Does my S. subspinipes need a larger enclosure?

EightLeggedFrea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just bought an 8" adult Scolopendra subspinipes (bought from the Boards, sold as a Vietnamese orange-leg centipede). My second pede, after my 5" female Chinese redhead (who gave birth). I have it in a 10-gallon aquarium with 2+" of moist coconut fiber. I got it in the mail this morning and it's still very active and walks around and digs all over the place. Should I use more substrate in a deeper enclosure (I don't want the pede to be able to reach the top of the cage for obvious reasons) or will it be just fine? It also had a cave as a hiding place, inside of which I sort of made a rounded "crater" in the substrate.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The math you gave tells me that it will grow a little bigger and it will soon be able to reach the top sides. I have two orange legs and they are both at the 9 and 10 inch range. I use these 19 qrt rubber maid containers for all of my adult peds and I've not had any problems. They are taller than a standard 10 gal but not by much.

Those are 12 inch forceps for some comparison.

I like these types of containers better than glass tanks in part because it's easier for me to control the humidity. Just an idea but I think you might have it escape if you stick with the 10 gallon without an iron clad type of lid.

swat_wilson

Arachnopeon
I think it will be much better for both your pede and you to get a taller tank :} it will grow much longer in the near future {D

and Vietnamese centipede is good at jumping at escaping from cage :razz:

EightLeggedFrea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It's already burrowed and is now nowhere to be seen. But I will find a Rubbermaid box of appropriate size tomorrow and get it all fixed up.

BTW do they REALLY grow longer when housed in larger cages? Sweet!

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
BTW do they REALLY grow longer when housed in larger cages? Sweet!
No, they have a programmed length they grow at that is defined by genetics. If the enlosure is too small, just like with a T, you could have some molting problems but it's not near as problematic as it would be for a T.