Does Hadrurus have strong pincers?

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
The pincers of all the Hadrurus species look so thin and weak, and they sting everything they catch, even tiny crickets. And they have no teeth, they're perfectly smooth. A Giant Desert Hairy looks like it could get its butt kicked by a Heterometrus sp. of the same size. Are their pincers actually strong at all?

DeeeeD

Arachnopeon
I believe that they use the pincers for grabbing their prey then injecting venom rather than crushing them to death that is how they have evolved. I doubt their pincers would be very painful. The asian forest scorps have huge meaty claws before they have small feeble tails and rarely rarely sting. You should put it to the test, buy both species and put them in a tank you will have your answer. The desert hairy might have smaller claws but it's faster and will use its stinger more readily i would put my money on them ;)

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I believe that they use the pincers for grabbing their prey then injecting venom rather than crushing them to death that is how they have evolved. I doubt their pincers would be very painful. The asian forest scorps have huge meaty claws before they have small feeble tails and rarely rarely sting. You should put it to the test, buy both species and put them in a tank you will have your answer. The desert hairy might have smaller claws but it's faster and will use its stinger more readily i would put my money on them ;)
I would never do that :( it would be interesting to find out though. The Desert Hairy would have to be pretty fast finding a chink in the Forest's exoskeleton, but I've seen videos of scorpions stinging crabs and beetles in the tiniest joints. They're deadly accurate.

DeeeeD

Arachnopeon
I would never do that :( it would be interesting to find out though. The Desert Hairy would have to be pretty fast finding a chink in the Forest's exoskeleton, but I've seen videos of scorpions stinging crabs and beetles in the tiniest joints. They're deadly accurate.
I currently own both species and my forest scorp is a little smaller in size it might have something to do with him being a male i dont know, im not an expert i'm still new to scorpions. I have watched a few videos on desert hairys killing tarantulas and such and i just dont think my forest scorpion could do that. he doesnt seem but enough and i think the stinger plays a big role in the killing.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I currently own both species and my forest scorp is a little smaller in size it might have something to do with him being a male i dont know, im not an expert i'm still new to scorpions. I have watched a few videos on desert hairys killing tarantulas and such and i just dont think my forest scorpion could do that. he doesnt seem but enough and i think the stinger plays a big role in the killing.
Ive seen desert hairies killing big tarantulas. The only tarantula that won against a desert hairy was a P. muticus. Although, there is a video of an Emperor fighting a King Baboon, and the Baboon got DESTROYED. It was bad. Clearly a tarantula's size advantage has little impact. I wonder if an Emperor could defeat a Goliath Birdeater.

DeeeeD

Arachnopeon
Ive seen desert hairies killing big tarantulas. The only tarantula that won against a desert hairy was a P. muticus. Although, there is a video of an Emperor fighting a King Baboon, and the Baboon got DESTROYED. It was bad. Clearly a tarantula's size advantage has little impact. I wonder if an Emperor could defeat a Goliath Birdeater.
Emperor scorps are a little larger than asian forest scorps and probably a few inches bigger than my one, i'm going to upload some pics see if i can get more info in him. Tarantulas may be larger but they can practically be stung anywhere so being larger may not be an advantage, the smaller faster spiders might be a more formidable opponent?

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Emperor scorps are a little larger than asian forest scorps and probably a few inches bigger than my one, i'm going to upload some pics see if i can get more info in him. Tarantulas may be larger but they can practically be stung anywhere so being larger may not be an advantage, the smaller faster spiders might be a more formidable opponent?
Goodness no. There are other videos of scorpions fighting spider of the same size, and the spider basically drops a limb every time it gets grabbed. The fight is always over in seconds.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
They are more grabbers than pincers and rely on their venom. They do the job in securing prey until the venom kicks in. Hadrurus are pretty formidable.

DeeeeD

Arachnopeon
Goodness no. There are other videos of scorpions fighting spider of the same size, and the spider basically drops a limb every time it gets grabbed. The fight is always over in seconds.
Yeah i notice they drop legs is it some form of safety mechanism? i think it's safe to say putting a scorpion and a spider together the scorpion will win most of the time except in rare occurrences. Spiders are more like assassins in my eyes and try to avoid open confrontations and catching prey in the web and relying on speed to escape dangerous situations its like putting a tank against a commando haha

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
They are more grabbers than pincers and rely on their venom. They do the job in securing prey until the venom kicks in. Hadrurus are pretty formidable.
I don't know... this is all convincing me that they're the wimpiest scorpions of all. At least the weak ones have strong venom, but Hadrurus doesn't even have that. So weak pincers, weak venom, they might as well not be as defensive as they are. They're dead.

Stugy

Arachnolord
So far in my experience with my DHS, she practically crushes any cricket she catches to death. If the cricket somehow survives the pincers and tries to escape then she will sting. I've never seen my DHS have to sting 3 times. Before I bought her, the guy at the pet store sexed her and got pinched real hard. He almost got stung also and he barely even opened the container. Desert hairys are mean buggers!

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
So far in my experience with my DHS, she practically crushes any cricket she catches to death. If the cricket somehow survives the pincers and tries to escape then she will sting. I've never seen my DHS have to sting 3 times. Before I bought her, the guy at the pet store sexed her and got pinched real hard. He almost got stung also and he barely even opened the container. Desert hairys are mean buggers!
Well maybe their palps are stronger than they look.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Exactly. Or my good little Vici (her name) is just a body builder by night lmao.
The pincers are still smooth and don't have the jagged teeth of the Pandinus or Heterometrus pincers, which means that they're still pretty useless for anything other than grabbing.

Stugy

Arachnolord
The pincers are still smooth and don't have the jagged teeth of the Pandinus or Heterometrus pincers, which means that they're still pretty useless for anything other than grabbing.
Eeehhh. I just checked mine and she has small jagged teeth on her pincers. Small but they are there. But they are by no means competitive to Heterometrus and Pandinus.

Greenjewls

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hadrurus mostly eat scorpions in the wild and they will pick a fight with an equal sized scorpion. They are a LOT stronger than they look and can fight for long periods without tiring. Also their exo is very hard. The sting is pretty useless against people but it stuns/paralyzes other scorps pretty good

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Hadrurus mostly eat scorpions in the wild and they will pick a fight with an equal sized scorpion. They are a LOT stronger than they look and can fight for long periods without tiring. Also their exo is very hard. The sting is pretty useless against people but it stuns/paralyzes other scorps pretty good
smh and people say scorpions can only eat soft prey

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Alrighty, I did find this:
apparently the pincers are strong enough to compress the beetle's wing covers, though I don't know how tough a longicorn beetle's wings are. Still a cool video regardless.