Does the scorpion I want exist?

PENVermillion

Arachnopeon
I had an emperor scorpion for a long time that just passed away recently. I had kept him in a 5.5-gallon tank, which is now empty. I'm considering putting something new in there, but I'm no scorpion expert, so I'm hoping I can get some advice.

My emperor was really kind of lame - he just hid all the time, and very rarely moved around, so most of the time it looked like I was keeping either an empty tank or a plastic scorpion. I'm hoping to get something a little (actually, a lot) more active this time.

Here's how I envision my ideal scorpion friends, criteria listed in order of importance - let me know if there's anything that comes close to matching all or most of this stuff:

1. Active. I want something that actually moves around. Something that stings its prey would be cool, too, since my emperor never did (and he was pretty clumsy/lethargic with his claws, too - it's a miracle he ever caught anything!).

2. Not dangerous. I don't have any interest in handling a scorpion, and I'm careful to not go sticking my hand in where I can get stung, but I do have cats, and if somehow one of them got into the cage, I'd hate for something terrible to happen. Mind you, the cats have never gotten into the cages in 7 years, but you can never be too careful, right?

3. Not a big burrower/hider. My other current arachnopet is a cameroon red tarantula, but you'd have to take my word for it, because you very rarely see him. I'd like something that comes out into the open pretty often.

4. Communal. I think it'd be neat to get maybe 3 scorpions, I don't mind if they're a smaller species (they'd pretty much have to be smaller than the emperor, I suppose). That's assuming that my 5.5 gallon tank is big enough for 3 scorpions - if not, I can live with just one.

5. Not super-difficult to keep. I'm not an idiot, and I have the means and motivation to take good care of my scorpions, but at the same time, I don't want something that's going to be overly difficult or time-consuming.

6. Not black. This is not really a "requirement", per se, but I've had a black scorpion for many years, and I think something else would be cool for a change.

What do you think? Is there a scorpion out there that would be a good fit for me? Or is there something else that I should consider for this tank?

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,

Vaejovis spinigerus sounds like it might be of interest for you. Small scorpion, 5-6cm. They are a xeric scorpion, so easy to take care of. They are active too. At night they can be found foraging and digging, etc.

Also communal, and with a 5.5g tank you can easily fit around 10 in there.

Cheers,
Ryan

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think B.jacksoni would fit your needs, maybe some bark scorpions like C.hentzi or C.vittatus would be a good choice, those are super communal when they are adults.

But then again I am very fond of bark scorps :}

You might try an H.spadix or H.arizonensis if you are tired of the tropical species .

????josh????

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'd say go with C.vittatus, but be sure you know what morph you have; as there is both a xeric and a mesic morph of this species. They are very active (at least mine are), communal, colorful(orange with black/gray stripes), and not highly toxic. Pretty much any Centruroides species would fit your description though.

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm getting some Centuroides Vitattus the same reasons because of you.

PENVermillion

Arachnopeon
Hey, thanks guys, some good ideas in here. Here are the ones I'm most interested in:

1. Vaejovis spinigerus - looks good, but they're burrowers, right? Also, how big of crickets do you think they can handle? I already buy large crickets regularly for my tarantula, and I'd like to avoid having to buy 2 different sizes if I can.

2. Centruroides vittatus - these look pretty neat. I would want to set up the cage with some tree branches and stuff for them to climb on, right? Would some fake plants be a good idea as well?

I ruled out the B. Jacksoni, because they sound like they might be more venomous than I want, and even though I like the Hadrurus arizonensis, I should probably pass on them, because I see that they're apparently capable of spraying venom, and I'd worry that they'd find a way to tag one of my idiot cats with it.

CID143ti

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey PENVermillion,

V. spinigerus are small burrows. Many of them will build scrapes if given the chance. Personally, I live to give them heavily packed soil as a substrate with lots of small flat rocks so they can be given the choice. I would not suggest giving them large crickets. Smaller crickets work best.

C. Vittatus can be kept with some bark or flat stones resting on the ground. They don't need lots of vertical hides...but it looks really cool if you give them the chance to climb. You can give them fake plants but be sure to keep them away from the top. Centruroides are master escape artists.

I would consider B. jacksoni to have a some what similar venom to C. vittatus. Both scrops make great display animals. Personally, I prefer the B. jacksoni...they are heavier built.

Oh, don't worry about the H. arizonensis potential to spray venom. First off, I would be absoultely floored if they actually could. Secondly, as scorpions go, they have fairly week venom...something similar to what an emp might have. They are great display animals and can live communally, with some success, when given lots of space and food.

Good luck with your next choice,

W. Smith

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My C.vits are fun to watch. They run towards the crickets as soon as I put them in. They like to sting..a lot. {D

compnerd7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Bolth are good, but I can only vote for V. spinigerus cause that's the one i have.. 4 me, they are EXTREMELY easy to take care of, and all 4 of mine are out 24/7, they rarely hide when given perfered conditions. like said before, very comunal too.. just pick which one u like a get em' ... or just get bolth!:D :D

there's my 2 cents 4 ya ;)