dwellers who were gone a total of 11 hours a day most days who got a border collie come to mind. Or the soft spoken, quiet couple who thought a bulldog would arrive as a gentle couch potato who wouldn't require discipline or leadership.

Most important thing to determine is your lifestyle and expectations of the dog, then center around breeds that fit into that, rather than simply looking for an image. There are a lot of dog breed selection quizzes that can start pointing you in the right direction like *this one* or *this one*. They're all over the net. I wouldn't take something like that for gospel, but they can help start narrowing the search.

There are flukes. One guy I worked with had a German Shorthaired Pointer, and if this dog were any more laid back he'd be dead. Dragged his feet on walks, enjoyed spending his days laying in the sun, or cuddled on the couch. Had maybe 1 or 2 good bursts of energy tearing around the yard for a couple minutes and he was good all day, absolutely no prey drive. But that's not the norm, and you can't count on finding that one hunting dog that won't hunt, so you really need to know what you (or your mother) are looking for.

The akc website has a lot of good resources *here* on registered breeders, online classifieds, and the website has a lot of info on breeds of dogs recognized as well.

And, as stated, there's a lot to be said for the "what you see is what you get" aspect of adopting an adult dog from a rescue/shelter. It can be frustrating dealing with websites and listings that are out of date, but if you can get a better idea of what your mother is looking for in a dog (temperament/activity level first, then looks) you can also try breed specific rescues, they often do a little more to match the dogs to the owners.
My life style is:

--- Normally lazy, yet I do like to go outside here and there. When I do end up going outside I go for very very long walks(I like to explore). But I don't do that too often. and when I do. I'm ussually just herping.
---I'm hyper, but easily irritable. I do like to give attention but not soo much that every single second is spent on JUST that.
---I like taking them for walks. But I also like small breeds because they fit in my backpack(hole open--- long story don't ask. I did this with my rabbit. She liked it. but Im not sure a dog will. lolol)
---I have bad sleep patterns and when I sleep and I get abruptly woken up I tend to get aggressive(that's my only aggression. :p). Meaning no night time barking!!
---I guess ill play with the dog. But would rather have it sit with me watching tv. Or such. lol.

---------- Post added at 02:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 AM ----------

I do not support the purchasing of dogs (especially when you do not research the breeder/kennel.) I have found nothing but the best of dogs from my local spca. My aunt takes in stray dogs and with proper training, exercise, and care there has not been a single dog that she could not find a home for almost immediately.

Dont expect the "perfect" dog. If you want a dog that lives up to your expectations, get an adult dog with an established personality and be prepared to care for it and train it properly. That means walks every day, high quality food, exercise, stimulation, etc. Of course the amount of work you have to put into it will depend on the individual dog. (My dog gets fat if we miss more than two or three walks for example. She is always on a diet as she likes to find people food. That means that every member of the family has to remember to take proper precautions regarding food.) A dog is work. Fun just comes with the effort.
Well a dog obv. is work. Some are less work than others. :p Like a small CALM dog is less of a pain than a super hyper and large dog that can be out for hours daily and needs tons of excersice.

I'm a couch potato. I rather take it for a walk but not more than an hour if anything. my other family m embers will take it for a walk but yeah. Lol maybe I should get a treadmill and get the dog to walk in the treadmill. XDDD lolol(joke).

I get the whole shelter thing. But not every shelter is the best. Some shelters are actually bad. Not all breeders are bad either. That means by knowing the parent's lineage you can tell what your dog ---MOST LIKELY--- will end up being.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
"Gentle giant" isn't a term I'd apply to a real American Pit Bull Terrier. The breed standard calls for a dog that weighs between 35-60 pounds and stands 18 1/2 inches at the shoulder. If you get out a yardstick, you will see that's NOT a big dog. This is one of the reasons why so many hate/fear "pit bulls", that assumption that they are these huge monsters. There are many, many dogs out there that are being called "pit bulls"(which is NOT a breed, by the way), which have absolutely no APBT genes in them at all, or very little, which have been deliberately bred to be aggressive and territorial. I'm 5' 2", and I can pick up a fully-grown real American Pit Bull Terrier.

The problem here is that dogs your mother would like are going to be dogs that are likely to be problematic for YOU, since you keep a small mammal pet. What I'd suggest is to check with breeders in your state and see if any have adult dogs, perhaps retired show dogs/breeders, that have been socialized and are used to small animals. Obviously, Sporting, Hound and Terrier breeds are going to have the highest prey drives, as are primitive breeds like Huskies. That doesnt' leave many breeds, and most of the dogs that do best with small animals are livestock guarding dogs that are usually really BIG. Retriever breeds usually do well with small animals IF they are raised with them, but again, they are large dogs, with the exception of the fairly rare Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, a medium-sized dog that will probably be pretty expensive. I agree with you that not all shelters are good, but the only way to know is to actually visit them. You can also check with breed rescuers in your area; a lot of breed rescues have a national "network" of people which can help get a particular dog to you if it's in a different part of the country, so you're not limited to a dog from NJ, necessarily. Most "test" dogs to determine their compatibility with other animals, too.

pitbulllady

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
"Gentle giant" isn't a term I'd apply to a real American Pit Bull Terrier. The breed standard calls for a dog that weighs between 35-60 pounds and stands 18 1/2 inches at the shoulder. If you get out a yardstick, you will see that's NOT a big dog. This is one of the reasons why so many hate/fear "pit bulls", that assumption that they are these huge monsters. There are many, many dogs out there that are being called "pit bulls"(which is NOT a breed, by the way), which have absolutely no APBT genes in them at all, or very little, which have been deliberately bred to be aggressive and territorial. I'm 5' 2", and I can pick up a fully-grown real American Pit Bull Terrier.

The problem here is that dogs your mother would like are going to be dogs that are likely to be problematic for YOU, since you keep a small mammal pet. What I'd suggest is to check with breeders in your state and see if any have adult dogs, perhaps retired show dogs/breeders, that have been socialized and are used to small animals. Obviously, Sporting, Hound and Terrier breeds are going to have the highest prey drives, as are primitive breeds like Huskies. That doesnt' leave many breeds, and most of the dogs that do best with small animals are livestock guarding dogs that are usually really BIG. Retriever breeds usually do well with small animals IF they are raised with them, but again, they are large dogs, with the exception of the fairly rare Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, a medium-sized dog that will probably be pretty expensive. I agree with you that not all shelters are good, but the only way to know is to actually visit them. You can also check with breed rescuers in your area; a lot of breed rescues have a national "network" of people which can help get a particular dog to you if it's in a different part of the country, so you're not limited to a dog from NJ, necessarily. Most "test" dogs to determine their compatibility with other animals, too.

pitbulllady
I understand what you mean. But to our family we only have kept small dogs. So of course a pitbull will appear to be a "large" dog. Especially to my mother. The dogs I seen called "pitbulls" were actual pitbulls. Paperwork and everything according to my sibling.

Anywho--- my mother got her dog. She's well happy--- I myself am not pleased. The dog is an indoor dog which is fine. I like indoor dogs. In fact I want one of my own. But. I rather have a dog that can rough it out everyonce in a while. Not alone---god no that's horrible to do. But like say if I wanna go hiking. I wanna be able to take it with me--- mind you I don't hike often and what I call "hiking" is just a stroll around the woods.

Now I came to an agreement with my parents and they will let me keep my OWN dog as long as I can pay for it and care for it on my own--- with little assistance of theirs. As well as we came to an agreement that since Iam going to be working soon to start off ill help my mom with her dog as much as I can and when I can when I work. But when my dog comes in months later that she will help out with mine whenever it's necessary.

Now I'm looking for a low energy dog because that would mean that all it would require before I go to work is a stroll along the block and let it poop outside and change the food and water and give it toys to play as well as let it play with the other dog(its a cockapoo they got it either way-- its a pup. my dad said they got papers for the parents who were a cocker spaniel and a poodle and that both are akc or something--- not my dog, not my prob. thats what they told me and got it anyways). Well what Iam hoping is that the dog is a good loyal companion that I can relax with. I'm extremely emotionally sensitive and a calm dog, that is loyal, friendly, and obedient is good for me. Sure dogs have their flaws. Like health issues. But atleast I can work with that. Ummm. Any bully dog owners out there?

I'd like to know their experiences on these. I'm thinking of an english bulldog.

