Does my T. lagunas have DKS?

speedyspiders

Arachnopeon
Hey guys, I think this might be my first post here, but I just read that DKS isn't that well studied so I thought I'd add a post with a video of my lagunas sling. It just molted about 5 days ago, so it's about 3 inches bigs now, and seems to have twitchy legs. I haven't tried moving it, but it doesn't seem all that keen to move. I dripped some water near its mouth parts and its legs and one of its pedipalps twitched. It looks like it could be DKS but I'm not sure.

Does DKS tend to start like this and progressively get worse? It wasn't at all interested in the meal worm so I'll try again feeding it tomorrow, but does anyone have any advice on what I could do for it?

Apologies if I've missed another thread blatantly outlining all of this, but I thought it best to share anyway. Thanks in advance.

View attachment lagunas.mp4

Nongkym

Arachnopeon
Since your sling molted 5 days ago I would wait a another week and allow it to acclimate more before offering food again. It is not uncommon for T's to not eat for awhile after a molt (hardening of fangs etc.). Make sure it has plenty of water. Has your sling been exposed to pesticides? Do you have other reasons to suspect DKS?

speedyspiders

Arachnopeon
Yes I understand how molting works. Maybe the video isn't sufficient enough to show exactly how the T is acting, so fair enough. I'm gonna wait it out anyway but it's not just the one leg, it's multiple legs, like I mentioned.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
That looks really unusual to me. DKS is of course just a 'syndrome' so there could potentially be many causes. Exposure to toxic chemicals, dehydration, who knows. I'd just keep an eye on it, as you're doing, and I wish you luck. Hopefully your little guy starts improving.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Too early to tell if your T has been exposed to toxins

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
At 3" your T. lagunas is a larger juvenile so you should be waiting about 10 days before attempting to resume feeding so that's most likely why it's refusing food.

As for the leg twitching, can't really say, doesn't look like "DKS" though, the thread below might be worth a read.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Tried feeding WAY too early. Luckily it rejected it.

Does it do that when the mealworm isn't present? Kind of looks like it was feeling for it.

speedyspiders

Arachnopeon
Hey guys thanks for all the replies. So it's been about 8 days now and the lagunas isn't looking good. When tapped lightly it moves around very strangely as if it's dragging its back legs. Almost all of its legs twitch and it generally seems to be pretty clumsy. It sort of falls around its enclosure.

I'll see if I can get another video but I don't want to bother it too much of course. I'm really starting to think it's got DKS now. Things aren't looking good for it, but I'll give it some more time before attempting to feed it.

You've been saying 5 days is much too short a time to wait before giving food, though we're now on day 8 and it still cowers away from anything I put near it.

I'll update in a couple of days because at 10 days after molting it certainly should be hardened enough to accept food, so if that's the problem we'll know for sure whether or not it's something else. But I gotta say it's not looking good at all :confused: