Dog advice

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey everyone,

Just today a 2yr old female pitbull was brought into the clinic I work at and the owners can't afford to pay for the medical bills to treat this dog (She has Parvo) so they've surrendered her to the clinic instead of euthanizing her. Once she get's better she's going to be put up for adoption and since my future roommates and I have been talking about getting a dog I decided I'd like to adopt her.

There are some things I will need to get done with her, such as her vaccinations and everything, she's never been under a vets care before. She's understandably nervous and frightened, but she's a sweet girl when you get her to calm down and I hope the nervousness will eventually go away.

I've only interacted with her for a little while, so I hope to get to know her better and I hope she eventually gets over her nervousness, if she doesn't what are some good ways to help her?

I'm hoping when she gets better and we can move her into the dog runs instead of the little cage in our isolation room, that will help calm her down some.

Also, my soon to be roommates have 2 cats. The original owners of this dog also had another dog and 2 cats as well, so I'd like to THINK she'll be ok with them, but what are some good ways to go about introducing them and making sure there won't be an inccident?

Unfortunately the county I'm moving into has laws regarding pits (and other breeds) when not fenced they need to wear a muzzle or you have the pay the money and go through the class to get a breed ambassador vest which is what I'll probably do.

I do know some stuff, I mean, my family does own a dog, and I DO work in a vetrinarian clinic but if there is any advice you'd like to give me that would be great!!!

Her name is Junebug. I'll get pics up when I can.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's REALLY odd for an adult dog to get Parvo, which is almost always a disease of puppies or elderly dogs with pre-existing health issues. That alone would send up a "red flag" that something could be going on with this girl, too, in terms of some underlying health problem.

The success of introducing a cat and a dog usually depends on the CAT. Even dogs which were raised with cats and had shown no aggression towards them will often chase and kill cats which react by arching up, hissing, or running away. Such behavior triggers the dog's prey drive, which in all terriers(APBT's ARE terriers) is very high. Keep the dog on a short, strong leash and a properly fitted choke collar and closely watch her for signs of prey-driven behavior, like lunging, staring and extreme exitement over the cats. Better yet, put the dog in a sturdy crate, and put that in a room with the cats, and let them get introduced slowly that way. Correct any behavior on her part that indicates a bit too much interest in the cats.

pitbulllady

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She wasn't vaccinated against it, adult dogs getting parvo does happen, i've seen it before. I also don't think she was in a very good home before, she was absolutely LOADED with the BIGGEST fleas I've ever seen and I don't know if we've completely run other tests so there maybe more parasites we don't know about, otherwise she has been given a pretty torough exam and I don't think they found anything else wrong with her.

Thank you for all the advice, I'll start looking for a large crate I can use for that, or I'll talk to my roommates see how they want to do it, luckily her cats were also raised around dogs, so I'm hoping this goes well, but I'll be taking as many precautions as I possibly can. He'll also be introduced to my parents cats and dog first since I won't really moving in with my friends until December.

What's a good way to reccomend to 'correct behavior'? Our dog was very well trained when we got him so we didn't really have much to do in the way of training? I'll of course be doing a ton of research on my own as well so I can learn as much as possible before I get her. :)

Are there any books you really reccommend?

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I haven't read any recent dog training books, so I can't help you there. I would definitely make sure the dog has on a correctly-fitted, sturdy choke collar and a strong nylon or leather leash. I know a lot of people don't like choke collars, but when dealing with physically-powerful, determined and sometimes hard-headed breeds, they are a must. There are many books that describe how to correctly apply a choke-collar correction and put one on correctly, since if NOT used the right way or put on the right way, a choke collar can be useless, if not detrimental. Again, though, I'd make the initial introduction with the dog in a crate and watch her behavior. APBT's show signs of prey aggression often by loud, shrill barking and screaming, almost like they're in pain. It would probably also be a good idea to give her a good, long walk or play session before crating her for the meeting with the cats, so that some of that energy is spent. A tired dog is generally going to be a bit more agreeable than one that's got a lot of pent-up energy(and believe me, these dogs can have a LOT of pent-up energy).

pitbulllady

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm familiar with choke collars and using them, we had to have one for our collie/greyhound. I'll definately remember walk/play with her before then. :)

Another question, I won't acctually be moving in with my friends until december but the other roommates will be out mid-november so we were going to start introductions everything before I acctually move in, and then take her back to my house. Would that be a problem? To go over and work on introducing them every day and then to take her home? I talked it over with my roommates and we agreed this would be they easiest way to go about it unless it's not reccommended?

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm familiar with choke collars and using them, we had to have one for our collie/greyhound. I'll definately remember walk/play with her before then. :)

Another question, I won't acctually be moving in with my friends until december but the other roommates will be out mid-november so we were going to start introductions everything before I acctually move in, and then take her back to my house. Would that be a problem? To go over and work on introducing them every day and then to take her home? I talked it over with my roommates and we agreed this would be they easiest way to go about it unless it's not reccommended?
I don't think that way will present a problem, and probably that introduction in gradual increments, followed by going home, would be best for both her AND the cats.

pitbulllady

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Alright thank you.

Now I just hope I get the dog. :eek: Even though I already talked to the doctor and said "I definitely want to adopt this dog!" they had another family in looking at her today. A little annoying personally since I'd already said I was going to adopt her. But I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
just thought I'd update this. The other family decided not to take her which means she's mine. :) I've very excited, now I just have to get the OK from the doctor so she can come home!