Does my Caribena Versicolor sling look okay?

yozhgobbin

Arachnopeon
Hello! Last week, I received my Caribena Versicolor sling. It's around 2cm big. This is my first arboreal tarantula so I do worry about it quite a bit (I've dreamt about something going wrong with the spider at least 2 times in the past week now). My main concern is her not eating. So far I've tried diced up superworms and b lateralis nymphs.
Secondly, I'd like some feedback on her enclosure. The substrate is completely dry. Please let me know if there's anything I should change about it.
Thank you.
20211201_104128.jpg
20211129_210223.jpg
20211128_195922.jpg

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Abdomen is large, so no worries on the food strike. Could very well be done eating until it molts. Keep the water topped off. Likely it’ll start to web and possibly roam very close to the molting time, that’s what all my avic slings did.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes

WHY WHY WHY are you worried when your T is fatter than the Sun and Jupiter??

WHAT research have you done on AB that causes you to worry???

yozhgobbin

Arachnopeon
Yes

WHY WHY WHY are you worried when your T is fatter than the Sun and Jupiter??

WHAT research have you done on AB that causes you to worry???
Haha 😂 It's just my nerves getting to me I guess.
Abdomen is large, so no worries on the food strike. Could very well be done eating until it molts. Keep the water topped off. Likely it’ll start to web and possibly roam very close to the molting time, that’s what all my avic slings did.
I'll be sure to do that then. Thank you for the reply.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Haha 😂 It's just my nerves getting to me I guess.

I'll be sure to do that then. Thank you for the reply.
I have a versi sling too also first arboreal out of all my t's it's the one that seems to be in pre moult the longest will refuse food for upto 3 weeks before itsy actually moults n also took a good week before itsy chose where to web don't worry your t knows what it's doing and if you get to paranoid about falls (I did itsy used to fling herself off the roof of her enclosure) you can always put a layer of sphagnum moss to help cushion any impact 😊 good luck with your little friend, sure she(hopefully) will settle in no time 😊 just be patient versi do nothing quickly imo 🤣

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
I won’t dogpile because Viper has nailed the point pretty well about worrying.

But that Lego piece scares me a bit, personally. Those joints have some sharp corners - just ask the bottom of my foot at 3am. For me, personally, I’d switch to a bottle cap or file those corners down and round them out to lessen the chance of an abdomen rupture should your spider fall (unlikely being arboreal but still possible) or get a little over zealous during a post molt feeding and somersault into it.

That said, I don’t keep versicolors at the moment so I have no idea about their feeding response and whether they get hyped about food enough to do that. But that’s just me. I’m sure someone will have some better educated commentary on my thoughts later - especially if I’m wrong. 😉

Craig73

Arachnoangel
That said, I don’t keep versicolors at the moment so I have no idea about their feeding response and whether they get hyped about food enough to do that.
Avics have great feeding responses in general. All of mine, including the versicolor actively hunt live prey. Only ones that have been hit and miss were the Y. diversipes when I kept those before sending them to a buddy.

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
Avics have great feeding responses in general. All of mine, including the versicolor actively hunt live prey. Only ones that have been hit and miss were the Y. diversipes when I kept those before sending them to a buddy.
I only really said that because my GBB sling will flip itself over to grab food and I don't know if versicolor would do that too lmao I just worry about sharp corners on things. I'm such a stickler for safe enclosures. I used a megablock as a hide for my female GBB and those have blunt corners - I still used my Dremel to round them out more

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I only really said that because my GBB sling will flip itself over to grab food and I don't know if versicolor would do that too lmao I just worry about sharp corners on things. I'm such a stickler for safe enclosures. I used a megablock as a hide for my female GBB and those have blunt corners - I still used my Dremel to round them out more
They’re not as nuts on a takedown like a gbb. They’re also not as quick to initiate a hunt, but when it’s on its on. Although I have seen on one occasion my A. kwitara jump and miss.😂

Two of mine stay up high and wait. The other three have no problem coming down to the substrate if needed.

yozhgobbin

Arachnopeon
But that Lego piece scares me a bit, personally. Those joints have some sharp corners - just ask the bottom of my foot at 3am. For me, personally, I’d switch to a bottle cap or file those corners down and round them out to lessen the chance of an abdomen rupture should your spider fall (unlikely being arboreal but still possible) or get a little over zealous during a post molt feeding and somersault into it.
I'd just switched it out 😊 Thanks for the advice

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Dont worry about it eating, its likely had its fill.

AS far as the enclosure goes I would hhave placed the fake plants up around the piece of bark on the top 25% for it to web in and around to feel secure, the plant cover is for it to use and hunt off of. Like this...