Does ts sling with huge abdomen experience molting problems?

Fosh Smithi

Arachnopeon
Hello. So I have my B. Smith sling for under my care for 2 months now. It already molted twice under my care. But I've noticed lately that his/her abdomen gotten really large. I am just worried if he/she may suffer in molting problems? I Been feeding my ts b. Lats nymph aaaa.jpg s with 2days interval.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
LOL a large abdomen is very good for a sling. They're supposed to eat as much as possible to grow fast. When their abdomens get REALLY big, they're in premolt. Oddly enough, your tarantula in the picture doesn't have a very big abdomen at all.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
That abdomen doesn't even look super huge. Your spider will fast before a molt if u get it too chubby. No molting problems from a Klump sized sling.

sasker

Arachnoprince
I doubt that adult spiders will have molting problems due to overweight either. Sure, they can have sores under their abdomen from dragging their body over the substrate and they are more prone to get injured in case of a fall, but I have not yet heard or seen anyone with a tarantula that had molting problems because it was obese.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
nope. thats myth someone made up a few days ago. never heard of it before then.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Nope, it's a myth that's been going around for ages (the worst culprits for perpetuating this bovine faecal matter are people in FB Tarantula groups) that needs to die twice.

Slings only have two purposes in life, eat until fat enough to moult and avoid getting eaten.

Also, their abdomens tend to swell up massively prior to starting a moult, I think it's due to them secreting fluids to separate the old exoskeleton from the new one but I could be wrong, the voices sometimes tell me porkies.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
My B. Hamorii ( Smithi) sling is about the size of yours and its abdomen was about twice the size of its "head" and it molted perfectly fine