Does it pay?

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've been thinking. I mentioned in the enclosure thread that I need to get some enclosures that are more space efficient. There's too much dead space. But, enclosures costs alot, and I am on a limited budget. So I was wondering, if anyone here has ever resorted to just buying a slab of acrylics, and doing the job yourself.

Does it pay?

I'm thinking there are alot of benefits to this, but if the costs are mindblowing, it would kinda just be pointless.

Would love some inputs here, and if you have some tips that would be great too.

Dangergirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm making my own perspex enclosures with the help of a perspex company which is "bending" some of the pieces for me for added strength. The 12x12 inch cubes, with hinged doors, hasps and drilled holes for vents, are costing me $30 - and the most expensive ones are around $55 for a 18x18 inch. I'm also making some that are 8X18inch and 8X12X18 and some small cubes for spiderlings. This has worked out much cheaper than, for example, Exoterra tanks, and lends a uniform look to the enclosures on my shelves. I also like the crystal clear frameless look of the tanks :)
The jungle backing I'm photographing and printing on semi translucent plastic so when its lit at night it seems to "glow"

Yeah, yeah, a lot of effort for my T's but hey, I don't have kids and am newly single so have a lot of time on my hands {D

Look for companies that work with perspex - might be worth your while !
Tip I learned through looking at other peoples enclosures was - bent pieces for added strength, and at least 4mm or 0.15inch thickness perspex to prevent "bowing" or bending.

Last edited:

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't know what prices are in norway mate, but here in slovenia acrylic is about twice the price of the glass. Though it costs me about 30€ to make 6mm thick 25x28x25 cm enclosure and about 45€ to male 23x25x40 cm enclosure. Add about 15-20€ to that and you get the price what would cost me if I would make acrylic enclosures. I think its cheaper if you can go to some exotic enimal fair like austria, there are enclosures that size about 15-20€....

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Problem is, with the travel to austria, it will end up becoming a VERY expensive enclosure..

Thanks for the input, dangergirl. I will talk to some companies.

Thanks for the link Londoner =)

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here's a link to a thread WARPIG made about building his own custom acrylic enclosures.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=125036&highlight=acrylic+enclosure

They look fantastic. Just wish I wasn't such a slacker or I'd give it a go myself :D.
WOW I can't believe its been two yrs since I made those, I thought it was last summer{D

Need to make a few more, but I want to give a try at making a few glass enclosures, I love some of the European glass enclosures.

If folks can, make your own, its easy, saves you money and its really rewarding to say you made them yourself.

PIG-

Dangergirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, I've been told perspex in more expensive than glass ... but it can't break like glass, and weighs less. I'll post pics of the boxes on Monday (and step by step setups as requested by some members :eek:)

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
WOW I can't believe its been two yrs since I made those, I thought it was last summer{D

Need to make a few more, but I want to give a try at making a few glass enclosures, I love some of the European glass enclosures.

If folks can, make your own, its easy, saves you money and its really rewarding to say you made them yourself.

PIG-
Well one exo-terra enclosure similar in size to mine is like 3 times of a price I pay to make my enclosure, now you do the math. :D I would love that someone would use my design and make their own enclosure, thats why I posted y step by step to share an idea. :eek:

And yes I can tell you, its not greater feeling that you make your own enclosure and decorate it with live plants and bark and stuff. :)

AbraCadaver I belive you, I will go to Austria with three other friends myself and we have about 300 km to get there by car. I imagine you have really much longer to get there and much expansier. :( You can look for some fairs in your country if you have them, the prices are normally twice the lower than in local pet stores.