Does this look like molting?

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey My A. versicolor sling has sort of suspended itself with 4 legs on the backdrop and 4 legs clinging to a little bit of web. It has been in the exact position for quite some time now and I'm wondering if it looks like it's molting (picture below). And If it is molting I'm a little worried that as soon as it comes out of his molt he will just fall. It's about 6 inches above a peice of wood and mabey a little less than a foot too the ground. And it looks like if it were to fall it would bounce off the wood and land on the ground quite a distance below. Should I place a towel underneath it just in case?

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
avics are arboreal. don't worry the spider knows what it's doing. :)

btw, she is in premolt

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
avics are arboreal. don't worry the spider knows what it's doing. :)

btw, she is in premolt
Ok I just hope shes alright! And if those are her premolt colors, I wanna see her freshly molted colors! she is still in that position now, hope she does alright (thats if she is molting).

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 PM ----------

Oh he just went back to webbing. Disappointment:eek:.

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, s/he looks like its in premolt! About what size is the little feller? And what arachnophile223 said, they are arboreal. Think about this. In the wild, they are probably 20 feet from the ground, and on a webbed hammock.

Its in their blood. Yours is fine ;) And what size is it? If its like 2.75 or 3", im SURE it will get its adult colors when it molts {D

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, s/he looks like its in premolt! About what size is the little feller? And what arachnophile223 said, they are arboreal. Think about this. In the wild, they are probably 20 feet from the ground, and on a webbed hammock.

Its in their blood. Yours is fine ;) And what size is it? If its like 2.75 or 3", im SURE it will get its adult colors when it molts {D
It was sold to me as 2 inches. might be a little bigger, I'm horrible at telling the size by looking at it:rolleyes:.

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well.. At that case, probably wont get its adult colors this molt.. But it most likely will in the next molt after this one! ;)

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
No prob :) . T's can do alot of things that look iffy to us, but they are pretty good about keeping themselves alive. Beautiful sling btw.

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well now she really is molting! I'll try to get photos along the way!

Photo- just beginning-I can see some red on the new abdomen!

Last edited:

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Any updates bro!? I guess I was wrong :eek: Looks like she IS getting her adult colors :D

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah I just put a towel under her so if she falls she can land on somthing soft and not have to fall a great distance.
New picture!

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer

After the 2.25" mark they ussually start getting adult colors. At least in my experience.

Really? Well, you could always put a towel RIGHT under her. I would, cause that position is just taking chances {D
Smallara, First you say its fine now its not.. Stop giving such short sighted advice.. :rolleyes:

Hassman- Thats an epic picture! Thanks for sharing. :D