I took a personality match up quiz. Like someone on here told me to. It pointed me to a bulldog. lol. I'm not a fan of the slobber--- but I can deal with it. I guess ill get a hanky for it. XDDD

I'd like to know good bull dog breeders in new jersey. I rather opt. for a breeder because since I rather have something that is certified. I wont mind if its slightly different but yeah. I also like it if its a good travel companion. Idk what my actual career will be. But i'd like something that can cope with land travel. Not air. I'm talking about cars and such.

Idk if that's my only option as a dog. But Iam quite fond of bully dogs. I'd like a smaller dog right now because--- well my parents will have a better time dealing with that should I need them to take the dog for a walk while Iam at work. A big dog--- very strong pull. I'm not planning on rushing into it. I rather get a number of a good certified veterinarian first. Which I maybe the vet if I end up studying to be one. :p But for now I guess Id like to know if anyone on here knows good dog vets that charge fairly(price isn't that bad as long as say there's two vets, with equal equipment, knowledge, experience, etc. But one is charging more than the other-- obv. ill go for the one charging less. or the one more convenient to drive to).

I like english bulldogs, french bulldogs, chihuahuas, mini pinscher, boston terrier. Though I want something mellow, small and allergy friendly( i dont have bad allergies-- but just in case), and with a low prey drive.

My rabbit will be living in with me in the basement so theres no worry of the other dog. But my dog I wanna make sure I can be away without the dog harrassing the crud out of my bunny. She's very calm and shy bunny so she doesn't need that stress. Maybe I can keep them hidden from each other through a wooden fence style thing. Like the rabbit will be in the cage but the dog won't be able to see the rabbit you know?
I also wanna be able to let the dog wander around without tearing up my stuff. I guess ill "doggy" proof it. By putting all cords through a pvc pipe to prevent them from getting electrocuted. And put a child pen on all the areas I want them to stay away from. But still have his room and space and be able to do what he wants or she wants. As well as if he wants playtime with the other dog that'd be fine.

her dog seems to be subdominant. kinda shy.

Any opinions on this? I strongly feel that an english bulldog would be the best route for me to go.

Pssh

Arachnoknight
Pure breds are much more likely to have health issues. English bull dogs have a TON of possible problems that you may have to deal with (very expensive.)

You will not be able to find what you are looking for in a small puppy. An adult dog is the only way you will get the personality you want.

I feel very strongly that you should look into adoption rather than a breeder. They do have breed specific shelters you know. We have a few sled dog and pyranese shelters around here for example.

jt39565

Arachnoknight
An english bulldog is NOT a hiking dog! Not even a stroll through the woods. Get a cat and be happy.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I like english bulldogs, french bulldogs, chihuahuas, mini pinscher, boston terrier. Though I want something mellow, small and allergy friendly( i dont have bad allergies-- but just in case), and with a low prey drive.
You might find individuals of the above breeds that are mellow, probably more the Eng Bull than any of the others. NONE of the above are allergy friendly. Allergy friendly breeds include: Poodle, Shih Tzu, Havanese, Bichon Frise. Any of the 'haired' breeds.
Min Pins were bred to be ratters. VERY HIGH prey drive. Frenchies and Bostons aren't far behind in the prey drive department.

You will need very deep pockets for an English Bull, above and beyond the initial cost which could run from $600 to $3000. Rarely do they come without multiple issues: prolapsed nictitating membranes, entropion, stenotic nares, collapsing trachea, elongated soft palate, demodicosis, hemi-vertebrae, tail fold/facial fold issues, chronic malassezia, seasonal allergies, environmental allergies, food allergies..... to name a few. Nor are Eng Bulls considered 'small', though that may depend on your definition of small. They average 40 to 50 pounds, and I have seen some into the 70s and 80s.

obv. ill go for the one charging less. or the one more convenient to drive to).
Sometimes you get what you pay for...

My rabbit will be living in with me in the basement so theres no worry of the other dog. But my dog I wanna make sure I can be away without the dog harrassing the crud out of my bunny.
Some carnivores will get along with prey animals... More likely, you will come home one day to find no bunny and a dog with a full belly.

her dog seems to be subdominant
Huh? Do you mean submissive?

I have bad sleep patterns and when I sleep and I get abruptly woken up I tend to get aggressive
You definitely do not need a puppy.

