Does growth speed relate to lifespan?

Barons

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Does a slower growing T eat less often or living longer than a faster growing T?

I haven't found anything that goes into detail about the differences. Is it just that some can buy booze faster than others or is there more to it?

Cheers

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Basically:

Slow growth speed equals long life.
Fast growth speed does not equal short life.

Example: A. chalcodes and G. rosea grow slow and live LONG.
T.blondi and P.regalis both grow super fast, but T. blondi are reported to live three times as long.

I don't know of a slow growing tarantula that dies shortly after maturing, not counting males.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Yes slower growing Ts live longer than faster growing Ts.

My 2 cents: Mainly because slower growing sp are from a harsher climate and have adapted to go long periods without food. That means a slower metabolism and less food. Faster growing sp have adapted to the wealth of life around them with more food. I think its more reletive to the amount of food available in nature.

darthmarvus

Arachnopeon
still kinda on subject

now what about when you raise the temp and humidity to excell there growth does that shorten there life span?

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
now what about when you raise the temp and humidity to excell there growth does that shorten there life span?
Theoretically yes. It raises their metabolism, males mature faster and die sooner. Females also mature faster, but don't really worry about it, you will barely notice the difference in time lapse.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pterinochilus and Holothele are sp that grow fast and don't live very long. L parahybana grows fast but a female can live 10, 20 years.

The most obvious correlation would be that an animal with a short lifespan owuld need to grow fast, or else have little time left as an adult to breed.
Of course, cicaddas and mayflies escape this law : )