Does this jumping spider look like a male or female?

gorybmovie

Arachnosquire
This is Ichabod. It's a P. Audax that I found living above my front door. Before the molt I thought Ich looked female. Ich just molted and now I'm not so sure. What do you think? Any info you have on the sex and/or age of Ichabod is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

egyptiancrow

Arachnobaron
ich looks like a very hongry girl.

her pedipalps have a bit of flare but its not abnormal for a girl. you should check her underside for an epigynum.
If shes not mature i suppose she could have some room to change, but she looks like a subadult or adult girl to me.

ive raised maybe 200 and have 100 more in my room cause i breed audax. ive got 2 girls and plan to hold one back. ive gotten quite good at sexing them as early as i can.

gorybmovie

Arachnosquire
ich looks like a very hongry girl.

her pedipalps have a bit of flare but its not abnormal for a girl. you should check her underside for an epigynum.
If shes not mature i suppose she could have some room to change, but she looks like a subadult or adult girl to me.

ive raised maybe 200 and have 100 more in my room cause i breed audax. ive got 2 girls and plan to hold one back. ive gotten quite good at sexing them as early as i can.
Thanks! That helps a lot! She just molted yesterday. I've been trying to give her space. Since she came out of her nest, I've been offering her food. She turned down a cricket even after I crushed the cricket's back legs. Then she turned down two mealworms. I finally got her to eat after I cut the end tail off of a mealworm. Maybe the exposed innards attracted her or she was just less threatened. I hate making the feeders suffer but wanted to do what I could to help Ich. At any rate, I am very happy that she is finally eating. Thank you for your informed response <3

Attachments

egyptiancrow

Arachnobaron
they do seem to love the innards 😅
no problem and feel free to let me know if you have any other questions or concerns about her. She looks like shes found herself a good home with you. They feel shy so soon after a molt but if she was out and about she was ready to eat. I'm sure shell be emboldened again in a day or two, i recommend waiting until then to feed her a whole prey item and then she should be golden again! :happy:

gorybmovie

Arachnosquire
they do seem to love the innards 😅
no problem and feel free to let me know if you have any other questions or concerns about her. She looks like shes found herself a good home with you. They feel shy so soon after a molt but if she was out and about she was ready to eat. I'm sure shell be emboldened again in a day or two, i recommend waiting until then to feed her a whole prey item and then she should be golden again! :happy:
Thank you! You've been so helpful with all of my questions. This is the first spider I've taken care of and I'm so happy that I joined this message board. I'm learning so much!