I like jack russels(cute and hyper is good enough for me--- idc how obnoxious it is to others. To me--- myself is a type of breed I'd like.), german shepherds (majestic dog with a calm and docile temperament. Good as a walking partner and possible pluses are possible body guard should a stranger go by--- the most will happen is the dog will bark and the stranger will leave. lol). There's pitbulls(gentle giants, not really what people make them seem to be--- plus those eyes. So cute. I honestly have alot of respect for them. I looked them in the eye before. Nothing happens. It's bs when people say they go crazy). There's also bulldogs, chihuahuas, wired hair fox terrier, airdale terrier, mini pincher, chow chows(Huge teddy bears, though I keep getting told they are nasty and ferocious and is too hard to train--etc).
Wow... you need to do a lot of research before you consider getting a dog of any kind.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pure breds are much more likely to have health issues. English bull dogs have a TON of possible problems that you may have to deal with (very expensive.)

You will not be able to find what you are looking for in a small puppy. An adult dog is the only way you will get the personality you want.

I feel very strongly that you should look into adoption rather than a breeder. They do have breed specific shelters you know. We have a few sled dog and pyranese shelters around here for example.
Hmm okay ill look into it. Thanks. any suggestions for dogs? I keep reading about dogs and all seems to keep pointing mainly at the chihuahua. Keypoints:
1)Loyal---normally bonding to one person. 2)High energy but needs only 30mins of excersice. Though i'd give it an hour or two if necessarry. I wouldn't mind
3)Low prey drive. 4)Small/compact size(easy for travelling as well--though its more of a plus) 5)Intelligence(plus than a necessity)

@Jt: Okay thanks!. Though I hate cats. Well more of like "dislike".

---------- Post added at 01:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 AM ----------

You might find individuals of the above breeds that are mellow, probably more the Eng Bull than any of the others. NONE of the above are allergy friendly. Allergy friendly breeds include: Poodle, Shih Tzu, Havanese, Bichon Frise. Any of the 'haired' breeds.
Min Pins were bred to be ratters. VERY HIGH prey drive. Frenchies and Bostons aren't far behind in the prey drive department.

You will need very deep pockets for an English Bull, above and beyond the initial cost which could run from $600 to $3000. Rarely do they come without multiple issues: prolapsed nictitating membranes, entropion, stenotic nares, collapsing trachea, elongated soft palate, demodicosis, hemi-vertebrae, tail fold/facial fold issues, chronic malassezia, seasonal allergies, environmental allergies, food allergies..... to name a few. Nor are Eng Bulls considered 'small', though that may depend on your definition of small. They average 40 to 50 pounds, and I have seen some into the 70s and 80s.

Sometimes you get what you pay for...

Some carnivores will get along with prey animals... More likely, you will come home one day to find no bunny and a dog with a full belly.

Huh? Do you mean submissive?

You definitely do not need a puppy.

Wow... you need to do a lot of research before you consider getting a dog of any kind.
Jesus man talk about being a prick! Ima cut to the chase, pretty much all that was placed into the post you have just made is offensive. I get what you are saying: no dog is perfect. Which is true-- but there's atleast one dog that is fit for a persons lifestyle and wants. There's over a 100 breeds of dogs. I'm pretty sure there is atleast 2-3 breeds that are good for what I want. A puppy is not a necessity, i'd like one but yeah. I'm okay with atleast a year old dog.

An english bulldog to me is small. I have a weird perception of size. For example a pitbull is large to me. But a bulldog and anything of that sort is small to medium. Of course I need to do alot of research. Which is why I posted the original thread. This is to get a roughage of what is good for my needs and lifestyle.

Basically what I asked is what dog I could have for myself that would be a "buddy" to myself, won't tear up my bunny(itll be inside of its cage but some dogs have a stronger persistence and higher prey drive than others. obviously all dogs are predators. But some are less harmfull than others. ) As well as I wanna be able to go to work and not have to worry about the dog being depressed or something. I mean how do people who live on their own keep a dog then if they have work and can't have someone look after it while they aren't there? My mom will be there to care for it while Iam away--- but I like thinking of the possible case scenarios which may ever occur. A dog is a responsibility--- but I nor anyone else can lie and say they have all the time in the world to give the dog unlimited attention. It's what Iam saying. People have to go to work to bring in the bacon. But how do you make sure the pooch is okay and fine?

