Does your G.rosea burrow?

Does your G.rosea burrow?

• Yes my G.rosea makes nice burrows.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Yes it burrows somewhat but it is a half-hearted attempt.

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • No it does not burrow.

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • No the substrate is not deep enough for it to make a burrow.

Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
I have heard that G.rosea is not an obligate burrower. I bought a G.rosea the other day and since then it has constructed a nice deep burrow and spends a good amount of time in it. I just wanted to know what others have experienced with this species.

Last edited:

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have two adult females,
They both have enough substrate to burrow, but dont.
One moves its substrate around somewhat, but hangs out next to its hide.
The other spends half its time in the hide and the rest on top of it.

The 100 slings sit at the bottom of their deli cups looking up, waiting for the lid to come off and the week old crics too fall in.. :D

Ernie

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a "red" phase 4.5" female and a "normal" phase 5.5" female and both are in foamariums with caves. the normal phase rosea stays out in the open and has not used the cave. the red phase is usually in one of the caves. there is not enough substrate to burrow.
Ed

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
Here's a pic of the burrow. She is currently munching a cricket which is not visible in this not so good image. Substrate is about 5" of 60% peat with remaining 40% consisting of a paver underlay/sand mixture. All was slightly dampened when I mixed it and put it in the 5 gallon enclosure this past Sunday.

John
];')

Attachments

superbug

Arachnopeon
my rosie just takes his burrows and makes them better. He likes
to make elaborate entrances and lays carpet =D

minax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The 2 I have seem to just use the corkbark cave I give them. But they do "modify" their homes, making the burrows much deeper and pushing around alot of dirt to their own preference. They also carpet everything, especially the female.:D

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have several rose hairs right now and I find that they prefer a hide to a burrow... but often dig under the hide to suit their needs.

Shadrach

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I agree with Chris I offerd my Rose Hair a hide log and she has dug the substrate out from under it and modifyed her existing hide making her a nice sheltered burrow.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I have 3 of them, 2 adult females, and what I think is a juvenile male. None of them burrow. The juvie pushes ALOT of dirt around. Of the females, one of them hangs out in the open 100% of the time. Usually in a threat position to the male that lives with her LOL
The other has a cork bark log, and she sits either in it, or on it most of the time.

MR.SMITH

Arachnopeon
Originally posted by Chris
I have several rose hairs right now and I find that they prefer a hide to a burrow... but often dig under the hide to suit their needs.
My Grammostola rosea tarantulas exhibit these same behaviors.

MR. SMITH

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You saying that you are keeping some rosies communally?

This I find interesting... what are your observations on it other than the female threatening a lot?

rodney

Arachnopeon
female borrows ,male does not. put new substrate called forest floor in tank and she built deep borrow,has two entrance one in front of tank and at back.she did a nice job.

T. blondi

Arachnopeon
I don't know if my past T's count. Because currently I have no Rose Hairs. Our G. rosea "Vladamir" (10/05/96) never had a burrow.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Mine is the mother of all burrowers. She's outdug both my Haplopelmas, not to mention every other spider I have. I haven't seen her for a long time, but I can see movement down the hole if I disturb the tank.

Bill

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Originally posted by Chris
You saying that you are keeping some rosies communally?

This I find interesting... what are your observations on it other than the female threatening a lot?
Chris, if you are asking me that question, the answer is no. But I have a male/female pair that have cohabitated and mated for close to 3 months now. I keep expecting him to end up as lunch one of these days, and it probably will, but it will be interesting to find out just how long she tolerates him!

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My G. roseas all have scraped a little bit of dirt out from under their slabs of cork bark, forming dish-shaped pits, but that's all the effort they've ever put into it.

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My female rosie burrows just as much as my cobalt while my male doesn't do anything.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Here's photo of the burrow my immature G. rosea has built in a 2.5 gallon aquarium. Of my 2 mature roseas, one has burrowed; the other (admittedly in a non-burrowing set-up) has done little or no earth-moving.

Joy

Last edited:

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
Wow that is quite an extensive burrow system your rosea has built. Mine is still working on hers. I'll have to see how it turns out.

John
];')

Advocatus

Arachnopeon
Mine is too lazy to burrow ... she just settled herself in a hollow scull I gave her as a christmas present :)