does red claw really needs to be red?

emmille

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i just got a red claw scorpion but i'm not that sure if it's really a red claw because it looks like an emperor but with a smooth claw. as far as i know, emperors have rough granulated claws. mine have smooth but when you look at it under the sun its greenish & somewhat reddish. but as i see on some post, red claws are really red!! help!!!! :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

i'll try to post pics next week!!!

Vixvy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It might be a P.viatoris. pics maybe a help to ID it for you.

emmille

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ummm

yeah, i understand picture is much better to ID this! anyway, i checked P.viatoris on the web & it's not like mine. i really think it's an emperor..:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah, i understand picture is much better to ID this! anyway, i checked P.viatoris on the web & it's not like mine. i really think it's an emperor..:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:
If they are juvies they're plap's may still be smoothe... Other than that it may be some sort of heterometrus, what color is the telson, are the inside of the plap's granulated?

Ed

emmille

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
umm

i haven't checked on that one. let me just double check when i got home!!! i'm really thinking it's an emperor scorpion....:wall: :wall: :wall:

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was thinking it could be Pandinus cavimanus and the specimens I've kept have a reddish tint to their claws, legs, and telson in bright lighting it almost looks brown in normal lighting. They also are smaller in size as adults than Pandinus imperator

If you have a Pandinus imperator then it will be all black with the exception of the telson which is a cream color.

Both species will also have little bumps on the claws. If your specimen has smooth claws it is not a Pandinus species.

Brian

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Please also note how big they are in your next post. :)

Stone: I love your picture... is that a true species or a photoshop? Very intriguing.

Ed

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Stone: I love your picture... is that a true species or a photoshop? Very intriguing.

Ed
It is a true species but, the source doesn't say what species it is.

Story: The picture originally was from a library book about praying mantis'. I loved the picture so much that I mailed the author asking to use it. The author said, "No problem" so here it is.

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If they are juvies they're plap's may still be smoothe... Other than that it may be some sort of heterometrus, what color is the telson, are the inside of the plap's granulated?

Ed
This is definitely a consideration as young P imps are without defined granulation.

....If you have a Pandinus imperator then it will be all black with the exception of the telson which is a cream color.

Both species will also have little bumps on the claws. If your specimen has smooth claws it is not a Pandinus species.

Brian
I'd have to put my two cents in here, P imps do have color variation, see this post By Pandinus also P imps develop the granulation as they mature. Do your scorps have dark areas nearly black on the claws as in this pic P cavimanus

I have a P cavimanus that is nearer to brown than red, definitely not as red as in the above pic I linked, it does however have the black areas on the claws.

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is definitely a consideration as young P imps are without defined granulation.

I'd have to put my two cents in here, P imps do have color variation, see this post By Pandinus also P imps develop the granulation as they mature. Do your scorps have dark areas nearly black on the claws as in this pic P cavimanus

I have a P cavimanus that is nearer to brown than red, definitely not as red as in the above pic I linked, it does however have the black areas on the claws.
Thanks for the clarification. I forgot to include those minor details and now it is hopefully cleared up. I have seen the greenish and blueish tint in the imps. I've always categorized them as Pandinus sp. I guess I learned something new today.

emmille

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
pics

here are some of the pictures:

the tail....

so is it an emperor?

Last edited:

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Appears to be heterometrus... possible spinifer/longimanus or laoticus, or something else.. better pictures are need to even get an idea, but even a picture isn't a solid ID. If it is housed with emp's you may want to remove it at the risk of cannibalism. Although it is not guarenteed to attack others, heterometrus is slightly more aggressive genus. Without a better picture I say it could be cavimanus... but from what I make out it doesn't appear to be. First of all, it appears to be an adult bu texactly how big is it... how granulated are the 'plaps, does it seem any differnt than your other scorps, activity, aggression etc. Also note the color... is it a jet black? Most cavimanus that I see which lack a vibrant red seem to be lighter in color than emps and other heterometrus, (reffering to adults).

emmille

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ummm....

i don't think it's a heterometrus spp because of its little bit rounded claws compared to spinifers...:? :? :?

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It looks to smooth to be Pandinus . . . doesn't have as much hair, either. My vote's for Heterometrus.

Vixvy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
get a better picture. especially the top view and front then take some photos of its claws. but I guess its a heterometrus sp also at the moment.

emmille

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
lol

thanks monty!!! {D i'm making myself believe that it's a Pandinus!!! It's not fair if it's a Het because they cost only 1/7 of the total price of this one i bought. :8o :8o :8o

i do have Heterometrus spinifer & they look so different especially with the claws & the body is not bulky compared to the Hets i got. Does it make a difference if it's still subadult (referring to granules in claws)?

monty_

Arachnopeon
I dont think its a hetrometrus. I think its a cavimanus with a little darker claws than normal

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah definately not an Emp I dont think.. black telson just doesnt make sense.. it doesnt have heavy granulation but you can see the "pocked" surface of the claw.. and because of the claw shape I would say there is no way that a Heterometrus.. at least nothing like any I have seen.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So we're about half and half, which is quite confusing. You definently need better pictures of at least the pediplaps. Like I said in my post, I couldn't tell either or really. H petersii have more rounded claws and my laoticus have those "pockets" as reffered to by another member, but definently lack the amount of granulation on the outside of the pediplaps. The only place my laoticus have granulation is on the inside, which is haredly visible in a closed posture, which is why I wouldn't rule out H or P. Looking from a differnt monitor (these lcd's are junk compared to the old monitors in terms of sharpness I think) I thought I could see some red. Have you tried exposing it to sunlight to see if you could make the red more visible? Either way it's not an emp.