Sure you get what you pay for. But sometimes it doesn't work like that. Many times I'ved bought higher priced stuff like say.... There's a higher priced fish food for goldfish. but that fish food is actually not even good for them. While a cheaper one is actually better. It's an example.
So how is that getting what you payed for? I'm all bout love, care, devotion, and spending on your pet making sure its groomed and pampered. But there's a difference between doing that, and spending money on something it doesn't need or it's completely the same.

another example is--- go to a petstore and look at those small 1.5 gallon fish tank kits. Costs like 50-100dollars for those small desk top fish tanks. Complete garbage which you could be using that money to get a tank thats like 20g-30g or even 40g. You payed alot of money for that small kit--- but in the end it was crap. That happens A LOT of the times with things pet related. When I'm more awake ill post up more examples. So that whole rule isn't really a good rule of thumb. It's more of learning the value of the dollar.

and no I mean subdominant. Here's the defenition:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/subdominant

She's shy, but she's also bold. I consider her to be sub-dominant. I mean her whole personality screams out "sub-dominant".

Telling me "Wow... you need to do a lot of research before you consider getting a dog of any kind." isn't really helpful at all. Since its not really giving anything that's really going to contribute to it. Instead of making that comment you could have just suggested on what to read and such.

jt39565

Arachnoknight
On second thought, get a teddy bear - stay away from ANYTHING that is living.

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Too late. ;) I keep alot of live things. Toads, spideys, fish, etc. Stuff has lived for longer than 5years for me. Except the spideys which were newer. :D I'ved had dogs before. In all honesty though-- in that other post where that other guy said people tend to act like experts on here and such. I'm starting to think he was right. I mean you and every other person making rude comments could be more tactful. In the end, acting like a show off and pushing people away from the pet hobby is not beneficial to YOUR and THEIR cause. Because now you will have ignorant people who will fail to listen to anything you-- or anyone else says and possibly ban all pets from the hobby. Just because some kid thought he's cool to put other people down on a forum by trying to patronize him/her when he/she is only asking a question. This happens very often to many people.

Don't believe me though about the banning of pets? Go look into it then. But when the time comes and theres that new law that's going to be comming out and trying to pass and you need people to sign against it-- and nobody listens to you except the ones already in the hobby all I can say is say good bye to your hobby just because of your actions.

I'm saying this because this is a very true and serious matter that is going to be going down. As the saying goes "more flies are caught with honey than vinegar". Then anything "exotic" and labeled as so will become illegal should that law pass. So right now--- you and everyone else being a prick on this forum think hard and long about your attitude towards others. Because most people who keep exotics have some sort of attitude problem. You know who you are--- don't deny it. In the end it won't help you. Do as you want but know this when the hobby of exotics becomes illegal please know its your fault and please kick yourself in the butt.

You may think your post is not offensive--- but telling someone they cannot care for an animal is not only an insult that's just a doosh bag thing to do. No matter what you or anyone else out there says-- there are plenty of people keeping pets in other different methods than YOU or anyone else keeps them. Everyone has their own methods. It works for them and their pets and if the pets are alive, thriving and content you should respect that.

Oh and if you got mad because I say I dislike cats--- I can't help it that I do dislike cats. I'm not a cat person--- I know nothing about them nor do they appeal to me in any shape or form. If I wanted a cat I would have asked about a cat.

this goes for anyone and everyone out there thinking they are the best of the best out there.

Here's a wake up call for you--- you're not a professional, you don't work in a zoo with the said animal, you're not a legit akc registered breeder even then it still wouldn't matter, because you don't have any degree or paperwork saying you are. Therefore as you have no physical proof you are not a professional or an expert.

That goes for anyone keeping whatever type of animal. I said it before that I wanted an animal that gives extreme levels of affection and obviously a dog is my only option for doing so. If I wanted human affection I would go over to my girlfriends and hug her. Point is a dog's affection is irreplaceable to me and is something I'm serious about.

