Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Does experience with OW tarantulas prepare you for owning a hot scorp?

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by Spiderkid, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Spiderkid

Spiderkid Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    Hey guys, I'm new to keeping scorps, but I have lots of experience with fast/defensive tarantulas (Poecilotheria, Pterinochilus, Heteroscodra). I've recently become extremely interested in getting an Androctonus bicolor. I've done a lot of research, and I'm well aware of their potent venom and nasty dispositions. I feel that they are in many ways similar to tarantulas, and that as long as I give them the respect they deserve, I'll be fine. Do you guys think that I would be ok getting an Androctonus with no previous scorpion experience? Also, how fast do these guys move, compared to something like a Pokie or an OBT?

• Like Like x 1
  2. k2power

k2power Arachnoknight

NC
    I would say tarantulas are more difficult to deal with since they can climb almost anything and are super fast (OW that is). It should be a piece of cake dealing with venomous scorpions although there is a greater risk of serious injury or death from a sting than from a bite of any of the above mentioned tarantulas. They certainly need respect but should be much easier to work with. I don't have more than C. sculpturatus but have no concerns about dealing with those compared to an OBT I have.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Aztek

Aztek Arachnoprince

Easier to work with but a bigger consequences.

4. Norm

Norm Arachnosquire

Thank you for asking this question! I've had this debate now, several times, with a friend of mine who does not keep Ts. I think if you can take on something like an angry OBT, H. mac, or P. ornata, that'll you'll find a scorp to be much easier to deal with. As stated above, certain scorps obviously have more consequence when/if a mistake leads to a sting. IMO, it's all about caution, and knowledge of the animal that you're dealing with. Something to keep in mind though, some scorps are able to spray their venom. I know a guy who was sprayed in the eyes by a species that is not known for it's ability to "spit" venom. I would recommend protective eye gear as a precautionary measure, during rehousing and cage maintinance...

5. Spiderkid

Spiderkid Arachnosquire

Thanks for all the input guys :D
    @Norm, I thought only the genus Parabuthus had the ability to spray venom. What species did your friend get sprayed by? Have you ever heard of this happening with Androctonus species?

6. Norm

Norm Arachnosquire

Mike "troll" Dame was sprayed by Hadrurus species. This can be seen on youtube, at troll quality. I don't know about Androctonus... Some scorps may spray as a reflex from being picked up by their telson.

7. Spiderkid

Spiderkid Arachnosquire

Again, I really appreciate all the advice. I think I'm going to go ahead and get a P. transvaalicus. I'll get an Androctonus as a second scorpion- I wouldn't want my first mistake to be my last :)

8. Norm

Norm Arachnosquire

P. trans can also be lethal. People have died from that species...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Spiderkid

Spiderkid Arachnosquire

Of course I'm going to treat it like any other hot scorpion, kept securely contained and not taken lightly. It just seems that this species is less potent than the Andros, and is far less likely to kill a healthy adult.

10. ~Abyss~

~Abyss~ Arachnoking Old Timer

Androctonus and L.q’s are not likely to kill a human adult if you have kids in the house that’s who you should be worried about. But a sting from hot species hurt like hell and it’s a pain that last weeks. That being said you should treat all scorpions with respect P.imperators to Lq’s and everything in between.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Aztek

Aztek Arachnoprince

They can make you sick.

The fact that you will not be killed doesn't mean you shouldn't worry about it.
    A lot of people just see "Won't kill you" and think you shouldn't respect it.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.