Does this enclosure look okay for a 1" T?

AHMR

Arachnosquire
So I have a 1" N.chromatus that is in a deli cup right now(pic 1).
Yesterday after thinking I had secured the lid back on after putting in it's water dish I sat on my bed. Then about 3min later I heard a pop. I looked and it was it's lid. It had unsnapped.
I realize it's user error but I truly thought it was latched on.
So my man told me I had to figure out a way to ensure that doesn't happen again and it gets loose(he's scared of spiders).
So I found this container to use(pic 2) with locking lid. No mistaking if it's latched or not lol
In the pic it's missing the water bowl(water bottle cap) and the spider. But does it look ok?
There are air holes all around the container and on the lid. The leaf is his hide,and I'll be adding another leaf from his deli cup for another place to hide as well. The rock is where I plan to place the bottle cap of water to keep it out of the substrate to help the water stay clean.
This is just to house it until it can fit into the large enclosure I have built(pic 3) so I just used what I had on hand to make a new enclosure for now.
So I just wanna make sure it's ok before transferring him outta the deli cup to the new locking lid container.
So this is ok for a 1" N.chromatus?
Thanks.

(And yes I know the rocks shouldn't be in the water dish in the bigger enclosure. My son put them there when helping me put it together and I just haven't taken them out yet. As no T lives in there yet anyways.)

Attachments

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
Its should be just fine. Generally no enclosure can be "To large" as long as you can easily find your T for feeding.

AHMR

Arachnosquire
Its should be just fine. Generally no enclosure can be "To large" as long as you can easily find your T for feeding.
Thank you for answering! I'm gonna transfer it now.
I'd put it in the big one I have but I fear I'd never find him in there lol so this lunch container will have to do for now lol

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
Thank you for answering! I'm gonna transfer it now.
I'd put it in the big one I have but I fear I'd never find him in there lol so this lunch container will have to do for now lol
Ya anytime, I usually stick to the leg span rules of 3.5x2.5 for this reason.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
i wouldnt bother rehousing it. the deli cup its in right now is fine for a molt or two, as long as theres a couple inches of substrate for burrowing. these guys like to burrow.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Couldn't you have just put something relatively heavy on top to keep the lid down? Also, enclosure looks great. Take some close up pics of the T, always love to see N. chromatus ;)

AHMR

Arachnosquire
Couldn't you have just put something relatively heavy on top to keep the lid down? Also, enclosure looks great. Take some close up pics of the T, always love to see N. chromatus ;)
Did that last night. He cowards the whole time and all of today until I took off the book :(
I'll take some close ups soon :) he's a very cute T. Just hasn't gotten his true colours yet.
But letting him settle in for a bit before I start bombarding with pictures lol(just got him yesterday morning at the local expo.)

AHMR

Arachnosquire
Altho I have these ones that I snapped quickly yesterday....he wouldn't uncurl tho. He was scared.

Attachments

AHMR

Arachnosquire
I say HE to describe him I've just noticed lol but I don't truly know the sex. Just sounds better then say "it" all the time lol

AHMR

Arachnosquire
Looking good! Hope he gets active in the new enclosure :D
He has actually! He was chilling out in the open. Something he hasn't done yet.
I was even able to take pics without him running for cover!
So here's a better pic of him....lol
His belly is full from a cricket today lol
(Sorry about the glare on the pic,but I took it thru the lid lol)
image.jpeg

AHMR

Arachnosquire
i wouldnt bother rehousing it. the deli cup its in right now is fine for a molt or two, as long as theres a couple inches of substrate for burrowing. these guys like to burrow.
I had to. Cuz had I made the mistake again thinking the lid was latched when it wasn't and the T got out,it could lead to disaster. My cat could get it,or my dog.
Or my man has said that if one ever climbs on him it'll meet his boot.
So for the T's safety I needed to have him in a enclosure that I KNOW he's locked into it.
He also has more then enough substrate to burrow :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Remove the rocks from the water bowl if you are concerned about the T drowning-- doesn't happen. Keep them in if you are concerned about crix drowning because they do all the time.

AHMR

Arachnosquire
Remove the rocks from the water bowl if you are concerned about the T drowning-- doesn't happen. Keep them in if you are concerned about crix drowning because they do all the time.
The rocks are in the dish in the bigger enclosure(the one the chromatus will go in once it grows a bit) only because my son put them there when helping make up the enclosure(I was originally going to the expo for a bigger T). When I rehouse the chromatus into the bigger enclosure I'll be taking the rocks out of the dish :)
I just let my son do it,as it kept him outta the dirt lol and cuz he wanted to help so badly lol
I just haven't taken em out yet cuz there is no T in the enclosure yet.

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Looks like a good home to me. In the future, if you're worried about an enclosure being too big just put the smaller one into the bigger one and laock them both down. Double the security without having to rehouse.

AHMR

Arachnosquire
Looks like a good home to me. In the future, if you're worried about an enclosure being too big just put the smaller one into the bigger one and laock them both down. Double the security without having to rehouse.
Now why didn't I think of that!?! Lol
That would have been waaaaaay easier lol(as I had to use a screw and screw driver to make holes in the locking lid container)

cold blood

Staff member
I predict you will see much much less of the t in the larger enclosure. I'd just put a wright or something on the deli cup Or just get a new lid), its a better place for a 1" specimen. Put a sling in a larger enclosure and they feel a greater need to hide....often this means a t that eats less willingly and therefore, grows at a slower pace.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
my man has said that if one ever climbs on him it'll meet his boot.
So for the T's safety I needed to have him in a enclosure that I KNOW he's locked into it.
He also has more then enough substrate to burrow :)
Your man sounds more boy to me...sounds like an over-reacting high schooler. :rofl:

AHMR

Arachnosquire
I predict you will see much much less of the t in the larger enclosure. I'd just put a wright or something on the deli cup Or just get a new lid), its a better place for a 1" specimen. Put a sling in a larger enclosure and they feel a greater need to hide....often this means a t that eats less willingly and therefore, grows at a slower pace.
Actually I've seen more of him in the new container then I did in his deli cup lol he was out in the open all last night. He only goes into hiding in the day(I'm assuming to sleep).
But he could be out in the open more now cause he's not as scared tho.

Your man sounds more boy to me...sounds like an over-reacting high schooler. :rofl:
No he's just petrified of spiders lol I don't think he'd actually hurt it,cuz he knows I love them,but he'd just probably ask me to never bring anymore into the house if one got out and onto him.
But I gotta give him props. Even though they scare him,he's ok with them in the house and supports my love for them.