does this butt look pre-molt?

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Godzilla it's facinating, marvelous and utterly nerves racking.

But as it's been said, up the humidity a bit and watch her.
If she flops over on her back Do Not panic, this is normal, make sure no live food is in with her and let her have time to harden with no disturbances afterward.

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes, for sure a pre-molt!! You can see the dark skin on the abdomen, the new hairs growing underneath. Nice spider!!!

Andy

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Nixy
Godzilla it's facinating, marvelous and utterly nerves racking.

But as it's been said, up the humidity a bit and watch her.
If she flops over on her back Do Not panic, this is normal, make sure no live food is in with her and let her have time to harden with no disturbances afterward.
I guess I'm just going to have to shoo my cats out of the room while she's in the molting phase. They have a morbid curiousity of my Tarantulas, especially my Rosehair. I see them craning their necks alot when she's on the move.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How come everytime I look at that butt I hear the donkey from Shrek singing 'I like big butts..'........

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Our cats sit on top of the tanks all the time.

They don't seem to really care about the T's, they just like the new place to perch and nap.

The T's don't seem the least bit bothered by them now.

It's a mutual ignore thing at this point.

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by genious_gr
LOL

(I only have a T.Blondie now)
Speaking of..I seem to remember you telling us that she(?) had escaped. Is she ok?
Peace,
Gillian

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Nixy
Our cats sit on top of the tanks all the time.

They don't seem to really care about the T's, they just like the new place to perch and nap.

The T's don't seem the least bit bothered by them now.

It's a mutual ignore thing at this point.
My cats used to do that to my Emperor Scorpion I had. Mind you they were just kittens. They would perch on top of her tank and she just hated it. She'd constantly be challenging them, raising her claws towards the tank's lid.

Last edited:

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
well, I told her y'all said

she was pre-molt but she doesn't understand English, and I can't speak Brazillian..so she ate tonite. Four crickets. Definetly isn't fasting. I think she forgot to read the Tarantula manual.
She did add a little to her webbing though. Maybe she just plans on expanding until she POPS out.

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This species is one of the most docile out there. ANd I was only getting ONE tarantula.
I did the exact same thing. That's why my first, (and so far only) T is a G.Pulchra. I love him/her though. Of course, I couldn't possibly make Peso as fat as your spider unless I put him on a daily diet of pinkies and bacon fat. That's the biggest Pulchra I've seen.
Have you tried handling yet?
Paul

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
yeah...

we have had her out a few times, and let her crawl across everyones hands...just kinda lined up each hand next to the other..then put her back real careful...so that she can just step off my hand and onto her substrate.
It is not something we have done regularly or often though, and the kids aabsolutely know they cannot get her out or open her tank at all ..thats my decision.

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It's been over a day and I'm still going back to that picture and say to myself, "darn, that's an amazingly fat spider." Anyone know if tarantulas have, what humans would call, compulsive eating?

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by lam
It's been over a day and I'm still going back to that picture and say to myself, "darn, that's an amazingly fat spider." Anyone know if tarantulas have, what humans would call, compulsive eating?
lmao leave the poor thing alone :p