Pssh

Arachnoknight
All of my cats were basically puppies. They followed me around, begged for attention, did tricks, etc. Plus they burried their poop! :)

Anywho, chihuahuas can be very rewarding dogs if you train them correctly. They are usually very willing to please, but they are not always the fastest of learners. Again, if you want a dog with a certain personality, you will want a dog that is at least 1 year old but 2 would be better. They can live for a really long time. They can be nippy and bark-crazy. Shelter chihuahuas are abundant. They are often a one person kind of dog and can actually get quite aggressive if not trained well. They cannot hold their little bladders as long as some other dogs, so frequent trips outside are needed.

My boyfriend has an adorable little chihuahua mix (looks like a chi-pug) who loves everyone. He likes me best though (why? I have no idea,) and he began to get very possesive of me but with a bit of training he got over it. He's a little bundle of energy then calms down into a couch potato (even when he isn't walked.) He spends a good part of the day out in the yard under the patio where he hangs out with his kitty friends and cuddles up with them in his small-medium bed. He was a stray that they took in when they found him with his brother. They were already at least a year old and had established personalities so they knew they wanted them. The other dog went to their cousin.

I really believe that you should just visit the shelters around you until you find a dog you want. Dont have a particular look/size/etc in mind, just look for the personality you want. We visited the shelter over 4 times to find my little girl and we have not regretted it one bit. She is a super-cuddler and is always trying to curl up right next to you (which is exactly what I wanted.) She's mellow, a good watch dog, undemanding, and smart. The fact that she is smaller and is an adorable black and tan color is just a plus!

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Agreed

You just solidified my case, thank you.
Indeed.

An english bulldog to me is small. I have a weird perception of size. For example a pitbull is large to me.
40 - 50 pounds = 40 - 50 pounds
You must be going by height... pits do tend to be taller...

So how is that getting what you payed for?
You were referencing veterinary medicine. There is a notable difference between going to low cost clinics versus developing a patient/client/doctor relationship with a reputable veterinarian. Many people end up spending extra at at reputable animal hospital after inappropriate services at a cheap clinic.

In that same vein, if searching for a purebred animal, paying more for a puppy from a reputable breeder will be better in the long run than paying less for an animal that is mill-bred or 'backyard' bred.

Better re-read that definition. It does not apply to dogs.

Just because some kid thought he's cool to put other people down
Yo, Junior, I have grandkids older than you, and some of them are parents. I've been in veterinary medicine, including shelter medicine and other aspects of animal care and rescue for more than forty years. I've seen first hand the results of "I want, I want, I want", then the people are unable or unwilling to appropriately care for what they got. Many, many people live lifestyles that are not conducive to being good dog owners. That's why so many dogs end up with behavioral problems and/or surrendered to rescues or shelters. Dogs are a 24/7 responsibility.

Posting on an arachnid forum about "What kind of dog should I get..." is not research or gaining experience. Try reading some books on dog behavior. Authors like Patricia McConnell (The Other End of the Leash) and Jean Donaldson (Culture Clash)would be a good start to learning dog/human interaction and responsibility. Volunteer at an animal shelter or with a local rescue group. Get a job at a local animal hospital. There is only so much you can learn sitting at the computer.

I, and most others who posted, were giving you straight forward information, no sugar coating. Maybe with maturity you will learn to handle reality. Some do, some don't. If you need a sugar-titty, this is not the place to look for it.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think what others are trying to say, somewhere deep :rolleyes:, is that if you aren't home & someone lets the dog into your room without thinking, you could have just some tufts of fur left. Simply because you may be going for a lower prey drive, but when the human is removed from the situation, all bets are off :(

If you can get past the hair, you should look into an Australian shepard or sheltie. Not saying one wouldn't eat a pet rabbit, but herding breeds are bred to guard livestock & can be trained to accept a wider range of animals that others might accept as prey.

Now I don't know how hard it would be to train any dog to accept a rabbit. I just know there are plenty of dogs that are capable of being trained to watch chickens, despite the number of dogs that would just rather eat them.

Now a mix might still be a good idea, depending on the other half. Sometimes it can dull down what a breed has been bred for. Although it might not :D

I myself have a dachshund x australian shepard mix. He's actually alot like what you seem to want, minus my dog does have a high prey drive. It is feasible to find a couch potato & good hiking dog all rolled into one. Mine's passed right now, but all I need to say is "ball" & he'll be on his feet as a different creature from the one passed out.