does vapeing affect tarantulas and other inverts

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
im not promoting nicotine usage im just asking for educational purposes. so my dad tends to vape alot and he does this some times in my room where i keep my spiders is it okay for them to be in the vicinity of it

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I don't know so I can't say a legit 'Yes' or 'No' now about this 'vape' thing, but in all honesty to never let smoke (cigarettes, cigars, vaping or not isn't important) or other stuff containing chemicals or whatever, enter in the room where 'you' keep inverts, never harmed no one.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Just thinking intuitively without any kind of data backing concerning specifically vaping- nicotine is a natural insecticide. Not saying the concentration is enough to be harmful, but just based on that I'd be wary of letting that anywhere near my inverts. Better safe than sorry.

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
okay thanks
Just thinking intuitively without any kind of data backing concerning specifically vaping- nicotine is a natural insecticide. Not saying the concentration is enough to be harmful, but just based on that I'd be wary of letting that anywhere near my inverts. Better safe than sorry.

Dave Jay

Arachnoknight
In another thread this was discussed and while neonicotoids are toxic to insects, they are less toxic to arachnids. Neonicotoid based pesticides are not particularly effective at killing arachnids so its thought smoking or vaping in a room is unlikely to result in a spider receiving enough to have an adverse effect, but then again humans take a long time to die from smoking!

I smoked around fish for 30 years, and scorpions for about 4 years with no obvious effects, but who knows really? Obviously I wasn't blowing smoke at or in the enclosures/tanks, but the room would get quite smoke filled on occasion.

I cant say recommend it, but I wouldn't panic too much.
Btw, not all vape liquid contains nicotine, here we can't even easily buy it with nicotine in, mostly it's flavoured steam I guess. I chose to use an inhaler instead. I've been 5 months without a smoke now but I'm still addicted to nicotine and the doctor says it's not a problem, nicotine by itself is not very toxic to most animals.

Last edited:

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I have no idea about vaping, but I have been smoking regular cigarettes in my home for years with no bad effects for my tarantulas (as far as I can tell, at least).

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Doubt anyone can answer unless they done research/tests.
I doubt it though, I vaped in my T room with no ill effects.
I don't do it anymore though.

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
I doubt that anything serious would occur unless your dad is blasting pure nicotine lung cancer death fumes into their enclosures.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
I have wondered this about a few things and never found anything definitive (not about vaping but about things like cleaning supplies, essential oils, and the various products I use to tame my Garth hair). I err on the side of caution and try to keep it all those spray products away from my critters.

Also, smoking inside is stinky. :p

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
I have wondered this about a few things and never found anything definitive (not about vaping but about things like cleaning supplies, essential oils, and the various products I use to tame my Garth hair). I err on the side of caution and try to keep it all those spray products away from my critters.

Also, smoking inside is stinky. :p
yeah i guess thats the good thing about vapeing is it smells nice

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
I'm a long time die harder smoker (Marlboro Red or nothing :cigar: no 'fake-fashion' smoking like vaping or 'Bob Marley & Amsterdam' stuff) but I'm 101% with you on this.
When it comes to smoke, I don't really like it around my T's at all. That being said, I'm a smokey being. In my last apartment I would (very occasionally) smoke a cigarette with the windows open in my room. Incense was not allowed in the bedroom though. Might have something to do with the fact that I'm not addicted to incense, but there's something in my gut that keeps it out of the room with the T's. I don't even like being in the same room with it while it's burning, feels heavy.

Nowadays I don't smoke inside my own home, but god do I love smoking indoors. Once a week I go to my friends (perpetually messy) house to do nails, and it is the most therapeutic 5-8 hours of smoking cigarettes and ashing in things that aren't ash trays. Magical, I tell you.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
As a smoker, I've never understood why you'd want to devalue your house and make it smell and look very unsightly.
Making a disgusting habit even more vile :doctor:

I would never smoke around my Ts or any of my animals for that matter.

Last edited:

HOPE OF ALL

Arachnopeon
尽量让你父亲不要吸烟吧,烟或许对它造成一些不良影响
Try to keep your father from smoking, which may have some bad effects on it.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
im not promoting nicotine usage im just asking for educational purposes. so my dad tends to vape alot and he does this some times in my room where i keep my spiders is it okay for them to be in the vicinity of it
Nicotine kills insects, and may do the same for arachnids.

Why would you expose chemicals to an animal that is not evolved to handle them?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
When it comes to smoke, I don't really like it around my T's at all. That being said, I'm a smokey being. In my last apartment I would (very occasionally) smoke a cigarette with the windows open in my room. Incense was not allowed in the bedroom though. Might have something to do with the fact that I'm not addicted to incense, but there's something in my gut that keeps it out of the room with the T's. I don't even like being in the same room with it while it's burning, feels heavy.

Nowadays I don't smoke inside my own home, but god do I love smoking indoors. Once a week I go to my friends (perpetually messy) house to do nails, and it is the most therapeutic 5-8 hours of smoking cigarettes and ashing in things that aren't ash trays. Magical, I tell you.
I'm happy to hear that some old school smoker still exist! Seems to me that nowadays, being a cigarette smoker, is worst than be a people smuggler or sorta, for some nuts :)