Does my girl look healthy?

Mbranconnier

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone! I would like to share a few pictures of my T. Albopilosum. Does she look healthy? She has not eaten yet and I’ve had her for a little over a month(my first T). Also, does my substrate look too dry? At first she was shy and only stayed in her hide. Over the past week she has been showing herself more. But I’ve noticed she’s always either sitting in her water dish or near it? Maybe to assist with a molt? C455A5AF-B773-4FA5-BAEA-8EBC47D28308.jpeg 15D06A72-7C33-4ACB-9108-13E78645777A.jpeg 9A7C8DDE-4A52-451B-8D31-12AA470A97C3.jpeg

Thanks everyone.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
She looks healthy. B albos should be kept on moist substrate, maybe that is why she sits on the waterdish. Overflow the waterdish and keep most of the sub damp

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yes, despite what some caresheets may say, T. albopilosum does well on moist substrate. They are hardy Ts and can withstand dry periods, but some substrate moisture is optimal for them.

Mbranconnier

Arachnopeon
She looks healthy. B albos should be kept on moist substrate, maybe that is why she sits on the waterdish. Overflow the waterdish and keep most of the sub damp
Thank you! I will do the overflow method.

Yes, despite what some caresheets may say, T. albopilosum does well on moist substrate. They are hardy Ts and can withstand dry periods, but some substrate moisture is optimal for them.
I’ll moisten it up a little bit. Also, do you believe she is in pre molt?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
The abdomen will darken a lot more when she gets further into pre-moult. She may be starting to enter into it, but she's not very close, in my opinion.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
She has a nice, plump abdomen so overall I think that she looks healthy. That large bald spot on her abdomen is from kicking hairs, which they do both to line the entrances of their burrows and also in times of stress. The fact that she's been hanging out on and around her water dish does suggest that her enclosure may be too dry, though. I've seen Ts standing over their water dishes in overly dry conditions, which happens a lot when our heaters are running during the winter.

Mbranconnier

Arachnopeon
She has a nice, plump abdomen so overall I think that she looks healthy. That large bald spot on her abdomen is from kicking hairs, which they do both to line the entrances of their burrows and also in times of stress. The fact that she's been hanging out on and around her water dish does suggest that her enclosure may be too dry, though. I've seen Ts standing over their water dishes in overly dry conditions, which happens a lot when our heaters are running during the winter.
I'm thinking she has started pre molt because she has not eaten one thing. I have offered food several times. I am going to moisten the substrate today. She did line the entrance to her burrow with silk (which was amazing to watch). So it seems like other than the enclosure being a little too dry, I would say I'm doing everything right.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Fat and sassy. She's likely not eating because she is full. This species is the garbage disposals of the hobby and are most often far too overfed and overweight. Please keep an eye on their weight, once they are full grown, if they're a female.

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
That has got to be the cutest bald spot I have ever seen on a T :) I was also not aware they need moist substrate, good to know because I am hoping to get a couple soon. Those curly bristle hairs are just too adorable!