Does cork bark need to be "baked" before use?

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
I've got some store bought cork bark to use in some new pokey houses - - does it need to be baked like other wood? Or is it ready to go with just a good rinse?

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've got some store bought cork bark to use in some new pokey houses - - does it need to be baked like other wood? Or is it ready to go with just a good rinse?
I always bake it no matter what. Every time we buy some,small spiders and whatnot are always present in the small holes and cracks on its surface. 200 for 15 minutes is not going to hurt one bit.Extra piece of mind....

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I dont. I just give it a good rinse it hot water.

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have started too because sometimes even with a rinse and good scrub I have had some mold grow even on cork bark, and as stated previously you never know what is hiding in those little hard to reach places.

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't think its completely necessary in my opinion. Its just like baking substrate, no mater what you do, as soon as you even touch it, its contaminated again. Its like wearing a white suit in a mud wresting competition and trying not to get it dirty.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Can't you just microwave it? I've done that with substrate a few times.

Dangergirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Be careful either way !! I have set the microwave alight with bark, as well as in the oven. I mean, I am know to be a bit accident prone with fire but ... really ...:wall:{D

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Be careful either way !! I have set the microwave alight with bark, as well as in the oven. I mean, I am know to be a bit accident prone with fire but ... really ...:wall:{D
Lol, I bet that was a funny situation, I can picture a girl with a chunk of bark on fire in the microwave screaming and spraying a fire extinguisher everywhere in a cloud of powder/foam :D

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've never baked, heated or even washed cork bark. Just plop it in the tank.

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I havent baked either. I buy mine bulk from a LPS , and then store it in a 15g rubbermaid. When I need an new enclosure, I just open, select and install.

Havnt had any "known" issues as of yet.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Last batch I picked up from our LPS was full of black widows.The one darn time I did not bake,and look at what I got......LOL...There is still a widow living with one of our avic's as a matter of fact......

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Last batch I picked up from our LPS was full of black widows.The one darn time I did not bake,and look at what I got......LOL...There is still a widow living with one of our avic's as a matter of fact......
Wow, thats one dangerous LPS, lol. :eek: