Does my hentzi dislike it's enclosure? D:

MissChelly

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

That's the cage I currently have him (or her) in, but ever since I put the hideaway inside, it's been either on the side of the wall like in the picture above, or else it's higher up, clinging to the wall... it doesn't seem to step down much at all except to poop. :? I'm pretty sure it isn't the substrate, I used coconut husk and it was fine walking on it when it was first put in it- it makes me wonder, is it possibly afraid of the hideaway? I'm not sure if that's a silly question or not. :8o I just figure to ask since it doesn't climb the wall near the hideaway, only to the left of the cage, opposite of the hideaway. o_O It's a pretty basic cage till I try my hand with acrylic glass, but from what I've read on here and in the Tarantula Keeper's Guide, simple is good. So any thoughts?

Oh! It was a wild caught one... which I know no tarantula is "domesticated," however is it possible since it was used to wandering wherever outside, being in a cage does technically feel "different" to it at all?

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Its exploring the enclosure. Leave it alone so it can get familliar with the enviroment. It will take about week or two....

GForce14063

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have these as 1" slings and they like to burrow so you might want to put more substrate incase she wants to burrow.

MissChelly

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What's WC stand for? And it's been confirmed by multiple people as a female. :D

Anywho, she seems to be pretty fine in it for now. She's no longer climbing and is back on the ground of it. Yay! :)

Caramell

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
WC stands for 'wild caught' and CB is 'captive bred.' ;)

Hanes

Arachnosquire
If this behaviour continues you could fill the enclosure further with substrate to minimise a fall injury

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If this behaviour continues you could fill the enclosure further with substrate to minimise a fall injury

You should fill the cage with substrate regardless if the behavior continues. Do it as soon as you can, to minimize the risk, do not wait until it's too late and the T gets injured. Even if it was not behaving as such, the substrate should be high enough so the front legs can touch the top while it's back legs are still on the substrate.