Does peat moss shrink?

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
A little over two weeks ago, a couple days before my B. smithi came (3" length, 2.5" legspan), I filled the tank up to leave about 3.5" of space at the top. Now there's a little over 5" of space all throughout the tank. Did the peat moss shrink? How am I supposed to fix this, because my T hasn't adjusted quite yet and won't eat; I'm afraid to disturb the environment any more than I have to.

Jennifer4783

Arachnopeon
It probably just settled, I usually pack it down a little so that it doesn't do that. As for filling it back up I would probably fill it now, so that after he settles in you don't have to disrupt him all over again.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
It probably just settled, I usually pack it down a little so that it doesn't do that. As for filling it back up I would probably fill it now, so that after he settles in you don't have to disrupt him all over again.
I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that; guess it's gotta be done then. Thanks for the reply. ^^

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Oh and one more question. I have a sliding top for the enclosure and every time I slide it open or closed, it vibrates the entire tank a whole lot and shakes the walls. It completely freaks my T out. Is there a type of oil or grease that's safe for Ts that I can put on the sliding top to minimize the vibrating?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
When peat drys out 100% it will shrink I know what you are talking about..... once in a while I wil get into some of my favorite cages and conduct maintance and add some water and use tongs to fluff the peat up some then pack it back down. But not really soak it. Just adding enough water to let the peat fluff up.... Thats the best way I can come up with to explain that.

As for your second question, you should only be getting in the cage once a week if that, so the vibration from you opening it to give prey items is not a big deal, no need to go out of your way to find something like grease.
You can just fill the water dish through the screen top, so no need to open it for watering.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
When peat drys out 100% it will shrink I know what you are talking about..... once in a while I wil get into some of my favorite cages and conduct maintance and add some water and use tongs to fluff the peat up some then pack it back down. But not really soak it. Just adding enough water to let the peat fluff up.... Thats the best way I can come up with to explain that.

As for your second question, you should only be getting in the cage once a week if that, so the vibration from you opening it to give prey items is not a big deal, no need to go out of your way to find something like grease.
You can just fill the water dish through the screen top, so no need to open it for watering.
Okay thanks, I'll refill the tank tomorrow. I feel so sorry for my smithi, she must be having a hard time adjusting. :(

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just remember once you have her set up the less you interfer the better off she will be. Its not an interactive pet, you want that go get a cat lol.....:D

pwilfort

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I never had it shrink but had it get some mold on it so I sopped using it,

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Peat often shrinks as it dries. When it dries enough to shrink noticably it is often beyond proper rehydration.

I stopped using it some time ago, most of my tanks contain Coir now instead. It is more prone to mould than peat but otherwise is the superior substrate IMO.

wonderfvl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Saddlepatch,
I keep most of my Brachys on 100% dry peat. The only moist spot in their housing is below their water bowl. Whenever I refill their water bowl I make sure some spills over for a little added humidity.

You mentioned your 3.5" of clearance increased to 5". I don't feel that's a significant height for your T to injure itself.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Saddlepatch,
I keep most of my Brachys on 100% dry peat. The only moist spot in their housing is below their water bowl. Whenever I refill their water bowl I make sure some spills over for a little added humidity.

You mentioned your 3.5" of clearance increased to 5". I don't feel that's a significant height for your T to injure itself.
Are you sure? She has slipped and fallen a couple times but walked away unscathed, so maybe you're right.
Wish I could overfill the water dish a little bit too, but Shelob has made a tunnel underneath the dish and claimed that as her new home. Even though I have a very nice log shelter in there for her. Little pest. xD